Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 05:27 AM   #676

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Please Pretty Please Pentax.

I'm a dedicated bird photographer.

So if posible:

Give us a FW update that alloves us to select different burst rates with K-5, to allow us to shoot longer seqenses without filling the buffer.
ca 2, 4, 6 and 8 fps would be fine.
It seem that the buffer problem will be solved with the new FW. Thank you Pentax

But the feature I was asking could still be very useful for action photography. 7 pps produces a lot of files, and fills the card very fast. In many cases with more files than you really need to get the job done.

So please give a couple more speed options in continuous drive mode.

10-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #677
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Pentax Remote Assistant/tethering suggestions:
- Change the order it downloads in when you shoot JPEG+RAW so it transfers the JPEG first, then the RAW
- If the camera is only shooting RAW or JPEG, transfer over the thumbnail first
- Add an option to save JPEG in progressive format so it can be displayed by a viewer as the image is being downloaded
Good list and to that I would add:

Beside simply restoring tethered remote control to the K20D/K-7/K-5 sequence of bodies (currently the K20D is the last Pentax body to support tethering in any fashion). Also add real-time Live View in tethered mode. This aids composition as well as fine focus to a considerable degree. I often would like to have the camera in a position which does not allow any access to see settings, viewfinder or even the rear LCD. Having a fully functioning tethering feature would make the new bodies absolutely perfect for my photography needs in terms of it as a recreational hobby as well as earning a living. But even with the tethering I have on the K20D it's not quite "grown-up" enough from what I was used to with my Canon gear.

Being able to get the camera into these awkward to use positions is why I spent the cash on a tripod that lets me cantilever the center post over the top of the subject. This lets me get products into proper positions which would otherwise require more PP to clone out props needed to support the items. And this is where the real-time Live View needs to be there as a composition aid as well as to confirm focus.
11-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #678
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Real time live view is already present as I found when I used the HDMI connection to test a monitor. Effectively the rear screen feed is output including graphics.
11-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #679
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Real time live view is already present as I found when I used the HDMI connection to test a monitor. Effectively the rear screen feed is output including graphics.
Sigh...why is it every freaking time people mention true tethering it needs to be re-explained? Tethering in DSLR terms is NOT anything like what you have for your phone if you are "tethering" a device to your phone to share the broadband connection...or even sending images to an external device. I has to do with full remote control of the camera via whatever I/O connection the body has, in this case the USB port.

Please take the time to re-read my comment, it is about tethering to your PC in order to control the camera settings and if we would be luck, even a thing called "focus bracketing", it is NOT about a basic video out ability that is on pretty much any DSLR I have ever seen. Tethering was REMOVED from the line of bodies after the K20D and of course Hoya also dropped Pentax Remote Assistant Software from the camera's supplied support software. Just because you can connect to an external monitor for Live View redirection that has NOTHING to do with tethering and when tethered there is no Live View option unless Pentax enables it. The K20D, which is the last DSLR with any sort of tethering, does not provide real time Live View OR, as you are describing a video-out option. Everything runs through the body's I/O port, again in this case the USB port...

Hope that clears up what we all who NEED tethering expect.

11-07-2010, 02:43 AM   #680
Forum Member

i almost sold my 5d for a k5 until i saw that theres no tethering....
11-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #681
Veteran Member

Lens suggestions:

-Fantastic plastic DA 50mm 1.7 to complement the DA 35 2.4.
-DA 28m f2.0 for normal-wide shots in dim light.
-DA 12-24mm WR option!
-DA* 85 1.4.
11-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #682

How much do you think all that will weigh? There are 32 GB SD cards now and the BG can carry another one. This is more than 800 RAW files in one day. You can now buy a TB external USB hard drive, Western Digital, the size of a wallet or smller for less than $120. I got one last week. Back up all you want.

I would like for Pentax to fix the Flash issue with my K5 (soon to be my Ex-K5.... I got the RMA and it is going back on Monday to the dealer, my second copy in two weeks with intolerable flash issues both built in and external and faulty metering system) as a priorety...then work towards the future concepts.

