Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2022, 07:56 AM   #1

k70 freezing up and not working

Hello, I have a Pentax K70 purchased in october 2019, and for the past few months it will randomly freeze up when I'm trying to take a photo.
I'll press the shutter to focus and nothing will happen. The camera seems dead. The screen on the back doesn't respond as well. To solve the problem I need to extract the battery and then turn on the camera and it goes fine. I've lost some shots due to this. Anyone had the same problem ? Can't figure out what the problem could be.

07-05-2022, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Try doing a factory reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
07-05-2022, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe dirty Lens contacts?
07-05-2022, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

One more thing I forgot. Could be a corrupted SD card issue as well.

07-05-2022, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others state here, attack the issue by cleaning lens and camera mount contacts. If you have access to another Pentax DA, FA, F or even A lens, try the other lens as well. Be sure to upload the photos of your SD card before formatting the SD card with the camera. Then, try that card again. If you still suspect the card, just replace it, I hope that all this helps you, framan.
07-05-2022, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't remember symptoms like that with my K-70, but my K-3iii certainly suffered similar issues from new, which appear to have been resolved to a greater extent by subsequent firmware updates.
So, a firmware update, if you're not totally up to date, may be worth while.
After that, as previously suggested, clean all contacts, try a different card, then, finally, a total reset, would be my choice of options.
Good luck
07-05-2022, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So to summarize the great suggestions:

1. Clean lens contacts
2. Clean camera contacts
3. Verify lens is good by changing lenses with known good lens
4. Reformat and verify SD card is good
5. Reset camera to defaults
6. Update to latest firmware if needed.

07-05-2022, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Insufficient voltage from the battery can also cause strange behaviour on some cameras.
07-05-2022, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by framan Quote
Hello, I have a Pentax K70 purchased in october 2019, and for the past few months it will randomly freeze up when I'm trying to take a photo.
I'll press the shutter to focus and nothing will happen. The camera seems dead. The screen on the back doesn't respond as well. To solve the problem I need to extract the battery and then turn on the camera and it goes fine. I've lost some shots due to this. Anyone had the same problem ? Can't figure out what the problem could be.
If all the suggested hints won't work,
you might have the 4 years FOWA warranty which normally comes with the K70 in Italy.
07-06-2022, 01:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to each of you it seems I'll have to check and clean all my lenses and camera contacts including sd card's and batteries. I did reset the camera and got the latest firmware .
07-06-2022, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Insufficient voltage from the battery can also cause strange behaviour on some cameras.
Which might occur more frequently with an older, and therefor bit degraded battery, running almost low like <20%, hence weaker ; and in my experience (on K3) on heavy SDM (or sigma hsm) lenses drawing electrical power while focussing...
and add maybe also a non-pentax brand battery not fulfilling 100% the specifications.

In other words: if all the odds are against you(r battery), and electrical current peak demand is too high... voltage drops low and micro processor can be stopped.

Might also draw extra current: flash, in camera postprocessing like digital filter, high fps, bracketing, mirror lock, etc...

PS: never had issue with in camera focus motor, but already few times with my pentax 150-450mm lens on my older batteries.

If your battery is also from 2019... depending on your usage...charging cycles...

If you have multiple batteries, might need tracking which one.is suspect.
07-07-2022, 01:02 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Which might occur more frequently with an older, and therefor bit degraded battery, running almost low like <20%, hence weaker ; and in my experience (on K3) on heavy SDM (or sigma hsm) lenses drawing electrical power while focussing...
and add maybe also a non-pentax brand battery not fulfilling 100% the specifications.

In other words: if all the odds are against you(r battery), and electrical current peak demand is too high... voltage drops low and micro processor can be stopped.

Might also draw extra current: flash, in camera postprocessing like digital filter, high fps, bracketing, mirror lock, etc...

PS: never had issue with in camera focus motor, but already few times with my pentax 150-450mm lens on my older batteries.

If your battery is also from 2019... depending on your usage...charging cycles...

If you have multiple batteries, might need tracking which one.is suspect.
Good points. Most likely it's a voltage drop. When it happens seems like the camera is turned offI while pushing the button