Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #1201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
With the K-3 I think you can reassign the Fx button as a SR toggle switch.
That would be great!

10-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #1202
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be awesome!

Dear Pentax - please offer that as a firmware upgrade for the K-5!
10-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #1203

Where's the 24mm f2,8 (35mm equivalent on FF)?

R
10-22-2013, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #1204
Veteran Member

Where's ANY prime between 21 and 31?

I think Pentax realizes (especially with the (vaporware?)) FF camera coming out, that the area between those two primes is too large.

10-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #1205
Pentaxian

Indeed you can (just checked the manual)!
12-07-2013, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #1206

Aps-c

Dear Pentax or a sensor manufacturer it may concern,

Stop producing APS-C sensors that are stagnant (or worse) in terms of all-around performance simply to accommodate more pixels. I don't care about having 24 megapixels. In fact, 6 to 10 megapixels would be more enough for just about everything I shoot. That would allow me to make the occasional 10 X 14 print, which I rarely do. Otherwise, I am viewing and reviewing, sharing, etc., the vast majority of my pictures on a monitor, as I suspect 95%+ of shooters are, which means that even 6 to 10 MPs is way too much already! A 32 inch 1080p screen at a few feet away looks pretty darn sharp, and that's just 2 MP.

Why can't a sensor manufacturer make an APS-C sensor proportional to a full-frame offering, such that we can have "full frame" low light capability with an APS-C number of pixels?

In other words, please release a 10 MP "K3-L" that would deliver outstanding all around low light performance. Oh, and please also tinker with the colour settings in your software so that skin tones look good, too. Skin tones look dreadful on Pentax compared to Nikon.

Many thanks in advance.
12-07-2013, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #1207
Veteran Member

Please copy the one thing that Nikon hasn't done wrong with the Df and sell the FF-Body (if it ever arrives) with a 50mm kit lens (DFA 50/1.2 Limited DC WR ?)

12-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #1208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WideOpen Quote
In other words, please release a 10 MP "K3-L" that would deliver outstanding all around low light performance. Oh, and please also tinker with the colour settings in your software so that skin tones look good, too. Skin tones look dreadful on Pentax compared to Nikon.
Was this a joke? I mean, do you think Pentax just decides "we should give them really bad low light performance! this will sell well! they dont deserve better anyway!"?
The colour settings.. are you shooting jpeg or raw? If you shoot jpeg, the camera interprets the raw information and turns it into an image. So you need to set the jpeg engine to "portrait". If you shoot raw, then you need to do the colour calibration yourself (or rather, the software does it). I really cannot imagine that Pentax cameras are just "missing" the "good skin tone" pixels. Its the photographer who does that, using light, lenses, and software.
12-07-2013, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #1209

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Was this a joke? I mean, do you think Pentax just decides "we should give them really bad low light performance! this will sell well! they dont deserve better anyway!"?
The colour settings.. are you shooting jpeg or raw? If you shoot jpeg, the camera interprets the raw information and turns it into an image. So you need to set the jpeg engine to "portrait". If you shoot raw, then you need to do the colour calibration yourself (or rather, the software does it). I really cannot imagine that Pentax cameras are just "missing" the "good skin tone" pixels. Its the photographer who does that, using light, lenses, and software.
No, this is not a joke.

On the sensor point, image quality would have been better had they stuck with the 16 MP Sony sensor of K5, etc., fame. Clearly, all things being equal, more pixels in a smaller space mean worse noise. So I wish they would not get caught up in the MP race and stick to what matters to (I suspect) the vast majority of users.

On the colour front, I shoot both RAW and Jpeg depending on the circumstances. I usually set WB manually using a grey card. I don't think Pentax renders skin tones very well based on their software presets. I don't want to spend my time screwing around in Photoshop screwing around with colours. For god's sake, I took a portrait of a colleague the other day with their brother's old Nikon D40. With default settings and no adjustments and no fuss, the pictures just looked great. That's what I mean.

Take it easy Pentax apologists.
12-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #1210
Veteran Member

So I wish they would not get caught up in the MP race and stick to what matters to (I suspect) the vast majority of users.
Thats a valid point, I agree. But unfortunately Pentax isn't making the sensor. Thus they depend on the industry and they cannot afford to go counter. And there don't really seem to be very big improvements in sensor technology, apart from incrementally better noise performance. Bit depth and DR hasnt changed much in the past years. MP is apparently the easier thing to improve and market.

About the portraiture.. well I dunno, Ive seen plenty of great portraits taken with Pentax gear. I concede that its possible that the Nikon has a better jpeg engine, but I think the raw data in the Pentax and a similarly priced DSLR of another brand should be in the same ballpark. Processing is very important, even though it is time consuming. I meant no offense by my comment, just really didn't get where you were coming from.
12-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #1211
Veteran Member

all things being equal, more pixels in a smaller space mean worse noise.
I post-process my pics. More pixels mean more cropping ability. The downside is larger files.
01-05-2014, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #1212
Pentaxian

Apodisation Simulator

Dear Pentax,

please consider an "Apodisation Simulator" by changing the f-ratio during an exposure.

Normally apodisation -- in order to achieve creamy bokeh -- is achieved by circular graduated density filters in the lens (see the 135 f/2.8 T/4.5 STF lens).

This effect can however be simulated by closing in the aperture during an exposure.
01-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #1213

I like the way one can check battery life/capacity on a Canon 7d:

R

Last edited by Iberia; 01-05-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: rephrased for clarity
01-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #1214

Please add quick shift mechanism in to the next body. That would convert all our FA and F lenses to quick shift.
01-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #1215
Forum Member

Dear Pentax. Please update firmware for K-3 so that it can have choice to shoot with smaller versions of RAW files. Nikons have smaller bitrate. Canon 7D can take 10 MP raw files, option for losless or lossy compression would be nice too. I must say I wasn't too happy that k-3 raw files take 30 MB. Those from my K-5 ar ebig enough for me.
I don't think that imrovement in resolution (only at certain apertures and certain lenses) is really worth increasing file size that much. Of course some people may think different.
I would just like to have the liberty of taking smaller raw files (if that would mean longer bursts that would be a plus too!)