Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #751
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't it time for a 'Dear Ricoh' sequal to this thread?

07-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #752
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
No, AFAIC.

Pentax will live on as a brand.
We didn't have a "Dear Hoya" thread either.
07-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #753
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
improved viewing screen

Dear Pentax:

A tilting/swiveling viewing screen would be welcome. To be innovative, add a tilting/swiveling screen that can be unplugged then connected by a wire for remote viewing, and even better, add a focus/shutter trigger button to the screen for remote firing without using the regular cable release. An impossible dream: give the unplug screen wireless connectivity to the camera for up to maybe 10 meters.

AND PLEASE! Stop introducing new lenses that cover the 70-100mm range. How many lenses do we need that overlap those focal lengths? I believe the count is nine currently in production.

WPRESTO
07-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #754
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
If Ricoh, bless 'em, can keep the Pentax name, this thread can as well.

09-07-2011, 05:47 AM   #755

PENTAX 645D, Lightroom + USB

Needs to be done to support the Pentax 645D shooting photos to the computer via USB.
(Tethering shooting)
Do not need a new soft (Pentax Utility)! We can shoot in Lightroom and be happy.

Please - make it possible!

Last edited by Eduard Kraft; 09-10-2011 at 04:08 AM.
09-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #756
Oog
Forum Member

I want a Pentax that can do what a N---n D7** can do in the following:
- Full Frame!!!!
- Open aperture metering with K and M lenses (de-cripple the KAF2 mount)
- Full manual exposure ability (although I guess that's what EV compensation + auto-exposure accomplishes, huh?)

I would buy one in a heartbeat - kitted out with my amateur kit of A28f2.8, A35-70f4, and A70-200f4 lenses, plus a plethora of others I have, including an M50f4 Macro and lovely K35f2 and K55f1.8!!!!!

It's either give $4000+ to N---n for a D7** + 3 autofocus primes, or (estimated) $2500+ to Pentax for a FF body..

Bring us to the physical digital equivalent of 35mm!!!
09-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #757

For Pentax 645D new digital lenses: 28mm, 75mm and 120mm macro.

And support usb port for tethering shooting.
Please!

09-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #758
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
....been trying to hijack this computer for a week.....finally, some idiot left the back door open......

Dear Pentax,
I just want what you promised in our deal, and have yet to receive. For faithfully promoting your products, in particular that K5, you were to give me a freighter loaded with exotic nuts from all over the world, and a tanker full to the top with the beer of my choice (NO SAKI!) These were to be delivered to the Port of Houston Texas or to the boat dock in Galveston of my friend Sailor.

Haven't seen a ship on the horizon yet with my hard earned goods.......and I am getting a little anxious. I understand you have had a few difficulties over there, with tsunamis and earthquakes, meltdowns, and economic free fall, but you ain't seen nothing yet if I don't get my goods by Thanksgiving. My Army is restless, has never been to Japan, but looks forward to the trip if necessary. If you have never dealt with an angry Army of Squirrels, you are in for a shock on the order of Magnitude 10. Get off your butts and get my goods shipped, at once!

Best Regards!
General***** Otis Squirrel
10-02-2011, 04:56 AM   #759
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dear Pentax

1. Please make a K-5 replacement with buildt in O-GPS1.

2. Buy Sonys new 24 Mp sensor for the K-5 replacement

3. Give us ISO 50 and 25.

4. Be inspired by Hasselblad Multishot (MS) technology. Make quadruple resolution by moving the sensor and take multiple shots. Also make bayer overlap with same technic.

5. Make a K-r replacement with same sensor as K-5.

6. Make a dirt cheap low end K-mount camera without optical viewfinder, SLT mirror and phase focus. Give it fewer buttons, AA battery, and most important: dirt cheap. Get sales partners in common electronic stores, supermarkets and so on. Pentax needs to be more agressive on entry level to increase volume and make K-r and K-5 class a natural upgrade path for more people.

Last edited by Simen1; 10-02-2011 at 05:09 AM.
10-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #760

Dear Pentax/Ricoh

As a matter of urgency please update the firmware for the K-5 to provide the following in video mode:

FULL manual control option with video - Canon issued a firmware update for the EOS 5D Mk11 which opened shutter speed, aperture and ISO to manual control.

Optional selection of H264 file compression.

Optional selection of 24fps (Why does Pentax march to the beat of a different drum?)

Also nice to have would be AF in video mode.

In my humble opion the inclusion of these controls would increase sales dramatically, particularly to the semi pro/pro community.
Before the dyed in the wool "Stills" aficionados start banging on about the evils of video, please look around - Canon, Nikon, Sony et al and dare I say it RICOH have all grasped the idea that Video is here to stay.

C'mon Pentax/Ricoh let's do it.
10-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #761
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pugwash Quote
As a matter of urgency please update the firmware for the K-5 to provide the following in video mode:

FULL manual control option with video - Canon issued a firmware update for the EOS 5D Mk11 which opened shutter speed, aperture and ISO to manual control.

