Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duncan J Murray Quote
1. Vertical ISO dial
I can see where you're coming from, although the current implementation on K10/K20 where you can program the ok-button to switch ISO is quite handy too...

QuoteQuote:
2. Bring back the FA* lenses, with an extra FF wide-angle f2.8 zoom (17-35 or 14-24)
That isn't going to happen very soon...

QuoteQuote:
3. Programmable 'Program' setting, where we can specify minimum shutter speed and preferred aperture.
You clearly didn't dig into the hyper program/manual program, because if you did, you wouldn't ask this much... To me, hyper modes is more intelligent than the implementations on Canikons...

QuoteQuote:
4. Full Frame sensor + pro mag body
Should be on its way (although I couldn't care less...)

QuoteQuote:
5. ultrasonic focusing on 50/1.4, limiteds, etc..
There is a DA* 55 and 35 comming up which will most likely feature SDM. But please, do me a favour: do NOT implement SDM on the Limiteds; it would kill the whole idea...

QuoteQuote:
6. Autofocusing to keep up with the others
Don't know where this is coming from, but I can tell you: a little more than a month ago I had the opportunity to try out a Nikon D200 along with a Canon 40D and my ist D. I tell ya: while both the Nikon and Canon where (a little) faster in focussing, they where also very imprecise, and sometimes both the Canon and the Nikon ended up just doing sth (if anything) and a lot of images ended up completely misfocussed. If that's the way the other brands are doing, then I'm all too glad that my ist D is a little slower in focussing...

QuoteQuote:
7. Colour matrix metering nikon-style.
Again, I don't know where this is coming from. I never had any issues with metering on a Pentax...

04-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
I agree with all the above. In checking out the K20 reviews, the camera seems to be lens limited and does not bode too well compared to others.
A camera, say, a Pz1D, with full frame and 14mp with 14 bit processing would trip my trigger.
And by bringing out a full frame, all of a sudden resolution will not be limited anymore by the lens?

I wish people would wake up and stop asking for a full frame, because it is simply a bad idea (if you want to know why it is a bad idea, just read this...
05-01-2008, 01:55 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
And by bringing out a full frame, all of a sudden resolution will not be limited anymore by the lens?

I wish people would wake up and stop asking for a full frame, because it is simply a bad idea (if you want to know why it is a bad idea, just read this...
The present K20D (and the E3) require superb lenses in order to take advantage of the sensor resolution (99 lpmm). A full frame sensor with traditional lenses at 14mp requires far less. I wonder it that is the reason Canon users love the 5D so much.

Each to their own.

Gee, I thought this was a friendly forum - guess I was wrong.

I will go away.
05-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #64
Veteran Member

You don't have to go away; I'm sorry if my reply was out of line. It's just a little frustrating to see the full frame wish to pop up everyone once in a while, if for no other reason than a marketing reason (because, to me, that is its main reason of existence.)

While I admit that defraction will show its ugly head earlier with a 14 MPix APS-C camera , you will have to admit that only little people have asked for the K20 to be a 14 MPix in the first place (and the fact it is 14 MPix is a marketing reason too), but because of that wishing for a full frame to come out is (in my eyes anyway) plain wrong...

Sorry again if I offended you...

05-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
You don't have to go away; I'm sorry if my reply was out of line. It's just a little frustrating to see the full frame wish to pop up everyone once in a while, if for no other reason than a marketing reason (because, to me, that is its main reason of existence.)

While I admit that defraction will show its ugly head earlier with a 14 MPix APS-C camera , you will have to admit that only little people have asked for the K20 to be a 14 MPix in the first place (and the fact it is 14 MPix is a marketing reason too), but because of that wishing for a full frame to come out is (in my eyes anyway) plain wrong...

Sorry again if I offended you...

I think I should give you a little background. As you probably know I have been using Pentax gear for some time - and part of that time professionally. My present equipment consist of the K10D - which I quite like, 35mm bodies from the the S1a (Spotmatic was my first), most mechanical bodies through the LX and a pair of SF1ns. Plus a Pentax 6X7 system and a Horseman VHR with 3 lenses. In the past I have owned 4X5 cameras and Hasselblads as well.

Doing my own processing and enlarging, I know what a difference format size means and the benefits of most. I can tell the difference between pictures taken with all formats including Digital. For me, film still has its place and I plan to continue using that medium as well.

My next digital camera will be full frame. When will I buy, when I find one that I like. Hopefully it will be Pentax so I can continue to use my Pentax primes from the 15 through 200mm.

My favourite focal lengths (in 35mm format terms) are 50, 35, 30 and 28. Occasionally I will use my 15 or a Tokina 17mm. The equivalent Digital lenses at the wide end seem quite difficult for manufacturers to manufacture and match the results of their 35mm equivalent. In other words, the 21mm limited will not match my 30mm f2.8 if both were used with their design formats.

I am not trying to convince other to come over to my way of thinking. It is just my style of photography is different than others.

I know of several photographers that use multiple systems - indeed some will find a lens that is suited for their needs and then buy a body to match. In a way, I am like that and long for that time again (retiring soon) to drag out the horseman and get stuck back into it.

