Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #616
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Pentax .

Some criticize K-7 and other cameras for Dark Frame Subtraction (DFS) during extremely long exposures (1/2 hour and longer). Effectively, DFS shortens the night by half.

What if it were possible to pre-perform the DFS exposure say by opening the shutter for an hour and saving a special DFS image file every 10 minutes. Then, during the actual shoot the photographer wouldn't have to wait for DFS, but rather camera will take the ready image from the card. The pre-shoot DFS exposure could be an option from the camera menu that will greatly improve the usability of the camera. The regular DFS can be retained of course.

09-13-2010, 02:51 AM   #617
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
What if it were possible to pre-perform the DFS exposure say by opening the shutter for an hour and saving a special DFS image file every 10 minutes.
The idea about DFS is that the dark frame is taken under the same conditions (in particular sensor temperature and shutter speed) as the actual image. That's why it makes sense to always take the DF right before or after the actual image.

What you suggest often works as an approximation but you'd only need one DF, not a serious of six.
09-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #618

Photos: Gallery
Dear Pentax,

Please formally address the SDM issue. As a consumer I am reluctant to invest in current SDM lenses due to the negative feedback from a considerable number of users.
Releasing "SDM II" would effectively give the system a clean slate and would generate more sales to people like myself and current users who have experienced problems with the existing SDM technology.

Thanks.
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #619

Dear Pentax,

with your next firmware update I'll appriciate the following upgrades:
- remote-controlled continuous shooting (high speed)
- F/B Focus correction menu
- 90mm selectable in the SR menu when an old/manual lens is used

thank you

09-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #620
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noVICE Quote
Dear Pentax,

Please formally address the SDM issue. As a consumer I am reluctant to invest in current SDM lenses due to the negative feedback from a considerable number of users.
Releasing "SDM II" would effectively give the system a clean slate and would generate more sales to people like myself and current users who have experienced problems with the existing SDM technology.

Thanks.
Damn straight. I am not buying any SDM lenses until this happens.

QuoteOriginally posted by 512 Quote
Dear Pentax,

with your next firmware update I'll appriciate the following upgrades:
- remote-controlled continuous shooting (high speed)
- F/B Focus correction menu
- 90mm selectable in the SR menu when an old/manual lens is used

thank you
Which camera, they may want to know?
09-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #621

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

Which camera, they may want to know?
sorry, I forgot it: k-x
09-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #622

Dear Pentax,

Please publish a roadmap. Any kind of roadmap.

A long-time saleman at Keeble & Shuchat (a major camera retailer just south of San Francisco) told me today that K&S used to carry Pentax but "Pentax went bankrupt, then got bought out, and now they are only going to put out just one more camera before they leave the business." If that is typical of the perception out there, you have a real problem.

Also, add my voice to the list of people who need to turn off DFS. I take long exposures at night -- sometimes in the range of 4 to 7 minutes. It is unacceptable to have the camera turn into a brick while it attempts to eliminate noise. I do noise reduction in post-processing.

Bob
(Worried about DFS when I upgrade from my K10D)

09-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #623
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Pentax, please make the file numbers able to go to more than 8 characters. I love being able to dictate what the first 4 characters are going to be, but then when the image number rolls over to 9999, why can't the file name be extended by 1 character so I can have image 10000? Computers these days are not constrained by the 8.3 file naming system.

I am now having to rename all my new images as I have clocked over 9999 images.

This is easily fixable for older cameras in firmware updates by the way - hint hint.

Get the free Flexible Renamer v8.2 and rename IMGP to the YYMMDD format and never worry about duplicate file names.
09-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #624
Veteran Member

buttons that light up so so you can see what your doing at night. The most important being the mode dial!

This could be configured by the menu system. and could work much like the lighting of the top panel display. It could be turned off by the user aswell.
09-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #625
Veteran Member

Dear Pentax,
I would love to have articulate LCD monitor implemented on your DSLR line .
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #626
Veteran Member

Please pentax give us k-7 and k-5 users manual video controls.

I want to set or limit my iso and shutter speeds for visual effects.

I don't care about af in video!!!!
09-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #627
Veteran Member

PLEASE allow us to control the top LCD illumination in our cameras, and allow it to be activated like the K20D
09-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE provide 12 bit RAW option on the K-5
09-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #629
m8o
Veteran Member

My Dearest Pentax,

Thank You.

Best Regards,
-steve

09-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #630
Pentaxian

Dear Pentax,

Seeing as you seem unwilling or unable to have the SR permanently on in some manner so we don't have to wait the half second and miss the shot, how about at least making it activate when we press the AF button? Thta' really just like the shutter button half press isn't it? Please?