Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #1

Japan Amazon offering K70 kit? for a newbie

Trying to buy a first digital slr. My previous slr was a SP7 film camera. It seems like Japan will be opening up soon. I put my (upcoming tentative visit )hotel's postal code as 160-8330(Japanese postal code). This gives me a domestically available only camera kit sold by Amazon JP directly ,(not a third party seller )for 74565 Yens=about USD 532. Which seems very cheap for a new camera+18-50 zoom lens+50-200mm zoom lens. Does this seem too cheap to be true? Can someone who buys from Amazon JP verify this is indeed true?
Thanks

PENTAX K-70 Double Zoom Lens Kit (DAL18-50mm+50-200mm) Black APS-C DSLR Camera 16296 Amazon | PENTAX K-70 ????????????(DAL18-50mm+50-200mm) ???? APS-C??????????? 16296 | ???????? ??

09-14-2022, 01:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Says it's "Out of stock" when I look at the advert.
09-14-2022, 02:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Says it's "Out of stock" when I look at the advert.
you must enter the supplied Japanese postal code( my tentative hotel's) as the item is not sold to overseas /international customers, <20 available for domestic Japan delivery only
09-14-2022, 02:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
on the left upper corner change the location to 160-8330 (Shinjuku, Tokyo)

09-14-2022, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aha! OK, it shows up for me now.
From what I can see, it looks like it's fulfilled by amazon, so that should be a safe place to buy from.
Your thoughts?
09-14-2022, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF.

I can't comment on the particular deal but I would make a few observations:
1. Let's assume the deal includes a Ricoh-Pentax warranty. It is unlikely to cover service outside Japan. You would still have to send it back to Ricoh Japan for service/repair/replacement if you have a problem. That could more than eat up any savings on the purchase price. I bought one camera that didn't have a local (Australian) warranty. Fortunately I didn't have a problem with it, but I would never do it again.
2. The two kit lenses are OK, but won't give you full value from using a DSLR. The K-70 is often sold packaged with a Pentax DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6. That is a much better starter kit. It is also more convenient for travel as it involves fewer lens changes. The K-70 is also sometimes bundled with a Pentax DA 35mm f2.4 or DA 50mm f1.8, whose excellent image quality belies their low cost and plastic construction. If you want a telephoto lens as well, I would suggest a Pentax DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM (not the DA 50-200). This is a really good lens. It is also sometimes bundled with the K-70. You can read user reviews and PF staff reviews of all these lenses by following the links here: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database Buying a new lens in a bundle with the camera is usually a lot cheaper.
3. Although you are familiar with a film SLR, there is a bit of a learning curve with a DSLR. If your trip to Japan is a vacation, I'd suggest buying the camera and getting familiar with it before you go. Trying to learn to use the camera after you arrive in Japan is not a recipe for a happy holiday or satisfying photography.
4. Whether you buy before you go or not, start reading up now.
- There is a lot of helpful information in the PF review of the K-70: Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
- The manual and starter guide can be downloaded from Ricoh: Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
- I'd strongly suggest getting the excellent ebook written by the late lamented PF member Yvon Bourque: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?ebooks=1&loginrequired=1#sub42
- There is a wealth of other useful information on the PF site.
5. For second-hand K-mount lenses, Japan is regarded as a treasure-trove. Dealers generally have a good reputation. Other members can suggest places to go if you are interested.
09-14-2022, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The price looks cheap compared to other countries because the yen itself has weakened a lot recently. It’s not suspicious.

That price is good, but not all that remarkable. You could get a similar deal from selected dealers in Tokyo without going through the trouble of ordering online. Around Shinjuku, I’d recommend Map Camera. In fact, Pentax themselves are selling reconditioned K-70 with the 18-50 zoom for 69,800 yen. It only has 2 weeks warranty but the warranty has little value to you overseas. You could try going to the Pentax Clubhouse in Yotsuya (short train ride from Shinjuku) to see what they have.

The one issue is that stock of the K-70 is low at the moment, so I’m not sure how easy it will be to find a deal. When are you coming?

09-14-2022, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The price looks cheap compared to other countries because the yen itself has weakened a lot recently. It’s not suspicious.

That price is good, but not all that remarkable. You could get a similar deal from selected dealers in Tokyo without going through the trouble of ordering online. Around Shinjuku, I’d recommend Map Camera. In fact, Pentax themselves are selling reconditioned K-70 with the 18-50 zoom for 69,800 yen. It only has 2 weeks warranty but the warranty has little value to you overseas. You could try going to the Pentax Clubhouse in Yotsuya (short train ride from Shinjuku) to see what they have.

The one issue is that stock of the K-70 is low at the moment, so I’m not sure how easy it will be to find a deal. When are you coming?
Thanks, I did buy my brand new Canon S120 point and shoot camera at Mapcamera few years ago when a newer model was being introduced. It was a bargain and just steps from Keio Plaza hotel where the above postal code belongs. Hopefully the yen would be favourable still when Japan opens up to tourists again.
Thanks

---------- Post added 09-14-22 at 06:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Aha! OK, it shows up for me now.
From what I can see, it looks like it's fulfilled by amazon, so that should be a safe place to buy from.
Your thoughts?
if the deal includes 2 new lenses and the K70 body, I think I'll gives it a shot as my first digital slr kit. Initially I was going to get a used K70 for about 36000 yen after tax refund and put my old Pentax-F 25-70 mm lens on it. But if getting a new camera kit lenses for <75000 yens, I will buy new!
09-15-2022, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it’s a fine kit. The 18-50 can be a bit fiddly mechanically (the retraction and extension of the lens can be annoying but it works) but image quality is on par with the 18-135 in my opinion. I’ve owned the SMC DA L and HD DA versions. The biggest downside of the SMC version is that it lacks a hood. If you add a third party hood you’ll lose some compactness but it might be worth it. The Pentax hood on the HD requires a special lens cap which I really dislike the feel of, but it works. The cost of the two accessories I think is to high to add to the DA L at least here in the USA.

There 50-200 was my first dslr kit lens telephoto on a k100d super (6mp) in a kit that included the 18-55. The two lenses paired well and the 50-200 was very useful at the time. It is however a design that optically isn’t on par with more modern lens designs and fails to really bring the full sharpness desired from a 24mp camera. It’s still far better than trying to crop the 18-50! The lens stopped down a little is going to make good photos. You can do better, but it’s not a bad place to start and it’s small and light.
The 18-135 is a better lens than the 50-200 in my opinion… if I recall correctly - but I haven’t shot the 50-200 in a long time and no longer own a copy.

Enjoy your trip and the purchase.
09-15-2022, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like Amazon Japan. It has great deals on Pentax stuff. Just have to check in regularly or I might miss them. Also the return policy is buyer friendly.
09-15-2022, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
I like Amazon Japan. It has great deals on Pentax stuff. Just have to check in regularly or I might miss them. Also the return policy is buyer friendly.
I am in Japan and use Amazon here regularly. They are safe and reliable. The Pentax k70 double zoom kit is in stock and available next day delivery. Current price is ¥74,565, which seems cheap to you because of the stupid exchange rate right now