11-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #683
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Pentax.

Please send me a brand new K-5 free of charge so I can test it and put an end to the comments, controversy, chatter, conversation, contradiction, criticism, cheap talk, debates, discussions, (these are words with a D this time) dialogues, diatribes about it's sharpness, resolution and other defects; you may not be aware of it but some amateurish, badly exposed, blurred, hyper saturated photographies are running on the internet to your disgrace. If you want to contact me on this issue, feel free to do so on this forum devoted to your brand. The ball is on your side now. Be interesting.

Thank you.

(credits to KC's Elephant Talk for the semantic material)
12-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #684
Banned

'Dear pentax,
for the next generation of camera's that will come out in 2011 and after.

Please make it faster in working.

- The K-5 takes 25 seconds to flush a full buffer of RAW pictures.
- K-5 Lo continous shooting is only 1.6 fps wich is very slow.
- K-5 cannot keep shooting Jpeg one star quality at 7 fps.
- Full HD movie, there is no 30fps, and in HD there is no 50/60 fps.
- Adjusting CA- and lenscorrections take a long time.
- 645D is a slow camera compared to its peers and getting a preview JPG takes a long time.

So please make it faster. Wheater its dual PRIME II or a new PRIME III processor. As long as it works.

Thank you.
12-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #685
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
i almost sold my 5d for a k5 until i saw that theres no tethering....
Rumour has it that the forthcoming tethering support for the 645D will work for the K-5 as well. I hope (and expect) this is true.
12-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #686

Yep.... Pentax should seriously take into consideration what fans say. It seems they deliberately ignore any information they could find on forums.... if they wanted to find them. Their whole policy looks like a bunch of engineers who like to come up with new ideas but not bother further. Pair it with awful marketing and here you go. Anyway, what I'd like to see is:

Uncrippled KAF mount. Just to let you know Nikon has already listened to its customers. They've already put the Ai pin back on some of their DSLRs.

Full frame DSLR. Why is it so bloody difficult to build one. There is a considerate demand for a Pentax DSLR out there. One of my fellow Pentaxians who is in professional photography bitterly changed system because of this. He could not wait any longer.

TTL support. Yes... we'd like to use TTL again. It is better than P-TTL or at least as good.

Thanks Pentax.... if you ever listen to your followers....
12-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #687
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
Yep.... Pentax should seriously take into consideration what fans say. It seems they deliberately ignore any information they could find on forums.... if they wanted to find them. Their whole policy looks like a bunch of engineers who like to come up with new ideas but not bother further. Pair it with awful marketing and here you go. Anyway, what I'd like to see is:

Uncrippled KAF mount. Just to let you know Nikon has already listened to its customers. They've already put the Ai pin back on some of their DSLRs.

Full frame DSLR. Why is it so bloody difficult to build one. There is a considerate demand for a Pentax DSLR out there. One of my fellow Pentaxians who is in professional photography bitterly changed system because of this. He could not wait any longer.

TTL support. Yes... we'd like to use TTL again. It is better than P-TTL or at least as good.

Apparently Hoya (Pentax JP) don't believe the internet impacts their business and ignore it in general. As far as i know one of the few Pentax execs who follows the internet chatter is Ned, though i'm not entirely certain they listen to him as well
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #688
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote

I'm not sure how representative this and other forums are of Pentax users and potential buyers in general. I think that this audience is a little skewed toward people who are, for the most part, long-time Pentax users and serious photography enthusiasts. Pentax' market includes a lot of people who never visit this or any other internet photography forum. However, I think that they should at least take notice of what is said here. For all we know, they might lurk, but just not post.

I agree about the crippled KAF mount. How much cost could it add to re-introduce that little lever to determine the selected aperture on a K or M series lens? They already brag that you can use any Pentax 35mm SLR lens ever made. Why not make the backward compatibility complete?

