Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2022, 12:20 PM   #1

Live view and correct exposure?

Hi!
Iím using my K-70 to scan my old negatives. With the built in negative effect itís really easy to see what I get. BUT, i have one problem. In live view the camera seems to auto expose the picture, even in manual. I cant see my exposure if i donít take a picture and review that. The problem with that is when I zoom in to focus manually it sometimes over expose the image because of a bright sky (that is black) on a negative or something like that. It can be really hard to find a place to pull my focus. Is there a way to tell the camera to show the correct exposure? Iím using my old pentax 100 f/4 macro.
I hope you understand my ptoblem, my english is not the best.

08-08-2022, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The old 100 f/4 doesn't have electrical contacts, correct? I think that might be the problem?
I really don't know.
Cool suggestion using the negative effect to scan your negatives - will have to try that!
08-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you sure it's changing the actual exposure by verifying the captured file? It could just be boosting the scene brightness for your focusing and composing pleasure.
08-08-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
It could just be boosting the scene brightness for your focusing and composing pleasure.
That's almost surely what it is doing. Your actual exposures will be set by the manual values.

QuoteOriginally posted by Landberg Quote
cant see my exposure if i don’t take a picture and review that.
Unless your negatives have a lot of variation in their actual exposure/density, once you find a good set of aperture and shutter speed, you should be all set for all the frames in a strip / on a roll.

08-08-2022, 09:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
Are you sure it's changing the actual exposure by verifying the captured file? It could just be boosting the scene brightness for your focusing and composing pleasure.
Thatís what I mean,
Thatís my problem. I donít want the camera to boost the scene. I want it to show the correct exposure.
08-08-2022, 10:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I recall you only get exposure preview with a lens that you can control aperture from the body with. One of the ways to trick it was to set the lens off the a setting if you needed to focus or compose. I donít think a manual aperture lens without an ďAĒ position can be set to ignore the exposure preview on that camera. But I could be mistaken.
08-09-2022, 12:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

In live view the camera seems to auto expose the picture, even in manual.
I guess that is not "auto-exposure" but a feature of Live view. If it does not iluminate or brighten the screen, you cannot see the image to focus on. You only see the exposure value(s) if you push the exposure button halfway. And with the old 100 F4 as FozzFoster indicates you will only see the shutter speed. And perhaps you could use digital DOF-control to review the settings instead of taking the picture? You will never see the setting of the aperture as long as you use a non "A" lens. Not in a preview as you wish, not after taking the picture as you describe.

08-09-2022, 01:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

With my K-70 in LiveView and Manual mode, with a manual-everything auto-aperture lens fitted, the "magic green button" still works as normal to give me a correct exposure
Do remember, this only works in Manual mode, not Av or anything else, also that Catch-in-Focus doesn't work in LiveView so you'll be relying on focus-peaking or magnification.
Good luck
08-09-2022, 07:03 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
With my K-70 in LiveView and Manual mode, with a manual-everything auto-aperture lens fitted, the "magic green button" still works as normal to give me a correct exposure
Auto aperture is an overloaded term. I assume you mean a lens with the open aperture metering that isnít set to ďaĒ and has the aperture ring set to the aperture desired?
08-09-2022, 10:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Auto aperture is an overloaded term. I assume you mean a lens with the open aperture metering that isnít set to ďaĒ and has the aperture ring set to the aperture desired?
"Overloaded" ??
An auto-aperture lens, in my book, is a lens that can have it's aperture automatically closed down by the camera Ö as opposed to a pre-set or totally manual aperture.
Maybe I should have defined it as a K-mount auto-aperture lens ... eg. an "M"-class lens, with no "A" setting on the aperture ring
08-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
"Overloaded" ??
An auto-aperture lens, in my book, is a lens that can have it's aperture automatically closed down by the camera Ö as opposed to a pre-set or totally manual aperture.
Maybe I should have defined it as a K-mount auto-aperture lens ... eg. an "M"-class lens, with no "A" setting on the aperture ring
Auto aperture can mean ďa seriesĒ type functions controlled by the body - open aperture metering was my best way to verify thatís what was meant. Thereís nothing wrong with what you said; I just wanted to be certain - as it was confusing to me at first read.
08-09-2022, 02:24 PM   #12

Original Poster
Iím super sorry for using the words auto exposure.

What I want is the camera to preview an image that represents my chosen settings. If I shoot all manual I want to see how image with my settings will look. Not just read the numbers and guess. I understand that the camera is boosting my preview to be able to focus easier but is there a way to turn of the boost preview? A lot of other cameras are able to do this.

I understand that the 100mm f4 can be controlled by the camera.

But will I be able to get the correct preview with newt lenses?
08-09-2022, 10:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Iím super sorry for using the words auto exposure.
What I want is the camera to preview an image that represents my chosen settings. If I shoot all manual I want to see how image with my settings will look. Not just read the numbers and guess. I understand that the camera is boosting my preview to be able to focus easier but is there a way to turn of the boost preview? A lot of other cameras are able to do this.
But will I be able to get the correct preview with newt lenses?
Have you tried using the histogram during preview to confirm your exposure?
08-16-2022, 12:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have been asked this question before but maybe didn't notice it:
There are a few SMC Pentax 100mm/f4 macro lenses!

Only the

SMC Pentax A 100mm F4 Macro has an A-ring, i.e. the A-position on the aperture ring!

The SMC Pentax K100/4 Macro and the M100/4 Macro don't and thus need green-button-metering with a preset aperture.

All those can be controlled by the camera, but in a very different way.
For being able to use the green button for metering, you have to change the settings in the menu so your K70 recognizes manual lenses and and different aperture settings other than A!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-m...-k-30-etc.html

Check just to make sure:

In the menu go to C (Camera-Settings)
and there to C4, I think it is position 28 with the K70 (it is so with the K-S2):

"Anvšndning av blšndarring"

arrow right > Position 2: Aktivera

then press the OK-button!

Last edited by photogem; 08-16-2022 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added information for aperture-setting