Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2022, 04:36 PM - 13 Likes   #1

My first Pentax, and I love it!

Hi!
I’m new to Pentax and this forum. I have been shooting Ricoh GR since the film days, but never a Pentax.
I have started a project where I document the place where my father lived as a child. My father passed away last year and that’s what started the project. I have been shooting with my GRII and GRIIIx, but sometimes I need more range. So I bought a Pentax K-70 last week and some lenses, newer and older. I really love the quality. The files works really good with my GR files. I’m hooked, Already looking at the K1 mkII.

Here are some photos from the past week.

---------- Post added 07-30-22 at 04:40 PM ----------

I noticed that the image quality when uploading isn’t that good. Am I doing something wrong?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
07-30-2022, 04:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great photos and glad you're enjoying your new camera. I have the K-1 mark 1 and know you'll appreciate the Mark 2 if you decide to pull the pin on it.

That's and interesting looking tower - is it the same as in your first photo (looks different) - any information on what it is?

Good shooting.
07-30-2022, 04:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Great photos and glad you're enjoying your new camera. I have the K-1 mark 1 and know you'll appreciate the Mark 2 if you decide to pull the pin on it.

That's and interesting looking tower - is it the same as in your first photo (looks different) - any information on what it is?

Good shooting.
Thank you!
It’s the KP or the K-1. Seems like lovely cameras.

It’s not the same tower. That small mountain/hill is the place I’m documenting. The first is for tele communication. The second one is from a factory.
07-30-2022, 07:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Up loading to this forum is crap compared to FB. With physical size limitation, it is not a good look. With an FB upload of 2000 pixels longest side and file size of around 850kb, it can look very good.

07-30-2022, 08:08 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Landberg Quote
I have started a project where I document the place where my father lived as a child. My father passed away last year and that’s what started the project.
Great project.
I bought a Pentax K-70 last week and some lenses, newer and older. I really love the quality.
Good to hear a happy camper.

I see you have a DA 18-135 and DA 35mm f2.4 as well as some manual-aperture lenses. You get a lot for your money with a kit like that.
I noticed that the image quality when uploading isn’t that good. Am I doing something wrong?
No, I found the same thing. Many of us here prefer to upload to Flickr (you can upload 1000 images with a free account) and post from there.
Already looking at the K1 mkII.
It’s the KP or the K-1. Seems like lovely cameras.
Before going down this path, I'd suggest you have a look at some of the threads about the pros and cons of APS-C and full frame. There are good arguments either way. It depends on your priorities and preferences.

I have a KP and a K-S2 (precursor to the K-70). The KP is a much nicer camera, but I doubt that you will see much difference in image quality between the KP and the K-70. The advantages are more in features (better AF, better metering, more robust construction, third control wheel, electronic shutter option, etc etc).
07-31-2022, 02:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

So I bought a Pentax K-70 last week and some lenses, newer and older. I really love the quality. The files works really good with my GR files. I’m hooked, Already looking at the K1 mkII.
Welcome to Pentax! I'm a GR/K-1 shooter and really like the combination. They are different enough to complement without really competing. I get different photos with the two cameras. The GR really promotes, in my hands, intimate loose and "subjective" photographs. The K-1 has incredible files and can deliver a sort of all encompassing detailed but smooth feeling. The K-1 is for me also more comfortable when taking time to compose and select a frame.

I've not used the K-70 but compared to my apsc Pentax (K-3 II) the slightly larger body and larger viewfinder of the K-1 gives a different feel in use which I like but it also gives a different feel when carrying it around... weight... which I don't like when I'm not out specifically to photograph. Again why the GR/K-1 combo is so great. GR all the time, K-1 for projects.

If you haven't used one of the "flagship" Pentax bodies (K-5, K-3, K-1) you should really try to get your hands on one. If the feel of the camera matters to you they are quite the thing. Pentax is hard to get your hands on though. If you're ever in Stockholm I have gear you could try out.

By the way that plastic fantastic DA35 f2.4 AL is quite something for the price if you can accept the focusing sound. The Pentax apsc lens that perhaps has impressed me the most beside the DA70 limited. The DA35AL has the same formula (plus some baffles) as the HD Pentax 35mm f2 which I also like very much. The DA also works very well on full frame even if the FA35 has slightly better corners.

Last edited by house; 07-31-2022 at 03:07 AM.
07-31-2022, 02:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums from Germany and welcome to Pentax! You've uploaded some nice images and I hope to see more.

07-31-2022, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Hi, I really like the photos. Thanks for sharing them. I too went with a K70 to complement my GR2. Just recently got hold a used K1 - the best thing is it gives all of my film era lenses two 'focal lengths' dependìng on the full frame or APSC sensor. In a way it expands your lens collection without spending a penny on new lenses.
07-31-2022, 05:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all!

QuoteOriginally posted by Buntzbooze Quote
Hi, I really like the photos. Thanks for sharing them. I too went with a K70 to complement my GR2. Just recently got hold a used K1 - the best thing is it gives all of my film era lenses two 'focal lengths' dependìng on the full frame or APSC sensor. In a way it expands your lens collection without spending a penny on new lenses.
That’s a good point. I’ll think I will do the same.
07-31-2022, 08:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums!
07-31-2022, 09:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your photos are very good, I quite enjoyed them. I slipped into the Pentax back door via the Ricoh GR just like you: started with a KP and while I liked it a lot, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Went about a year without a Pentax again, and I ended up jumping in and getting a K-1 mark II. I love everything about that camera. I wanted to explore film era lenses without the crop factor, and I have to say, it's been just what I was hoping for, and I've never used a more ergonomic camera than the K-1. It's also very intuitive to use. The files are incredible.
07-31-2022, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #12

Awesome! Pentax is a wonderful system and a wonderful community. So glad you found your way here. Pentax cameras have that special something that spec sheets and advertisements can't convey: only using one can.

Your photos are superb, please keep sharing them!
07-31-2022, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all your kind words!

Here they are in better quality, testing flickr links.

07-31-2022, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I have started a project where I document the place where my father lived as a child.
Documenting a place is an great project. I've ended up self-publishing a couple of books as a result of documenting some of the geographical features where I live, and it was both satisfying, and even slightly profitable, or at least helped cover the cost of my photography habit.

So I bought a Pentax K-70 last week and some lenses, newer and older. I really love the quality
The K-70 is a great camera. There might only be a very small lineup of curent Pentax models, but any of them can produce great results. I 'only' have the K-70 myself as it was a lot more affordable than a K-3III or K-1 II or 645z, but I'm still extremely happy with the results it produces.
There are a few scenarios where a larger sensor would be helpful, but for now I'm happy with my K-70.
08-01-2022, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi!
I’m new to Pentax and this forum.
I have started a project where I document the place where my father lived as a child. My father passed away last year and that’s what started the project.
Already looking at the K1 mkII.
Welcome to an amazing forum and a special brand.

Your idea to document the footsteps of your father's past is a great idea. Definitely something you could culminate in a photo book with text.

Although the K1ii is a great full frame camera for low light photography and wide angle landscapes or shallow depth of field shots, the images you shared shows a lot of telephoto and great depth of field which is well served with your APS-C sensor. Maybe consider the K3iii with total compatibility with your current lenses?
Pentax K-3 III vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison.