Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2022, 03:42 AM   #1

Weird focus behaviour with K70. Will not lock

Hey gang!

I got given a k70 for free when I purchased a lens off a fella near me.he said it was not working so he didn't want it. I assumed aperture block and thought I'd give it a try.

Turns out it's another odd issue with the autofocus. In live view it doesn't seem to af at all. Through the ovf it zips through quickly, and then racks veryyyyyyy slowly. But never locks on.

Thought it could be the af module being dirty, so I used a blower and it made no difference.

Genuine Pentax battery, firmware 1.13, and is the same with multiple lenses.

Pentax k70 strange focus behaviour - YouTube

Any thoughts?

06-11-2022, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The lack of AF in live view suggests that the firmware or settings are seriously mangled. I'd try: 1) a factory reset; 2) updating the firmware (if the camera won't run the firmware update becuase it thinks that it already has v1.13, then see if you can downgrade to an earlier version and then re-upgrade).

It's also possible that something is corrupted in the internal flash memory chips or the RAM of the camera but I would expect that to cause a lock-up rather than a silent failure.

Good luck!

(Worse comes to worse, you can always use the camera with manual focus lenses.)
06-11-2022, 07:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

When the lens is focussed manually, does the "little green hexagon" focus confirmation indicator in the viewfinder work?
06-11-2022, 10:10 AM   #4

Do you have another lens to test it with? In particular a non-screw drive lens or screw drive if the lens is non-screwdrive AF.

What lens are we talking about here?

Since you were buying the lens presumably you have another body. How does the lens work on another body?

06-11-2022, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Do you have another lens to test it with? In particular a non-screw drive lens or screw drive if the lens is non-screwdrive AF.

What lens are we talking about here?

Since you were buying the lens presumably you have another body. How does the lens work on another body?
Thank you for the comments, the lens works fine on my K-1, unfortunately all i have is FA screw drive lenses!

kypfer - yes the little focus confirmation worked in manual focus

photooptimist - a factory reset is what i first tried (just through settings option) HOWEVER , thank you for the suggestion to downgrade, and then re-update the firmware. I didn't know you could downgrade, that's fantastic. this has indeed fixed the focus issue! now it's snappy and locks on as it should. and autofocus now works in live view!

unfortunately..... i must have spoken too soon (and not done sufficient testing) to check for the aperture block issue, because this is also present. cycling a few times in and out of live view seems to do the trick for now, but i think i will need to test my skills and do a repair. time to start searching the forums for info on the best solenoid to buy!

thank you again everyone for your quick suggestions! This mystery is officially solved.
06-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelvandal Quote
Unfortunately..... i must have spoken too soon (and not done sufficient testing) to check for the aperture block issue, because this is also present. cycling a few times in and out of live view seems to do the trick for now, but i think i will need to test my skills and do a repair. time to start searching the forums for info on the best solenoid to buy!
As you got this K70 as a gift, more than worth spending money on the Japan DSLR solenoid.
Either a broken *istD/S/L, K100/200/110 (all of those have 2 solenoids, you can swap the flash solenoid with your K70 Chinasolenoid, it will work there perfectly. Also Km, Kx and Kr but there usually a green one already in the flash section.
K10D and K20D have only 1 Japansolenoid for aperture control but often even if defunct they sell for too much money.
Same for the Samsung versions GX1/GX10/GX20

Otherwise the seller potmano on ebay USA.