Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2021, 02:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

One OVER and one UNDER exposed shot with the K-70

Just started to have an unusual experience with my K-70. When switching on (after the camera has been OFF for a few hours), the very first shot using the OVF is UNDER exposed. Again, with the camera OFF for a while and using LV, the very first shot is OVER exposed. Thereafter, using either OVF or LV all shots are perfectly exposed. I was using a fully charged battery. To ensure it’s not a lens problem, I’ve repeated the above using both the 18-50mm kit lens and the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, with the same result. I’ve also tried this test on a daily bases for the last couple of weeks and the reoccurrence is as regular as clockwork!

The camera is 3 years old with around 30,000 shots, mostly HDR as I use the camera for real estate photography. I’ve not had any problems up to now but this started just recently. Of course I’ve read much on the subject of K-70/K-50 etc. shutter failures but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post detailing the above abnormality of 1 under and 1 over, and thereafter everything OK.

Any thoughts?

TIA! Robert

09-20-2021, 02:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
mostly HDR
It sounds like the camera is still in HDR mode when you switch it back on.
09-20-2021, 02:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
It sounds like the camera is still in HDR mode when you switch it back on.
No. It was in AV priority. EV compensation was zero.
09-20-2021, 03:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

No. It was in AV priority. EV compensation was zero.
Pentax cameras can be in AV priority, with EV compensation = 0 , and HDR enabled. HDR mode comes on top of drive exposure modes such as Sv,Tv, Av, TAv, P, M etc. Exposure compensation and HDR are two independant things, you can shoot HDR images with any exposure compensation setting.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-20-2021 at 03:23 AM.
09-20-2021, 03:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax cameras can be in AV priority, with EV compensation = 0 , and HDR enabled. HDR mode comes on top of drive modes such as Sv,Tv, Av, TAv, P, M etc. Exposure compensation and HDR are two independant things, you can shoot HDR images with any exposure compensation setting.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but no, it was set to single drive mode. I've just switched the camera on again right now, taken the first shot with the OVF, and again the first shot is under exposed, the second and subsequent shots are perfect.
09-20-2021, 03:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, I'm aware of that, but no, it was set to single drive mode. I've just switched the camera on again right now, taken the first shot with the OVF, and again the first shot is under exposed, the second and subsequent shots are perfect.
maybe you have the infamous solenoid problem. Try do an DoF simulation to activate the aperture level a few times before taking the first shot, see if the first shot is still underexposed or not.
09-20-2021, 03:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
maybe you have the infamous solenoid problem. Try do an DoF simulation to activate the aperture level a few times before taking the first shot, see if the first shot is still underexposed or not.
I'll leave the camera off a little while more and then try that. I'll get back...

Right, I've just tried the DoF simulation using LV and the first shot is OVER exposed as per my original post above. Thereafter, every shot is exposed correctly. So if nothing else, the fault is very consistent! Does this mean that I have a solenoid problem, or not?

Last edited by RobSpain; 09-20-2021 at 04:40 AM.
09-20-2021, 04:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have tried that and replied above...
09-20-2021, 06:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you using USER modes ?
09-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It could be the harbinger of the dreaded aperture block failure...

Tutorial: Detection of aperture block failure on Pentax DLSRs with solenoid - PentaxForums.com

K70 aperture block? - PentaxForums.com
09-20-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Does this mean that I have a solenoid problem, or not?
I can't tell. If you still get the first exposure underexposed after having "exercised" the aperture mechanism via DoF preview, and you also "exercised" the shutter by going in Live View On and Off. Try very fast shutter speed (1/4000) at high ISO and slow shutter speed (1 second) at base ISO (100). If you still don't find anything, it looks more like another problem, perhaps a firmware problem or a metering problem. Make sure to set the camera exposure to manual mode, so that ISO, shutter speed and aperture settings are fixed. What the exif says for the first shot, second shot etc... are exposure settings the same? Other possibilities firmware went amok, then do a full camera reset first by removing the battery and back in again, or even by restoring all settings to factory settings.
09-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dumb question but have you checked to see if any bracketing modes are engaged? I would think the camera would try to take two sequential pictures (one over and one under) but something to consider???? Ditto on what biz-engineer said in previous post about resetting & reloading firmware.
09-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Are you using USER modes ?
i indeed do use and have set up 2 of the user mode dials for different HDR scenarios, but neither of these were in play with regard to the reported problem above.

---------- Post added 09-20-21 at 05:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Dumb question but have you checked to see if any bracketing modes are engaged? I would think the camera would try to take two sequential pictures (one over and one under) but something to consider???? Ditto on what biz-engineer said in previous post about resetting & reloading firmware.
No, they are definitely not. Yes, I'm gonna try some other settings are per the biz-engineer.
09-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you need a new camera in that case.
09-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you reset it ?