Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K-70 and Aperture Block

I am expecting delivery today of a new K-70, my first Pentax digital SLR. I have been reading about the aperture block/stuck solenoid problem that occurs with this camera. Has Pentax fixed this problem with new releases of the K-70? If not, is it a matter of time when I can expect this problem to occur in the camera? Quite frankly, I would rather not keep the camera if this a likely future problem. Thanks for any advice or insights on this issue.

04-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure someone will be along to answer your question but here's some recommended light reading in the meantime:

Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

K70 aperture block? - PentaxForums.com

?#1 k-70 aperture block, which repair service? - PentaxForums.com

Solenoid in Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com
04-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DenB Quote
I am expecting delivery today of a new K-70, my first Pentax digital SLR. I have been reading about the aperture block/stuck solenoid problem that occurs with this camera. Has Pentax fixed this problem with new releases of the K-70? If not, is it a matter of time when I can expect this problem to occur in the camera? Quite frankly, I would rather not keep the camera if this a likely future problem. Thanks for any advice or insights on this issue.
I don't think that has been determined for sure. Pentax apparently "corrected" some of the flaws with the solenoid, but the version now being used is not as good as the really old, "made in Japan" version (however it is better than the previous "made in China" version). Issues with K-70s seem to be relatively rare, but they do occur.
04-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I knew full well about the aperture block problem and still purchased a K-70.
I would not call it a 'likely' future problem - however, there is no doubting that it could happen.
My contingency plan was to purchase an extended warranty and/or repair myself thereafter.
My K-S2 was supposedly susceptible to the aperture block problem and I got ~55,000 shutter actuations before she pooched (unrelated cause).

04-21-2021, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

My K-70 (bought to replace an ABF K-50 that I will soon attempt to repair) was made in February 2017, became mine (new) in June 2017, and is still going strong with over 30,000 clicks on the shutter.

I think the chances of ABF with a K-70 (especially a newer one) are quite small compared to the K-30 and K-50, and there's lots of helpful information on repair now. Still a chance of failure, but I would not consider it a likely future problem. The K-70 would be a great camera at even a couple hundred dollars more. Go out and enjoy it. If something goes wrong, this community will help you out, but I doubt you'll have an issue.
04-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought my K-70 new in June 2019 and so far it's been great.
04-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As other users have indicated, a new K-70 has a much lower probability of having aperture block failure but I don't believe it is zero. One of the factors that contributed to failure of the older models was lack of use. If the camera is used frequently, I think the chance of failure will be much lower.

04-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
One of the factors that wild speculation suggests contributed to failure of the older models was lack of use. If the camera is used frequently, I think the chance of failure will be much lower.
I slipped in a little clarification above.
04-21-2021, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have been reading about the aperture block/stuck solenoid problem that occurs with this camera.
I can understand your abundance of caution.

If I might make a small observation; aperture block failure has been reported on the K-70 in the same sense that sudden death has been reported for my camera, the K-3. There might be a few dozen cases for each of those issues reported on this site since the K-70's 2016 release and the K-3's release in 2013. What percentage of owners that actually encountered either is hard to say. What I can say is that my impression is that the number of K-70 owners overall that have had problems with their cameras seems to be very low. I think it is safe to say that owner satisfaction is high and that the K-70s reputation on this site is that of a sturdy camera that is likely the best in its class, overall.

Of course, you always have the right to send your camera back in favor of something different and nobody on this site will think badly of you if you do.

Steve
04-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I slipped in a little clarification above.
Understood but my personal experience suggests there may be some correlation. I had a K-30 that was working fine with a shutter count in the 20K+ range. It then sat unused for several months. Upon pulling it out again, I discovered it had the dreaded aperture block failure. I believe the speculated theory was that the solenoid plunger became magnetized over time, to the extent that the coils could not separate it from the permanent magnet that held it in the static position.

I have a K-70 that has been stuck unused in the UK for over a year now due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. It will be interesting to see if it has any issues when I eventually get back over there.
04-21-2021, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
Understood but my personal experience suggests there may be some correlation.
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data". My K-50 had been in heavy use shooting college baseball and then after just a short period of not being used, it developed ABF. (I confirmed it was ABF in Kyoto, but I suspect that I had it several weeks earlier (and much closer to when I finished shooting baseball) when I was in Tacoma trying to take some night shots and nothing would come out without much longer exposure times and ISOs than should have been required.) I was never able to resuscitate mine by using AA batteries or rapid-fire bursts, either.
04-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there are advantages to a KP or a secondhand K-3 over a new K-70 as a first Pentax, TBH, Den.

The beginner Pentaxes like the K-30, K-50 and K-70 use a solenoid in their aperture mechanism, the flagship models use a stepper motor. I've seen in this forum and the various Pentax Facebook groups stories of the quick fix (filing the aperture plunger) or even swapping out the whole aperture block failing again afterwards, but none I can recall from replacing the current green solenoid with a legacy white one.
04-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
I agree, all we have are unconnected reports, with each camera having seen a different environment. Ideally you would take a large number of solenoids and subject smaller batches to different test scenarios, to determine the main factors that contribute to failure. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon. In your case, it certainly sounds like the failure may have occurred without any significant period of nonuse.
04-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had the problem. I have not seen any convincing data to pinpoint when or why this happens. I had it repaired at Precision for 250 bucks and considering the cost of new units of the K-70's quality it was worthwhile. I would not buy another without extended warranty. All that said the K-70 is a wonderful camera and at the price, even better than that. Go out and shoot like there is no tomorrow. If a problem develops deal with it when it happens. Live long and prosper.
04-21-2021, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I have had the problem. I have not seen any convincing data to pinpoint when or why this happens. I had it repaired at Precision for 250 bucks and considering the cost of new units of the K-70's quality it was worthwhile.
I'd say they replaced the whole green solenoid aperture block with another green solenoid aperture block, Gump.

They haven't made your camera any safer, whatever percentage chance it had of failing the first time is the percentage chance of it failing again, IMHO.

This is surely kicking the can down the street, and you have to wonder if for $250 more or thereabouts a KP wasn't a better purchase. But the K-70 is still a very nice camera!