Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

AF.C in video mode

I have been playing with video and found that I am not able to select AF.C in video mode, it is disabled in the menu. This is with the kit 18-55mm lens. However if I put on the 55-300mm PLM zoom it does allow AF.C

The manual says that video af.c only works with certain lens but then does not appear to state what the criteria are.

I want to use a wider lens around of 18mm, does anyone know what the criteria is to make it work?

07-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Actually, with that wide a lens, focusing may not be a big issue. If you use a moderate f-stop (say f8), you should be able to set the lens just short of infinity (manual focus) and leave it there. Unless you're trying to focus up close, an 18mm lens at f8 will be pretty sharp from a few feet out to infinity. A problem you'd encounter with AF is that it will have a hard time working with an 18mm lens and may actually hunt, thus causing issues. Manual focusing overcomes that as long as you have a good depth of field which 18mm can deliver. Of course, if you want to use a longer focal length, then focusing can become a necessity. I'm not sure what the AF.C limitations are for motion photography with the K-70.

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-14-2021 at 01:42 PM.
07-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's a K-70.

The issue I have is that it's me I want to focus on so I cannot be in front and behind the camera at the same time. I tend to end up with soft focus all the time

07-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One way to accomplish that is to use a separate off-camera monitor which you can see. That would allow you to focus while being the subject. You'd need a monitor of size and sharpness to meet the task.

07-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Your experience suggests only kaf4 lenses work. Just a guess.
There are only a few at present. The new top of the line lenses are all kaf4. The announced da*16-50 will have it but way more $$$ than a kit lens.
07-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #6

The 55-300 plm is the only lens that works with AFC. It's possible they might update the firmware when the 16-50 comes out but who knows.
07-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
I have been playing with video and found that I am not able to select AF.C in video mode, it is disabled in the menu. This is with the kit 18-55mm lens. However if I put on the 55-300mm PLM zoom it does allow AF.C

The manual says that video af.c only works with certain lens but then does not appear to state what the criteria are.

I want to use a wider lens around of 18mm, does anyone know what the criteria is to make it work?
The brand new DA*16-50 will be the second PLM lens, Mlines!

07-14-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
It's a K-70.

The issue I have is that it's me I want to focus on so I cannot be in front and behind the camera at the same time. I tend to end up with soft focus all the time
You prefocus, Mlines. You don't want focus to change repeatedly during a scene, anyway, it's awkward, like seeing a camera bob up and down handheld. You see amateur Youtubers where the focus racks in and out until it's happy!

Put anything on the chair beforehand, or if it's a standing scene, a tripod or similar.

Have you ever seen how a TV show or movie is made? There is tape on the floor for where the actors have to end up in a scene to be in focus. Professional production is manual focus, manual aperture. Nothing's left to chance.