Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #1

Tv issues?

Hi all.
A query about my K70. I set the dial to Tv and set the shutter speed to, say 400.When the image to be taken is bright, no problem. When the image is not so bright, instead of under exposing at set speed of 400, it drops it down to a slower shutter speed.

Am I missing something in the settings? ISO is set to 400 also.

Chalky

09-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chalky66 Quote
Hi all.
A query about my K70. I set the dial to Tv and set the shutter speed to, say 400.When the image to be taken is bright, no problem. When the image is not so bright, instead of under exposing at set speed of 400, it drops it down to a slower shutter speed.

Am I missing something in the settings? ISO is set to 400 also.

Chalky
What lens do you use? If you use a lens with manual aperture setting, then you cannot use Tv and if you choose this setting it automatically reverts to Av. The result is that your shutter speed setting wiil be adjusted, because there is no aperture to adjust automtically.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 09-05-2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: additonal information added
09-05-2021, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chalky66 Quote
When the image is not so bright, instead of under exposing at set speed of 400, it drops it down to a slower shutter speed.
At the point it drops the shutter speed...what is the aperture set to ? I imagine it is widest aperture. If you have auto -exposure adjustment set in the camera, then it will use a slower shutter speed.

If you want an underexposed image then turn it off.

Last edited by pschlute; 09-05-2021 at 12:58 PM.
09-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you have auto -exposure adjustment set in the camera, then it will use a slower shutter speed.
Yep...meaning menu > C1 > Auto EV Compensation

Steve

09-06-2021, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
What lens do you use? If you use a lens with manual aperture setting, then you cannot use Tv and if you choose this setting it automatically reverts to Av. The result is that your shutter speed setting wiil be adjusted, because there is no aperture to adjust automtically.
The lens is 55-300 ED PLM WR.( Nice lens,by the way.) Just turned off Auto ev and it does as it should. Thanks for the info.
Mal
09-06-2021, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
At the point it drops the shutter speed...what is the aperture set to ? I imagine it is widest aperture. If you have auto -exposure adjustment set in the camera, then it will use a slower shutter speed.

If you want an underexposed image then turn it off.
Many thanks . It worked.

Mal