Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #856
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Respecting the K-01 - What is the purpose of a mirrorless body that takes DSLR lenses? Presumably more compact and light, or perhaps to appeal to upgraders from P&S cameras. But my main transport problem is numerous lenses plus flash, a tripod, and miscellaneous photo accessories (extra batteries, filters, reflectors, diffusers, cable release, etc.) . A camera body somewhat smaller than my K-5 is insignificant to the burden I carry. But then, maybe there will be even more compact lenses for the K-01 that can intrude into the empty mirror box, especially wide and wide to tele zooms. But then those lenses will not be usable on the K-5, just as more the compact lenses for the K-5 will not be usable on the anticipated K-Pro FF because of vignetting. The K-01 is an interesting concept that perhaps is filling an imaginary niche. If I want a really light compact camera, I'll go for a P&S that has a 10X, or 20X, even 30X zoom and still can fit easily into my pocket. Alas, I fear a financial catastrophe in the K-01. Hopefully it will not discourage Ricoh from developing some really interesting cameras.

03-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #857
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Hopefully it will not discourage Ricoh from developing some really interesting cameras.
......They did. It just doesn't interest you.
03-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #858
Veteran Member

WPRESTO is 100% correct. Even IF there will be lots and lots of special mirrorless lenses that go partially inside the camera body, then there still would be only a neglectable space-saving. Only a few saved cm³ on a typical camerabag, will not be noticed by anybody. ...And that's what they dropped a very important and usefull feature for! I'm sure this is still the influence of Hoya's mismanagement.
03-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #859
Veteran Member

THIS is what should have been released instead of the K-01.. DSLR prefered over SLT though..
I think Sony has started to really push it's way into the market very well lately.. but they have the money to do so.

DxOMark - Sony announces the SLT Alpha 57

This outclasses the K-5 on paper specs.. I wonder how it's AF and IQ is compared to the K-5.. still not sold on SLT though.

03-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #860

Ehhh - I have got a K-5. Very nice camera, but not full frame, is it?
I know I can get the 645D - but its' a bit expensive - and bulky.
Maybe I'll get it someday anyway :-9

Regards
Jens
03-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #861
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
THIS is what should have been released instead of the K-01..
Are you kidding? What's the point of a non-SLR camera that is larger than the K-5 and looks like an old DSLR (K10D ripoff design)?
03-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #862
Veteran Member

I'm not saying size wise... size is not a big deal, I'm saying sensor/features wise. Pentax's entry level DSLR's are plenty small, and I don't see that changing anytime soon..

03-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #863
Veteran Member

I'm not saying size wise... size is not a big deal, I'm saying sensor/features wise. Pentax's entry level DSLR's are plenty small, and I don't see that changing anytime soon..
Not feature wise either. The lack of moving mirror in the SLT is a missing feature. The stationary semi-transparant mirror degrades IQ.
03-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #864
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Not feature wise either. The lack of moving mirror in the SLT is a missing feature. The stationary semi-transparant mirror degrades IQ.
So you'd rather have no mirror and worse AF than the K-5.. I see... I'll take SLT and a half better AF system and decent viewfinder that would be usable on a bright sunny day over an LCD with live view only.
03-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #865
Veteran Member

So you'd rather have no mirror and worse AF than the K-5.. I see... I'll take SLT and a half better AF system and decent viewfinder that would be usable on a bright sunny day over an LCD with live view only.
That is NOT what I said. Not even close. I would prefer a bouncing mirror.

I would rather take a step forward, then a step backwards. The K-01 and the Sony SLT you mentioned, are both a step or two backwards.

On top of that, your logic is faulty. You claim the SLT you mentioned would have been a better move then the K-01, because of the lacking features. But the SLT lacks features too. Another Pentax miniatured low-end DSLR would have been a better move, in that respect.
03-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #866
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Another Pentax miniatured low-end DSLR would have been a better move, in that respect.
I really hope that's coming soon.
03-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #867
Veteran Member

I agree, a low end small DSLR would have been a better move.. as I stated, I'm not sold on SLT either.. but I do think that until sensor bases AF is better SLT is a slightly better option than mirrorless with no EVF... Not that I would spend a dime on either.
03-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #868
Veteran Member

I agree, a low end small DSLR would have been a better move.. as I stated, I'm not sold on SLT either.. but I do think that until sensor bases AF is better SLT is a slightly better option than mirrorless with no EVF... Not that I would spend a dime on either.
+1

I agree with this assessment. I hope Pentax is conservative enough to stick to regular DSLR OVF designs
03-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #869
Pentaxian

Dear Pentax,

thanks for the K100D. Great little camera, still going strong. I just had heaps of fun with it today. There were a lot of things right about this camera (no rubber doors, for example).

Hope you can knock one out of the park like this one again in the future.
03-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #870
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm sure whatever Pentax was working on was put on hold when Ricoh bought them from Hoya. And now Ricoh just about has to start from scratch to look over the plans & seeing how to blend the tech from both companies (Ricoh & Pentax) to something better in the DLSR market. Hopefully it doesn't take too long though.