Optional selection of H264 file compression.

Optional selection of 24fps (Why does Pentax march to the beat of a different drum?)

Also nice to have would be AF in video mode.

In my humble opion the inclusion of these controls would increase sales dramatically, particularly to the semi pro/pro community.
Before the dyed in the wool "Stills" aficionados start banging on about the evils of video, please look around - Canon, Nikon, Sony et al and dare I say it RICOH have all grasped the idea that Video is here to stay.

C'mon Pentax/Ricoh let's do it.
Let's analyze your request.

1. The only possible reason for buying a Pentax system to shoot video is legacy glass (M and A lenses, specially wides). In that case, cramming features like aperture control and AF during video is close to useless. And even if they did, it would require a different AF system anyway.
2. The SR mechanism drains too much battery, thus requiring more juicy batteries. That doesn't fit well with Pentax philosophy of compact bodies and AA batteries, which is okay for still, but sucks for video.
3. Video compression would only make battery life worse, as it requires more powerful processors.
4. Finally, Pentax doesn't have full-frame, which is the reason number one to make movies on a DSLR.

Given all the compromises, Pentax would have to morph into a dedicated video platform to have any chance to beat Canon at that. Good luck.
10-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #762

Analyze : To examine methodically by separating into parts and studying their interrelations.

A lot of assumptions there hcarvalhoalves.

"1. The only possible reason for buying a Pentax system to shoot video is legacy glass (M and A lenses, specially wides). In that case, cramming features like aperture control and AF during video is close to useless. And even if they did, it would require a different AF system anyway."

Legacy glass is certainly not my motivation, ease of use and flexibility is. All my glass is <18 months!

"2. The SR mechanism drains too much battery, thus requiring more juicy batteries. That doesn't fit well with Pentax philosophy of compact bodies and AA batteries, which is okay for still, but sucks for video."

SR is deactivated in my K-5 movie setup because it detracts from the overall video quality particularly when panning - no drain on battery power here.

"3. Video compression would only make battery life worse, as it requires more powerful processors."

The "OPTION" to use H264 is just that - an option. If battery capacity is a major concern then stick with the Pentax AVI format and be prepared to spend time transcoding into a more conventional AVI format to allow processing in mainstream movie software. In my case the power saving in not using SR in movie mode would more than compensate for H264 compression

"4. Finally, Pentax doesn't have full-frame, which is the reason number one to make movies on a DSLR"

My reason for quoting the Canon EOS 5D Mk11 history was to illustrate what can be done with firmware upgrade. I respect your personal opinion about this, but I strongly disagree with your logic.

An issue that was not addressed in your response was that of the need for an "OPTION" of movie 24fps. Not having this fps available causes issues when editing videos from several camera sources.

Finally, I would like to add that I have been a dedicated Pentax owner/user for many years. The original Asahi Pentax Spotmatic in 1960 through to my current K-5 have been magnificent tools for still photography. Having grasped the inclusion of video in the DSLR arsenal of tools I would now appreciate being able to fully utilize its potential. Would you subscribe to the view that Pentax/Ricoh should ditch video capability in favour of producing an all out stills camera at a lower price? The DSLR with full stills and video capability is a refreshing advance in technology.
10-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K20d has the best video features of any DSLR on the market....

(I'll let you read between the lines there)

A Full Full Frame version with better autofocus would be like a dream come true. Bring on the Kodak CCDs!
10-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #764
kff
Inactive Account

- buy Metz or Elinchrom or both company....

- develop Modular system with external modules (like GXR but more split)
... split body, sensor and lens units ... we can use body when we travel in other case we can use tablet (Android, iPad etc.) for directing with bigger display (important),
it is real revolution .. not only mirrorless.
I think that people like Jobs would add interchangable lens modul with sensor to tablets and smartphones
and after several Years ...who will be Pentax Ricoh / Nikon / Canon etc !!!
There is possiible trasfer data from sensor to external unit,
changed some hardware by software emulation and it would do what we need
(e.g. ARM processor and graphical cards or develop special photo clone of tablets with DSP processor)

... and try it in the nature and in the level ground .. if You need some expensive equipment (special tripod) for fixing then it is'nt well done
. .. I think that solution is in the controlling device, which we would use normal non expensive tripod
and all functions we would change from control unit via tablet or smartphone without moving tripod ....

- adapt camera hardware components to ICT technical standard (all components and add other like wi-fi, BT3, GPS etc.)

- keep technical evolution

- more software developping and benefits

- try re-value partnership with Samsung or make partnership it with other ICT company like Apple, Google, IBM, Nokia, Oracle etc.

thanks K.

Last edited by kff; 10-09-2011 at 12:51 AM.
10-10-2011, 02:58 AM   #765
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dear Pentax .. give us wireless tethering over a common protocoll that can be used with common mobile phones, tablets, PCs and TVs.

(or at least full HD HDMI tethering)