Cheers
05-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
$2500-3500 would be worth the money with SDM, weather sealing and a constant f/4.0 all the way through so long as it maintained the same colour/contrast of the other 2 DA*'s and was sharp enough for excellent detail in feathers/fur. I'd hold off on a new body for a lens like that!
I agree! Also at the other end, a DA* 11-16 f2.8 (version of the Tokina lens) would be nice. And a third lens that's needed soon is a 70mm macro to compliment the 35 limited.
05-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The present K20D (and the E3) require superb lenses in order to take advantage of the sensor resolution (99 lpmm).
hmmmm.. where did you obtain the 99lpmm number from. as far as I can tell that is "theoretical max" and probably not really real without removing the AA filter ect.
More likely it's 75-80 lpmm. This is still a easily obtained figure in current and past "quality" lenses. An A50 2.8 Pentax Macro exceeds 100 lpmm.
Pack a few more million pixels here and we can start talking about outresolving issues..

As to your own "useage" I assume mid-range and lower zooms don't fill your bags...
These may "struggle" a bit w/ the K20...as duely noted by Pentax w/ their upgrade of the kit lens.
Would love to see a bench test of the 2 models to see how Pentax (guess on my part) improved resolution on it, and how much...

A full frame sensor with traditional lenses at 14mp requires far less. I wonder it that is the reason Canon users love the 5D so much.
So part of the FF arguement is we have too much resolution in an APS sensor??????
That's an interesting slant on it and certainly not a very useable marketing point..
"Your images too sharp? buy our FF camera and make them "fuzzier"
"Cheap glass, buy a 3x more expensive camera and the'll look better.".
HUMOR intended...

05-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Oh, here's one.

Ability to display the K temperature and blue-yellow/green-magenta scale for a shutter-click "captured" custom white balance, and the ability to then copy that into one of the three presets. (Or six presets, while I'm asking for things. )
05-09-2008, 04:48 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I would like to see Pentax come out with a new body that rivals the Olympus E420 in size and features. Like the Oly, it could be sold as a body only or with a choice of kit lenses--the 18-55, the 40 pancake, or even the 35 macro.

The reason that I mention the 35 macro is that it's the length that's the closest to the traditional 50mm on a FF camera. Along with the small body, Pentax could market that kit as "the camera that sees how you see".

Heather
05-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #70
Veteran Member

in-camera raw wb improvement

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Ability to display the K temperature and blue-yellow/green-magenta scale for a shutter-click "captured" custom white balance, and the ability to then copy that into one of the three presets. (Or six presets, while I'm asking for things. )
Oh, and also: when doing RAW->JPEG in camera, currently one can select the custom white balance options as available at time of shooting. It'd be much more helpful if these could be redefined on the fly per-image. (Basically, bring up a screen exactly like the one gets when selecting the WB while shooting, but then apply the result to the current image's JPEG conversion.)
05-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #71
Damn Brit

Dear Pentax;

Please open your own stores in select cities. Preferably next door to Mac stores.
Maybe you could even share space.
cc Santa
05-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #72
Veteran Member

OK I'll join. 8)

When you make the K1D or whatever it is going to be that is an FF cam, either give us an AF button that is easily accessible from both portrait and landscape orientations or make two AF buttons for use in their own respective shooting orientation.

Use the space in that grip to express the innovations that make Pentax Pentax.
suggestions: built in radio for flashes, built in hard drive, gps would be especially cool for landscapers and as a wedding photographer i could always look up an old shot if a client wants to know where it was.., wifi transmission would KICK, voice annotation would help too because while im working, i can remember names of clients or events or special requests from clients...

(the following remarks regarding canon simply are examples that these can be done)

weather sealed flash
i finally saw the canon 580 ex2 that is weather sealed the other day. i picked it up and it really felt like i was holding a pentax item. i asked the owner, 'this is weather sealed isnt it?' sure enough....

bigger brighter VF
i also had the chance to shoot on a canon1Ds mark 3
that VF was large and bright and great!

i dont know if the K20D already does this but
IN VF: aperture value, shutter speed, and iso all visible, all the time.
push the ok button for something else like file format or color temp or whatever

mag alloy body
nuff said. 8)

yes keep improving on your AF speed and dynamic range as well. i believe you will keep doing that anyway.
05-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #73

For the k300d:

-same as k200d except
-pentaprism 0.95x viewfinder
-newer AF
-samsung 14mp sensor
-dual control wheels
-3" 960k dots LCD screen
-live view w/ cotnrast detection focus
-improved SR
-improved anti-dust

I really like the k100d/k200d body size, just good enough. Basically I want a k20/30d level body in the k100d mold...
05-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Canon, Nikon, Sony? and Olympus/Panasonic? are comming with digital 24X36, but not Hasselblad and Mamiya.
Pentax has stoped producing the most lenses for 24X36, and why?
Because Pentax has 645 and 6X7 tradition, so if Pentax comes with a bigger format, it will be a "APS" type of 645.

So i gess that next Pentax is a K1D with the same sensor as K20D, but with better AF, faster fps, under 900grams, batterygrip, 100% viewfinder and not with GPS(i hope) but instead with memoryrecording (like a pocket camera). A better camera than Nikon D300...

A camera i would like to see is a Pentax K50D Limited, to match the limited lenses, no water proof, smal and not a plastic feeling.
Or a basic K1000D without screen...
05-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #75

Firmware upgrades for panos & HDR

My requests are simple firmware type upgrades inspired by my weekend of shooting in Zion National Park.

I shot a lot of panoramas this weekend and missed my P&S pano mode. It would dump all the files shot with pano mode on in a separate folder. It would also show on the LCD how the files overlapped, but I don't think that's necessary. Sorting the files would help immensely, though.

I'd also like auto exposure bracketed shots to be placed in their own folder. It'd make assembling HDRs easier.