Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
highlight adjustment?

Hi Yvon, can't find how to use the K-1 highlight/shadow adjustment settings... have i missed that page in your book? Bought it and can't find it. Any advise?
Q is what happens if one set the highlight adjustment e.g. to +2?
B-good. Henk.

06-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Highlight correction essentially underexposes the image and then lifts the shadows, thereby reducing the likelihood of blown highlights. The value you select affects the strength of the effect.

I recommend the "auto" setting for general use. You can also simulate the effect in RAW by underexposing using exposure compensation and then increasing the exposure slider.

Note that if you manually select ISO 100, highlight correction is not selectable. This is because the camera internally doubles the ISO to pull off the underexposure trick.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Is it:?
Shadow adjustment setting +/- makes the dark parts of the image brighter/darker respectively.
Highlight adjustment setting +/- makes the bright parts of the image brighter/darker respectively.

It's at shooting mode, e.g. Natural, info-button, front weel to enable/disable S/H-adjustment.

Hope this is right, found in an old 2010 post here.
Please advise :-)
06-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sweets Quote
Hi Yvon, can't find how to use the K-1 highlight/shadow adjustment settings... have i missed that page in your book? Bought it and can't find it. Any advise?
Q is what happens if one set the highlight adjustment e.g. to +2?
B-good. Henk.
Hi Sweets,

Sorry it took me so long to answer. In the K-1 e-book, page 117, look under D-Range Settings. That's the Dynamic Range settings. Once open , it allows Shadow and Highlight adjustments for when you take future pictures. If you already taken the picture and want to correct its dynamic range, you can do some of that, in a limited way by displaying the image and initiate the Digital Filter from the four-way controller. Look in Chapter 3, In-camera image processing. Look at Base Parameter adjustments. Press the Info button and you can adjust some parameters there. However, once an image has been taken, especially if taken in RAW, it is best to adjust all parameters with software like Adobe Lightroom or similar software. Hope this helps. Thank you for asking.

Best Regards,

Yvon Bourque

---------- Post added 06-24-16 at 10:59 AM ----------

I am honored that my e-books are now available directly from the Pentax Forum. If you have suggestions, questions, comments regarding future e-books or upgrades, you can let me know here. All future revisions of any of the e-books you purchase or have purchased, are always available for free and will be posted here on the forum or my own site listed below this post. French is my first language and you might find some typos, please let me know and I will change that if future revisions.

Thank you to everyone that purchased one of my e-books. I really appreciate and want the e-books to contain what's important to you.

Yvon Bourque

06-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ebooks4pentax Quote
Hi Sweets,

Sorry it took me so long to answer. In the K-1 e-book, page 117, look under D-Range Settings. That's the Dynamic Range settings. Once open , it allows Shadow and Highlight adjustments for when you take future pictures. If you already taken the picture and want to correct its dynamic range, you can do some of that, in a limited way by displaying the image and initiate the Digital Filter from the four-way controller. Look in Chapter 3, In-camera image processing. Look at Base Parameter adjustments. Press the Info button and you can adjust some parameters there. However, once an image has been taken, especially if taken in RAW, it is best to adjust all parameters with software like Adobe Lightroom or similar software. Hope this helps. Thank you for asking.

Best Regards,

Yvon Bourque

---------- Post added 06-24-16 at 10:59 AM ----------

I am honored that my e-books are now available directly from the Pentax Forum. If you have suggestions, questions, comments regarding future e-books or upgrades, you can let me know here. All future revisions of any of the e-books you purchase or have purchased, are always available for free and will be posted here on the forum or my own site listed below this post. French is my first language and you might find some typos, please let me know and I will change that if future revisions.

Thank you to everyone that purchased one of my e-books. I really appreciate and want the e-books to contain what's important to you.

Yvon Bourque
Hi Yvon,
Thanks for your reply.

About my question "how does it works and in combination with other highlight/shadow settings" with the K-1.

In your book at "Custom Images (Before capturing an image)" in chapter 3. e.g. Bright, Portrait, Landscape, Cross Processing etc..
".... pressing the INFO button opens up additional Parameters Adjustments."

With my K-1, in the above mode, lets say 'Natural', i turn the FRONT-dial and get 2 additional settings in the list. These are: "Highlight Adjustment" and "Shadow Adjustment".
That's 1.

And my question is: what happens if you turn it to the plus or minus setting? And of course, how (if) it interacts with the other K-1 highlight/shadow adjustments as described in your book.

Maybe you've missed the settings. No point, just say so than it's clear in that case.

Be good and looking forward to your reply.

Henk.