Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #16

Original Poster
Received a replacement. This one experiences the exact same rattle/movement inside. In the video I didn't power the camera on but I did have it powered prior to the recording the video. The rattle is still there even when the SR is engaged. Kind of weird. I'm considering just returning this unit altogether. I'm somewhat worried about poor/low quality build.

05-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My K-70 does that too, a clanking/rattling/something noise, something moving when camera is tilted. My K-5 does too, so does K-200 and K-x. Sound is little different in every camera, almost silent in K-5.

Itīs the SR-device inside the camera, it moves freely when not powered.

Noise is quite audible in K-70, i was too little worried at first but SR and camera worked fine so i just ignore it and think thatīs just the sound of hi-tech
05-21-2021, 11:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is very normal and the first K-70 was 100% alright.
05-22-2021, 12:02 AM   #19
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post purchase dissonance is pretty common, give it a few days before you decide

05-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
My K-70 does that too, a clanking/rattling/something noise, something moving when camera is tilted. My K-5 does too, so does K-200 and K-x. Sound is little different in every camera, almost silent in K-5.

Itīs the SR-device inside the camera, it moves freely when not powered.

Noise is quite audible in K-70, i was too little worried at first but SR and camera worked fine so i just ignore it and think thatīs just the sound of hi-tech
Yeah I understand that, although the sound persists even when SR is engaged (shutter pressed half way). On both units.
05-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pankeface Quote
Yeah I understand that, although the sound persists even when SR is engaged (shutter pressed half way). On both units.
I may be mistaken, but in your second video, the sound goes away when your thumb is on the articulating rear LCD cover.

Steve
05-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes i understand its normal when it isn't engaged. Is it normal for it to make noise when its supposed to be engaged? This is the reason why i think its faulty
The shake reduction is only engaged when the shutter button is partially depressed (SR icon lit), or if I am not mistaken, when the shake reduction is off but the camera is powered up. In the latter case, it is not acting as shake reduction, it is just keeping the sensor still in the neutral position.

05-23-2021, 03:41 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

We duh, the shake reduction system does make some noise when it's active.
Are you sure you aren't looking for a problem that doesn't exist?
05-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
We duh, the shake reduction system does make some noise when it's active.
Are you sure you aren't looking for a problem that doesn't exist?

What do you mean "well duh"?... I wouldn't be trying to get opinions from others if the camera didn't make noise when the SR is engaged. The camera has a rattle when the SR is engaged and disengaged (ie: shutter pressed or not pressed at all). The camera shouldnt make noise if the SR is engaged because it should ENGAGE the SR system therefore putting the sensor into a position that doesn't let it move around hence not making any noise..... Sarcasm isn't necessary.
05-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you mean "well duh"?... I wouldn't be trying to get opinions from others if the camera didn't make noise when the SR is engaged. The camera has a rattle when the SR is engaged and disengaged (ie: shutter pressed or not pressed at all). The camera shouldnt make noise if the SR is engaged because it should ENGAGE the SR system therefore putting the sensor into a position that doesn't let it move around hence not making any noise..... Sarcasm isn't necessary.
You are aware that the shake reduction only locks the sensor in one position when it is turned off, right? Even then, it will make some noises as it works to keep the sensor in a static position.

Have you tried taking some pictures with your camera to see if things are working correctly or are you basing this thread purely on the supposition that noises emanating from the camera must indicate a malfunction of some sort?

The opinions you are getting is that your camera is functioning normally. Your refusal to accept those opinions as valid indicates that there is more going on with you than garnering opinions.
05-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The camera has a rattle when the SR is engaged and disengaged (ie: shutter pressed or not pressed at all). The camera shouldnt make noise if the SR is engaged because it should ENGAGE the SR system therefore putting the sensor into a position that doesn't let it move
Your camera has a rattle when you shake it that may or may not be coming from the SR system. However, that being the concern of the moment, lets talk about SR...

When the camera is on, the sensor is suspended by electromagnets, but like the suspension on your car, it will bottom out if the bumps are big. When SR is active, the sensor moves and may move considerably relative to the camera chassis. If displaced sufficiently, it will come up against its physical stops. That may very well be your rattle. I might suggest that shaking the camera is never a good idea.

If what I just typed is not compelling, I suggest walking into Best Buy, picking up a Sony A7iii (or even better, a pro model A1) and start shaking it to see if it rattles. If so, you will know that it is no better made than your K-70 that cost 1/2 to 1/10th as much. You may also get to talk to the store security person.

Of course, there is really no need to do any of that. If you are concerned about durability of your K-70, simply send it back and see if a similarly priced camera from Canon or Nikon will be suitable. Both brands put their SR in the lenses.

Steve

(...no sarcasm intended...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-23-2021 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Second thoughts