Others have mentioned the ability to disable SDM and revert to screw drive. Nice, but probably isn't going to happen. That would be admitting defeat.

Full Frame is not a question of whether Pentax is capable of building one or not. It is a question of expected market share and development cost. There isn't even what I would call overwhelming demand on this and other forums, for a FF Pentax. There are those who want it, yes, but, again, this forum is not representative of the market as a whole. Pentax has around 8-10 percent of the worldwide dslr market. IIRC, polls have shown that fewer than half the posters on this forum truely want FF. FF dslr sales are a tiny percentage of overall sales, even for C & N. Realistically, how much of that market could Pentax take from them. There are constant rumors that Sony is, at best, breaking even in the FF dslr market, and they've got much deeper pockets than Hoya/Pentax.

TTL is probably a cost issue, although reportedly, the reason that they dropped it was that sensors don't reflect light the same way that film did. Actually, I would think that a digital sensor would be easier to do TTL with, since the sensor's reflectivity doesn't change. With film, it could change with every different film emulsion or manufacturer you used. And, it seemed to work well on the *istD and the first few Pentax dslrs. Personally, I think its really production costs and the fact that they spent a lot of money developing p-ttl (corporate ego).

But then, what do I know?

Paul Noble
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #689
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I'm not sure how representative this and other forums are of Pentax users and potential buyers in general. I think that this audience is a little skewed toward people who are, for the most part, long-time Pentax users and serious photography enthusiasts. Pentax' market includes a lot of people who never visit this or any other internet photography forum. However, I think that they should at least take notice of what is said here. For all we know, they might lurk, but just not post.

I agree about the crippled KAF mount. How much cost could it add to re-introduce that little lever to determine the selected aperture on a K or M series lens? They already brag that you can use any Pentax 35mm SLR lens ever made. Why not make the backward compatibility complete?

Others have mentioned the ability to disable SDM and revert to screw drive. Nice, but probably isn't going to happen. That would be admitting defeat.

Full Frame is not a question of whether Pentax is capable of building one or not. It is a question of expected market share and development cost. There isn't even what I would call overwhelming demand on this and other forums, for a FF Pentax. There are those who want it, yes, but, again, this forum is not representative of the market as a whole. Pentax has around 8-10 percent of the worldwide dslr market. IIRC, polls have shown that fewer than half the posters on this forum truely want FF. FF dslr sales are a tiny percentage of overall sales, even for C & N. Realistically, how much of that market could Pentax take from them. There are constant rumors that Sony is, at best, breaking even in the FF dslr market, and they've got much deeper pockets than Hoya/Pentax.

TTL is probably a cost issue, although reportedly, the reason that they dropped it was that sensors don't reflect light the same way that film did. Actually, I would think that a digital sensor would be easier to do TTL with, since the sensor's reflectivity doesn't change. With film, it could change with every different film emulsion or manufacturer you used. And, it seemed to work well on the *istD and the first few Pentax dslrs. Personally, I think its really production costs and the fact that they spent a lot of money developing p-ttl (corporate ego).

But then, what do I know?

Paul Noble
we're not representaive, but we do come up when you search pentax on google pretty much at the top for most queries, and any issue that doesn't appear to be addressed by Hoya looks bad to potential consumers of any camera
FF i agree is a small percentage of the market, however like the 645D it is a Halo product and thus impacts sales all the way down the line, same as it does for canikon. i'm pretty certain they don't make a ton on ff, they do sell a lot of rebels due to the ff though
i'm also puzzled why the crippling can't be fixed doesn't seem like a big (or expensive issue) for that matter neither does TTL
Or perhaps tele converters which some brain trust at hoya decided aren't needed in the digital world (yeah right tell that to every other brand/lens manufacturer....i'm pretty sure there is a market for them)
12-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #690

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Rumour has it that the forthcoming tethering support for the 645D will work for the K-5 as well. I hope (and expect) this is true.
... and the K-7, K-x, K-r?
Pentax should give, like other brands do, this feature all users of any Pentax-DSLR.