Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkR Quote
Ricoh UK have informed me, via the authorised repair agent, that they DO NOT provide a warranty on their products that are sold on ebay (even if the item is new and is sold by a recognised seller).
Does that sound right?
Mark
You should have given us this information earlier on!

Any seller on ebay is recognised, that has zero meaning.
A dealer must give warranty, but a private person not.
But if the seller has the original invoice, that should be enough.

But again, this information would have been vital.

08-05-2021, 04:27 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
You should have given us this information earlier on!

Any seller on ebay is recognised, that has zero meaning.
A dealer must give warranty, but a private person not.
But if the seller has the original invoice, that should be enough.

But again, this information would have been vital.
i HAVE ONLY JUST BEEN GIVEN THIS INFORMATION MYSELF!
08-06-2021, 12:06 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GREY imports

In Australia all official distributors have online eBay shops.
They use them to sell ex-demo , overstock , box-damaged , factory refurbished etc items.

They all come with AU manufacturer warranty , some items might not have as long as brand new products.
We also have , so called , grey imports , some are on eBay , some are not.
They usually provide their own warranty ( not transferable ) , the faulty item usually is replaced or send back to Asia for repair.
I personally never touch grey imports but I happily purchase ex-demo / package-damaged items.
08-06-2021, 12:08 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i HAVE ONLY JUST BEEN GIVEN THIS INFORMATION MYSELF!
Well, then communication between father and son was a bit WILLY-NILLY. Common and the many of younger generations have a different pace which sometimes can be a bit hasty. That's life.

Anyway, I would research now as follows:
- Try to get original invoice asap, because then there is warranty

if that can't be:
- Disassemble the camera: Manual: Solenoid replacement: Pentax K-S2 (and K-70) - PentaxForums.com
but one simple step further, i.e. take backside off as well
- Check connection of LCD to motherboard (can be the problem)
- Check cables which enter from shift-LCD to main body: This is a weak point, I have seen damage here on a K-S2.
That could be solved by your engineer.

08-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #20

Original Poster
Sorry, how do I download and run the pktrigger software?
I have just got the K70 from the repair chap. As I said, the LCD screen works when said to video (but the menu button does not when in that mode) and the LCD screen momentarily flickers when set in stills.
Thanks for your help.
Mark
08-14-2021, 11:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pkTriggerCord

Download your version for example win.zip
and unpack the zipped folder into a new folder named pkTrigger.
Connect the K70 with your computer, start the exe-command in the folder.
And then you need to work your way through.

But I think it is a cable problem. Taking just to bottom and you have access to the wires.

No big task. If a wire is hurt, you can try to repair it.
09-01-2021, 02:58 PM   #22

Original Poster
Hey @photogem,

I'm having a few challenges, I'll write down my process here and any help would be really appreciated:

1. The computer is running windows 10 and it does not recognize the K-70 (first challenge )
2. I downloaded and ran the .exe, the application loads but doesn't seem to recognize the camera

There's also a chance that I need to download the GTK2 or GTK+ to allow the software to run properly, but I don't trust the Sourceforge repository for the code that is available there. I'm not sure that GTK3 would work either....perhaps it is a loose cable issue.

12-30-2021, 03:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am afraid I didn't see your post, just by sheer accident today!

1. The computer is running windows 10 and it does not recognize the K-70 (first challenge )
That must be a problem of the USB cable. Windows 10 and others do recognize it with the correct cable.
There are USB cables which seem to have the correct USB connector but it is no data-cable but just for the USB voltage such as many chargers!

2. I downloaded and ran the .exe, the application loads but doesn't seem to recognize the camera
Same problem: Wrong or bad cable.

There's also a chance that I need to download the GTK2 or GTK+ to allow the software to run properly, but I don't trust the Sourceforge repository for the code that is available there. I'm not sure that GTK3 would work either....perhaps it is a loose cable issue.
As said before: Cable check!

here a link for the LCD Screen:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000406821296.html
It is the same one as in the K-70
12-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #24

pkTriggerCord is problematic. Reports of it not connecting via USB. First off on Windows the USB connection in the camera has to be set to MSC. Even so people report it not connecting. The Catch-22 is you need to use the screen on the camera in order to check and modify the settings. No screen, no luck. Even if pkTriggerCord would connect you can only really change the exposure and image output settings on the camera.

I don't know what your local laws are but since you bought it from the "grey market" (e.g. eBay) Ricoh UK may be justified in not giving warranty support. Your recourse will most likely be having to repair out of warranty.