Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #1036
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
Dear Pentax,

Please update the 17-70 so that we have a 'modern' normal zoom lens beneath the 16-50. It should be reasonably fast, have solid optics, and weather sealing. As there is no need for OS, it should be priced competitively with the third-party alternatives.

Make it happen.

Regards,
bullitt_60
Chances are that Sigma will be doing it and coming out with something in about the 18-20 to 70 range and have better than an f2.0 aperature. But imagine the size of the lens - the 24-70 f2.8 already has an 82mm front filter. Chances are the new Sigma will have a filter much larger than that. Yet, guess what - I'll bet Sigma is capable of doing it for less than 1k.

Wheras a new Pentax in that range will most likely cost 1600-1800 and also not offer that aperature

01-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #1037
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Chances are that Sigma will be doing it and coming out with something in about the 18-20 to 70 range and have better than an f2.0 aperature. But imagine the size of the lens - the 24-70 f2.8 already has an 82mm front filter. Chances are the new Sigma will have a filter much larger than that. Yet, guess what - I'll bet Sigma is capable of doing it for less than 1k.

Wheras a new Pentax in that range will most likely cost 1600-1800 and also not offer that aperature
My request was only to have Pentax update their lens to be competitive with the new Sigma 17-70 2.8-4. Typically, fast constant aperature zoom lenses are out of my price range. When I have to turn to a third party manufacturer, I would like it to be because of price and not performance.
01-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #1038
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would love a full frame with a 100% OVF, plus focus peaking, and it can be just as big/small as the new Canon 6D.
02-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #1039
Pentaxian

Dear Pentax,
If you restart your collaboration with Tokina, please keep your best lenses - * and Limiteds - as in-house products. Other systems should not have access to Limiteds, anyway.

02-01-2013, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #1040

Get Serious

Come on Pentax. Enough with the point and shoot cameras in rainbow colors ! Please make a real camera for serious photographers. The list of wants is long. The only thing stopping me from buying a Sony Alpha 99 is it does not use K mount lenses. Please make something competitive with this or the Nikon D-600.

Loyal Pentax user for the last 40 years.
02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #1041
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Bob Quote
Come on Pentax. Enough with the point and shoot cameras in rainbow colors ! Please make a real camera for serious photographers. The list of wants is long. The only thing stopping me from buying a Sony Alpha 99 is it does not use K mount lenses. Please make something competitive with this or the Nikon D-600.

Loyal Pentax user for the last 40 years.
The Sony Alpha 99 can use your K mount lenses just fine through a simple adapter.
02-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #1042

Pentax Lens on Sony Alph 99

I understand there is an adaptor. I also understand there is a major loss of functions. If you loose auto focus, auto aperature, auto shutter speed, they will be of little use to me. That is like using a screw mount lens on a K-5. It is possible, but not easily done. IF you know otherwise, please let me know. I am getting very tired of waiting on Pentax to deliver a new, competitive DSLR.
02-03-2013, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #1043
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Bob Quote
I understand there is an adaptor. I also understand there is a major loss of functions. If you loose auto focus, auto aperature, auto shutter speed, they will be of little use to me. That is like using a screw mount lens on a K-5. It is possible, but not easily done. IF you know otherwise, please let me know. I am getting very tired of waiting on Pentax to deliver a new, competitive DSLR.
Well, if you find using a screw mount lens on the K5 difficult, then I don't have any other options for you.

Pentax really is the only brand that makes using ancient lenses so easy. That's why I find it such a pity that there's no mirrorless Pentax system, to mount even more lenses.

02-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #1044
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius:
Pentax really is the only brand that makes using ancient lenses so easy. That's why I find it such a pity that there's no mirrorless Pentax system, to mount even more lenses.
Hear, hear!
02-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #1045
Pentaxian

Why would they support people buying non-Pentax lenses?
02-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #1046
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Why would they support people buying non-Pentax lenses?
Because they make their money by selling cameras. Like Pentax said themselves at the last Photokina, there is not much profit to be made from lenses.
02-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #1047
Pentaxian

They said that?
02-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #1048
Pentaxian

Dear Pentax,

you can probably not keep track of all interesting posts on this forum, so I'd like you to alert you to two very interesting posts by member falconeye, regarding

Summary: Make an FF DSLR with interchangeable viewfinder, including electronic viewfinder choices.

With an optical viewfinder, the camera is a regular DLSR.

With an electronic viewfinder, the camera can be used as a mirrorless, i.e., the mirror can be locked up permanently. This allows the use of very compact lenses, including retractable zooms.

As electronic viewfinder technology is still progressing, many people may not want to commit to current technology. By giving them the option of upgrading only the viewfinder to the latest technology, you giving them a great incentive to buy a camera with an electronic viewfinder option now.
02-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #1049

Dear Pentax, please add in the next firmware for K-5II/s the following features:
- picture comparison (this feature was in K-5)
- increased AF correction range. +/-10 is not enough in some cases (I have 7 lenses). +/- 20 would be excellent

This features are much more useful than LCD adjustment.
02-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #1050
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Dear Pentax,

you can probably not keep track of all interesting posts on this forum, so I'd like you to alert you to two very interesting posts by member falconeye, regarding

Summary: Make an FF DSLR with interchangeable viewfinder, including electronic viewfinder choices.

With an optical viewfinder, the camera is a regular DLSR.

With an electronic viewfinder, the camera can be used as a mirrorless, i.e., the mirror can be locked up permanently. This allows the use of very compact lenses, including retractable zooms.

As electronic viewfinder technology is still progressing, many people may not want to commit to current technology. By giving them the option of upgrading only the viewfinder to the latest technology, you giving them a great incentive to buy a camera with an electronic viewfinder option now.
This is a really very very cool and unique idea. And totally realistic too. It doesn't seem to be an engineering nightmare at all. However, this solution doesn't allow the use of any glass with exotic mounts with shorter registry distance. Getting rid of the mirror box would enable the use of M-mount glass for example.

Last edited by Clavius; 02-09-2013 at 03:34 AM.