Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #556
Veteran Member

As far as I know, a truly fast pancake would defy the laws of physics.

There are of course the options of the Sigma 20, 24 and 28. This is getting a bit picky, but they are a bit larger than could be made, because they are full frame. They can also be slow on the AF front due to the very close focusing abilities. I just want a fast AF, fast wide to normal.

07-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #557
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
There are of course the options of the Sigma 20, 24 and 28.
And the Sigma 30/1.4. It is smaller than the others. The only thing you might be missing is weather sealing.
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
And the Sigma 30/1.4. It is smaller than the others. The only thing you might be missing is weather sealing.
That's certainly my next lens. I thought about it before the getting the 21mm, which has gone walkabout. Would like slightly wider than 30mm, but as a street lens it looks overall quite strong. Loved the 21mm, but I can't afford both, and the 30mm gives the speed, even if I love pancake size and across-the-frame performance of the Pentax.
07-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #559
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It is smaller than the others.
It's also built like a tank, but not too heavy. The only thing that is slightly disappointing is the minimum focus distance is 40cm, but I guess this means a smaller focus throw. I couldn't really justify the speed or extra 100 bucks for the DA 21mm. And for wide angle street it is simply not wide enough for my taste- 16-17mm is a sweeter spot.

07-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #560

Hello everybody,

Looking through 38 pages to find out if one my suggestions has already been posted is a bit much, so apologies in advance if I mention something not so quite original. I own a K10 and K20, so those are my points of reference. Also I haven't thought about the technical feasibility of some of my suggestions as I'm not a camera-scientist.

One of the strong-points of Pentax bodies is the in-body SR and the limited shift function of the K7 is a step in the good direction expanding functionality of a camera with the already existing hardware designed for another purpose. I think they can improve on the aforementioned function by making the sensor even more dynamic by introducing sensor tilt for instance. This ideally in combination with better implemented tethered shooting so you can use a larger monitor in combination with LV as a ground glass for precise adjustments. More shift would also be nice in combination with the abundance of FF glass still around for perspective correction.

The next thing I would like Pentax to re-introduce (this has to be mentioned before, but imo can't be said enough) the aperture feedback notch!

If they introduce a model ranged higher than the K7 I would like to see an integrated grip or a separate one which can be attached much more rigid and in the latter case the possibility to recharge the battery without having to remove the grip. I own a K20 and I never use it without the grip, but when used on a tripod it's my opinion that there is to much play between body and grip. Yes I can take the grip off, but it would be nice if this wasn't necessary.

I think the extended bracket functions aren't very useful. What would be nice imo would be DOF and focus bracket functionality (maybe I'm to much of a pixel peeper but I'm underwhelmed by the AF capabilities of my dslrs although I heard the K7 performs better regarding AF).

While it sometimes seems everybody craves for higher iso possibilities I would like to see (a lot of) extension on the other side of the scale. This for more dynamic images in bright situations as I find the use of ND-filters somewhat cumbersome, especially when stacked as I do sometimes. The viewfinder gets to dark for proper use and you can forget about AF when stacking ND-filters above a certain point so you have to take them off en reattach them between composing + focussing (MF or AF) and shooting.

A more intelligent sensor would be nice for real-time exposure control like the LX could. Even better would be (I'm probably just day-dreaming here) multiple readouts of the sensor per exposure. Why? Less noise, stacking photo's in astrophotography is a methode used commonplace to reduce noise. This imo would also dramatically improve on dynamic range when needed. I think this would be comparable creating a HDR, you use all read-outs in underexposed areas and use less read-outs in areas which would clip in a single exposure. You could also meter for the darkest areas you want to see detail in without (to a certain degree) having to be concerned about overexposing lighter areas of your compositions.

Greetings,
John.
07-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john1973 Quote
Even better would be (I'm probably just day-dreaming here) multiple readouts of the sensor per exposure. Why? Less noise, stacking photo's in astrophotography is a methode used commonplace to reduce noise.
The K10D, K20D, and K-7 can actually already do this, almost. There's a multi-exposure mode which takes multiple shots in succession and merges them in the way you suggest (without HDR).
07-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #562
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by john1973 Quote
A more intelligent sensor would be nice for real-time exposure control like the LX could. Even better would be (I'm probably just day-dreaming here) multiple readouts of the sensor per exposure. Why? Less noise, stacking photo's in astrophotography is a methode used commonplace to reduce noise. This imo would also dramatically improve on dynamic range when needed. I think this would be comparable creating a HDR, you use all read-outs in underexposed areas and use less read-outs in areas which would clip in a single exposure. You could also meter for the darkest areas you want to see detail in without (to a certain degree) having to be concerned about overexposing lighter areas of your compositions.
Yes, this method kinda works on the K-7 (shadow and highlight correction) BUT as far as I know this is all done digitally in the processor after the shot has been taken - it results in some noise in the darker areas because it's almost the same as editing a picture in let's say Lightroom and applying the graduated filter to the darker part to lighten it -> you produce noise in that part.

