Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
My original message went to Pentax. I received a reply telling me to contact John Pye Technical. I did so but received no response. Hope they do the necessary for you.

Colin
Unfortunately, what is necessary is replacement with a white solenoid to fully protect against future failure. Since the only part Pentax will supply is a green solenoid, the repair may not last as long as desired.

08-10-2021, 11:46 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Unfortunately, what is necessary is replacement with a white solenoid to fully protect against future failure. Since the only part Pentax will supply is a green solenoid, the repair may not last as long as desired.
Please re-read my post #53.. My post was a comment on my experience with John Pye, and not about the supply of a solenoid but an entirely different part. As it happens, I've already repaired my K50, and have a white solenoid with which to repair my K30 - if it becomes necessary.

Colin
08-11-2021, 07:38 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I choose not to argue with you, and sometimes put conversations with you behind me {which I am about to do with this one also}.
I have no problems if somebody brings valuable sound arguments!
Then this enriches.
I have problems with infinite loops

Before I leave, I will make one other comment: your solution depends on a scarce resource.
Strawmens argument: As long as the seller on ebay.com offers them, that's what counts.

And it doesn't really interest you at all!
You have declared 1000+1 times here in this forum that you are not going to repair your K30.

And you have declared 1000+2 times that one has the option you chose.

Only so many of the Japanese-made solenoids exist, and some owners may be like me.
I still use my "Super Program" on occasion and intend to keep it operable.
Strawmens argument²: I have corrected this error several times with you, I am surprised you have to repeat again what is not true:

Your Super Program uses a completly different solenoid:

And you know that!
You have participated in almost every solenoid-threat

Last edited by photogem; 08-11-2021 at 07:43 AM.
08-11-2021, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please re-read my post #53.. My post was a comment on my experience with John Pye, and not about the supply of a solenoid but an entirely different part. As it happens, I've already repaired my K50, and have a white solenoid with which to repair my K30 - if it becomes necessary.

Colin
Colin, I think this wasn't meant towards you at all. I saw it as a general well meant and sensible advice (as I saw yours!)

08-11-2021, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-70 has been out for a very long time to be worrying about relatively few failure reports.
08-11-2021, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Colin, I think this wasn't meant towards you at all. I saw it as a general well meant and sensible advice (as I saw yours!)
No worries, not intended to be combative, I was just clarifying as(my fault) I commented on the "John Pye" element.

Colin
08-11-2021, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The K-70 has been out for a very long time to be worrying about relatively few failure reports.
This is not anymore about the question of the original TO but the question a new member asked 1 day ago:
New K-70 and Aperture Block - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
His K-70 has the failure and he asked about repair.
So yes, relative to K30 and K50 cases (K500 as well) we have way less failures but they do happen occasionally.
I just repaired a K70 few days ago which had been repaired during warranty and failed again!

08-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
This is not anymore about the question of the original TO but the question a new member asked 1 day ago:
New K-70 and Aperture Block - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
His K-70 has the failure and he asked about repair.
So yes, relative to K30 and K50 cases (K500 as well) we have way less failures but they do happen occasionally.
I just repaired a K70 few days ago which had been repaired during warranty and failed again!
'

You do. a better job than they do, you probably see all of them
08-13-2021, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #69

My original message went to Pentax. I received a reply telling me to contact John Pye Technical. I did so but received no response. Hope they do the necessary for you.

Colin
I sent my camera off to them on Tuesday and they've come back to mer with an estimate 3 days later. The quote is well below what I was expecting is so I will proceed with it.
08-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iGlad Quote
I sent my camera off to them on Tuesday and they've come back to mer with an estimate 3 days later. The quote is well below what I was expecting is so I will proceed with it.
Good, pleased to hear you received a speedy response. Although my query was only a relatively minor one, I had found the lack of response concerning in case I need their services in the future.

Colin
08-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #71
Pentaxian

I bought my K-70 in 2017 (manufactured 28.6.2017, shutter count now is 5,089) which I mainly used for attending live gigs.it's not had much use especially during covid. I decided to give it a whirl and guess what the aperture problem has occurred. The 2 year warranty ran out in 2019 and I'm sure there was no extended warranty offered at the time.

I am not proficient enough to take it apart and solder so I'm hoping John Pye will be able to repair it. I've sent them an email about 2 weeks ago via the Ricoh/Pentax website and I'm still waiting for a reply. The John Pye Technical repair website has no contact or email details which I find rather odd. John Pye repairing it seems to be my only option as I am not going to buy another new K-70 body and the step to a KP is well out of my price range.

I am tad disgusted with Pentax as this seems to be a recurring fault in K-70's and yet they have done nothing about it. I take it that Ricoh have never addressed the issue with some kind of recall.

Does anyone have an idea on the repair price?
Hi iGlad, my K-70 failed just under 5k, Sun Camera replaced the diaphram control block for under $250 Canadian. If you have any technical skills the procedure documented by Photogem is excellent, I uploaded it as a pdf to Mediafire if you choose! Link here

K70 Repair Tutorial Photogem

Image File sharing and storage made simple
08-29-2021, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #72

My camera has come back from John Pye after being repaired and everything is fine so I am very happy with the results as I used it yesterday at an anniversary party.

If you want a quick reply, email them directly and not via the form on the Ricoh website as they never seem to get it.

The customer service was excellent, quick replies and it took a week to repair once I gave the go ahead. Tim in their technical office is very efficient, informative and polite. The camera arrived the next day by courier after I had paid the repair bill, which was £114 inclusive of VAT.

Apparently it's got a 6 month warranty so I'll be putting it though it's paces over the next month or so.

I intend to use it more often now especially for upcoming events and parties.

Last edited by iGlad; 08-29-2021 at 04:51 PM.
08-29-2021, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very reasonable price!

Good luck.
08-31-2021, 06:09 AM   #74
Pentaxian

My camera has come back from John Pye after being repaired and everything is fine so I am very happy with the results as I used it yesterday at an anniversary party.

If you want a quick reply, email them directly and not via the form on the Ricoh website as they never seem to get it.

The customer service was excellent, quick replies and it took a week to repair once I gave the go ahead. Tim in their technical office is very efficient, informative and polite. The camera arrived the next day by courier after I had paid the repair bill, which was £114 inclusive of VAT.

Apparently it's got a 6 month warranty so I'll be putting it though it's paces over the next month or so.

I intend to use it more often now especially for upcoming events and parties.
Glad to hear, I'm sure you will get much satisfaction from the k-70 going forward!
11-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi all my trusted K-70 has started to show symptoms of aperture block although intermittent at the minute .Pretty much occurs everyday when I turn it on and use it for the first time. I find that if I use the continues shooting for the first shot then around the third or 5th image it starts to behave until I set it down for a little while then I need to go through the continuous burst again for it to start behaving again.

FYI I have copied the details of my camera and reckon the problem started around 200 shots ago.

As an aside it never happens with my 55-300 PLM

I seen some info earlier somewhere but can't seem to find it now and I know its a shot in the dark (as are my first photos of the day) but is there a cold reboot/reset function I could do to ensure it's definetly not a software issue before I send it off for repair. I bought the camera new 3 years ago almost to the day.

Camera PENTAX K-70
Shutter Count 11,478
Manufacture Date 2017:05:31
Lens smc PENTAX-FA 35mm F2 AL