Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Curious behaviour in viewfinder mode...

Hi everyone,

I am a newcomer to both Pentax products and this forums Web site, I hope we will get along fine and I like my brand new K-70 but there is a point for which I can't find information anywhere - I asked to Rocoh support people with no success ( it seems the person who answered didn't even understand my question ), nothing in the manual about it and training videos do not cover it either... O.K. precise description of that curious ( to me ) behaviour now, when I shoot pictures in viewfinder mode, I of course get the instant review right after I fully pressed the shutter button, then the status screen reappears, but only for about 3 seconds and then display turns off ( until I start taking another picture or I press Info button. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance for your help, Hype.

02-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you looked through the menu, there is probably a setting that tells the screen how long to appear for.

You do not want it on all the time as it will simply drain the battery.
02-09-2022, 01:44 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
There is a setting for the display time of the instant review ( 1 to 10 seconds and Hold ) but I found no one for the status screen display time. I will add another detail here, this occurs only after shooting a picture ( viewfinder mode ), not when you just turned on the camera.
02-09-2022, 01:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Webstormer Quote
Hi everyone,

I am a newcomer to both Pentax products and this forums Web site, I hope we will get along fine and I like my brand new K-70 but there is a point for which I can't find information anywhere - I asked to Rocoh support people with no success ( it seems the person who answered didn't even understand my question ), nothing in the manual about it and training videos do not cover it either... O.K. precise description of that curious ( to me ) behaviour now, when I shoot pictures in viewfinder mode, I of course get the instant review right after I fully pressed the shutter button, then the status screen reappears, but only for about 3 seconds and then display turns off ( until I start taking another picture or I press Info button. Is it normal?

A half press of the shutter button should also awaken the screen.

02-09-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, as I said « until I start taking another picture ». Now, the thing is, I just want to know if this beahaviour is normal, I have absolutely no prblem with it since it saves my battery but as a newcomer with DSLRs, this is something I am not used to and I want to be sure everything works fine.
02-09-2022, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a KP, not K-70. For me if I push Info button twice in the row after the second time it shows horizontal menu, where I can choose what to do with screen:
Status, or Electronic Lever, or Off , or GPS if OGPS attached). If status is selected it will stays up during Auto Power Off time which could not be less then 1 minute.
02-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
On my K-70 it will stay on for one full minute when I just turned on camera but it will go off after 3 seconds once I started taking pictures ( but I get the instant review each time ). Bizarre.

02-09-2022, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Hi everyone,
Yes … it's normal

I never use Instant Review (menu "Camera" 5 | Instant Review set to off) and I've usually got the status screen disabled (press Info twice and choose the right-hand option), so I don't usually see it, but with the camera set to show the Status Screen and Instant Review set to 1sec the Status Screen appears briefly after the review disappears
As with many features on Pentax cameras, the documentation isn't exhaustive
FWIW, I usually use the viewfinder display to set my metering options whilst I'm viewing the subject and I have reasonably enough confidence in my own and my camera's capabilities to believe the exposure will be good. I use the playback button to review if I feel the need
That's not to say you're doing anything wrong, just explaining why I'd not experienced your symptoms
The K-70 is a great camera - enjoy
02-09-2022, 04:02 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah! to me you're doin it the right way and now, I do not consider this behaviour ( unless someone proves me wrong ) as a symptom and I too prefer the viewfinder mode. Those things said, just to be sure I made a reset but my camera works exactly the same and I now really think this its normal behaviour. I am just lokking for another K-70 user to confirm it by his/her own experience.
02-09-2022, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah! to me you're doin it the right way and now, I do not consider this behaviour ( unless someone proves me wrong ) as a symptom and I too prefer the viewfinder mode. Those things said, just to be sure I made a reset but my camera works exactly the same and I now really think this its normal behaviour. I am just lokking for another K-70 user to confirm it by his/her own experience.
That's cryptic. KP works the same. Status screen stays after instant review 3 sec, but disappear soon after instant review 1 sec. Obviously not intuitive (but useful).
02-09-2022, 04:46 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh! how cool! happy to get the confirmation and yes, it is quite useful since it is a good battery saver fubction. Thanks a lot, my friend! :-)
02-09-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't seen anything in the manuals but I haven't perused the K-70 manual at all but I have fully perused my k-50, K-3 Mk I and K-3 Mk III and find nothing. Have you tried to do a system reset to correct the "problem"? Otherwise, why not set up the Status Screen Instant Review display time to hold. Then you can either dismiss the status screen by taping the shutter button or zoom in to inspect the image then dismiss the screen with a button touch.
02-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I haven't seen anything in the manuals but I haven't perused the K-70 manual at all but I have fully perused my k-50, K-3 Mk I and K-3 Mk III and find nothing. Have you tried to do a system reset to correct the "problem"? Otherwise, why not set up the Status Screen Instant Review display time to hold. Then you can either dismiss the status screen by taping the shutter button or zoom in to inspect the image then dismiss the screen with a button touch.
That looks like not a problem, but rather undocumented feature, because it is reported at least for two models K-70 and KP. When instant review set to 1 sec, status screen stays after shutter release for~ 3 sec. For any bigger instant review time status screen will stay till power is off. How it works for K-3 MKiii?
02-09-2022, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it's worth, my K1, K70, K30, K5 and K-X all behave the same as the OP described. It appears to be normal Pentax behavior.
02-09-2022, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
That is the finl confimation I was waiting for, thread can now be considered as closed and thanks so much to you, grog85361! Exactly as me and other members here have thought, the topic is simply not covered by the manual. Thanks to you all, guys! :-)