To solve this the sensor would have to be VERY smart (or at least the exposure control behind it) to figure out which pixels in the current shot will be under exposed and which will be over exposed then correct the exposure of each pixel (this means separate voltage/current control for each pixel and I don't think this is possible just yet). I don't know exactly how this would work but I do know it would take a lot of processing power to process each of the 14,6 million pixels. And even if you manage to evaluate all the pixels the end result could be a strange looking picture - like the ones where you exaggerate with shadows and highlights in post editing. Again, this could be solved with user set parameters and again there's a problem - how much correction you'd want for each shot ... a slider option maybe.

I mostly shoot landscape and this kind of feature would be great when you can't use ND filters to correct exposure but I think the technology just isn't there yet. Software solutions produce too much noise.

Still the best way to go is to use ND where possible and do a lot of post editing where needed.

07-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #563

The method used in the K7 isn't really what I had in mind with my multiple read-out per exposure. I figure the sensor doesn't have to be that smart, but the read-out has to get a lot faster. With the method I have in mind it doesn't have to take care of the exposure as this will be always be under-exposed per read-out.
You get multiple read-outs per exposure which you can post-process like the way one does when making an HDR. Most HDR's I see are indeed over-processed to my taste, I mostly use it to make the end result look more like you see it with your own eyes as in the example I'm attaching to this reply.

Haus der Kulturen der Welt in Berlin.

Greetings, John.
07-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
Yes, this method kinda works on the K-7 (shadow and highlight correction)
No, not the shadow and highlight correction. The multiple-exposure feature, where it takes multiple underexposed images in quick succession and blends them.
07-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #565
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
No, not the shadow and highlight correction. The multiple-exposure feature, where it takes multiple underexposed images in quick succession and blends them.
That feature never worked for me if I wanted to create multiple exposures of the same shot and blend them logically (darker sky and lighter ground). The problem with this mode is that it just blends 50/50 with transparency, it doesn't replace pixels. Useless if you ask me.
07-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #566
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
That feature never worked for me if I wanted to create multiple exposures of the same shot and blend them logically (darker sky and lighter ground). The problem with this mode is that it just blends 50/50 with transparency, it doesn't replace pixels. Useless if you ask me.
It doesn't do that, but it does do what john1973 was describing. You're asking for the multi-image HDR mode, which is different.
07-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #567

Photos: Albums
Pentaprism with focus indicator

When moved to new digital pentax cameras from my ME one, one thing I still miss is the focus indicator in pentaprism. It looks something like the one in attachment.
It is much easier to focus, when you can see exactly what is in focus. Also, it is more easy to set focus point exactly where I want it.
Any chance of comeback or are there some fundametal problems I have missed?

It works a bit like Leica Rangefinder, although I haven't used one, just read about it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tranzistors; 07-29-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Adding info.
07-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
When moved to new digital pentax cameras from my ME one, one thing I still miss is the focus indicator in pentaprism. It looks something like the one in attachment.
It is much easier to focus, when you can see exactly what is in focus. Also, it is more easy to set focus point exactly where I want it.
Any chance of comeback or are there some fundametal problems I have missed?

It works a bit like Leica Rangefinder, although I haven't used one, just read about it.
This is a split-prism focusing screen. You can buy third-party ones for Pentax from KatzEye or from several sellers of Chinese-make products on eBay.

The principle downside is that the prism blacks out at smaller apertures. And, they apparently can interfere with metering. I also find them distracting when composing a picture, although I suppose I'd get used to that.
07-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #569

Thanks, mattdm!
07-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #570

dear pentax,
here are some of the list that I can suggest you to do for the
Pentax Kx

not exactly a must but this is what I want for my Kx..

1. Weather sealing -- if pentax comes up with a Kx body armor that can give the camera some weather resistance. then Im game for it!
Its okay if it doesn't provide maximum protection,
some resistance will certainly help us a lot and not to worry about
when mother nature suddenly strikes.

2. AF assist - just something that I can clip on the hotshoe that is also P-TTL can help us a lot. especially during shooting in low light.

3. Remote - is there something that can trigger the Kx wirelessly (not IR) through the hotshoe? like there will be a reciever on the hotshoe..

4. vertical grip - this is for people with big hands, I bought the Kx for its Image quality, Im kinda 90/100 on the size of the Kx as it doesnt actually fit my big hands and im getting some palm sores when there is a flash mounted on the hotshoe..

so and added grip will be fine.

--

I don't think developing these will not shift the interests of people for the K7 since these will come in separately for the Kx unlike the K7 where most of these are already integrated with the unit.

thanks.