Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 06:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Mode Dial User Settings (U1, U2 & U3) - Frequently used settings...

Hello Everybody,

The Mode Dial has three factory pre-set settings - CLEAR TONE, HDR LANDSCAPE & ASTROPHOTO (U1, U2 & U3 - of the Dial Mode). You can save your favourite camera settings to U1 to U3 and replace the pre-set settings with them.

If you use the Mode Dial, and have 3 favourite camera setting:
  1. What are they?
  2. What camera settings have you set?
  3. ...and why?

Just a bit of fun. Would be know if people use this feature.

05-08-2021, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a KP so have five i have U1, U3 & U4 set to a nice, everyday setup, but each one has a different custom colour profile. They are all set to save as RAW+ meaning I have three film sims on my mode dial. The other two are street and vintage lens. If you are interested, the recipes for the colour profiles are here.

Creating a jpeg style - PentaxForums.com
05-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My K-70 has been reverted to "default" and is being used for mostly "Astro" these days, but my "Birding" configuration was developed on my K-70 and continues to be in use on my K-3iii.
For use with my Sigma 150-500mm, I set the camera to TAv mode, 1/1500 @ f/8. The shutter speed is to help freeze subject movement and the reduced aperture helps with a slightly greater depth of field. In reasonable light the auto-ISO was never an issue, given the superlative low-light capabilities of recent Pentax cameras.
When the K-70 was my "full-time birding" camera I had this set on all three User Modes, but with different a/f configurations on each. AFS/spot, AFC/spot and AFC/wide area.
Like this I could effectively switch between a/f options with the camera to my eye, a feature I missed on the KP and am glad to have back again on my K-3iii
Whichever arrangements you end up with, make sure to write them down somewhere, so if you want/need to revert to a default setting for any reason you can easily re-instate your preferences later. Remember, virtually every configurable setting is saved in a User Mode, so any changes you make from default will need to be noted.
Whilst in a User Mode, all adjustments are obviously available to you, so you can fiddle around to your hearts content, the on/off switch will act as an "instant reset", so you don't have to remember what changes you've made to your carefully crafted personal Mode, provided you don't over-write it.
Another "Mode" that I've yet to be fully satisfied with is a Monochrome configuration. Others have posted their preferences and I've tried a lot of them, but am yet to finalize it for myself.
Using the supplied "Digital Camera Utility" to review/edit your pictures can be a great help, as the program uses the same terminology as the camera, so if you find you prefer "+2 whatever" in the software, you can take this setting directly to the camera without trying to convert from one set of numbers to another.
Enjoy … it's a great camera
05-08-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

U1 set for flash indoors, U2 to Av with the front dial set for iso, raw, and all corrections, etc, off.....U3 set to sooc black and white jpeg. I never really come off these 3 modes

05-08-2021, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

My KP is fully personalized with it's 5 user modes.

U1 : General (P with bright color profile with fine sharpening auto program line)
U 2 : Landscape (P with landscape color profile and wide depth of field program line)
U 3 : Portrait (P with portrait colors and thin depth of field program line)
U 4 : Speed (P with action program line)
U 5 : Manual flash (M with base exposition settings for use with non TTL flash)
05-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
U1 to Birds in Flight on my K3 and K1.
05-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is something I really need to setup. I guess I'm too old school. I just adjust the settings each time. Same settings used again and again.

05-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I only actually have one set up, for wildlife shots.

TAv, with auto ISO from 100-800, and manually select 1600, generally I leave it on f/8, 1/500s as a starter and go from there depending on light and subject.
Continuous high, centre-weighted metering, and the rear button (my K-50 only has one, dual purposing AF and AE-lock) set to AE-L, as no AF on my main wildlife lens.

All my other shooting I really just do on Av mode, single shot, back button AF - centre spot only, multi-segment metering, manual ISO (mostly at 100, but changing depending on light). I guess I could save it as another user mode, but since I don't change from it really, I've never bothered.
05-09-2021, 02:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

I have set U1 to TAv for watersports/wildlife to ensure I have sufficient shutter speed and aperture immediately to hand and modified U3 to my own astro settings