Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by expatCanuck Quote
What I miss from my Nikon film SLR shooting days are reasonably fast primes (f2 or less) that aren't inordinately expensive (say, $400 or less).

Specifically, I miss my 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.4.

Well, Zeiss makes a fair number of excellent primes for the k-mount but they're very pricey. :-(

I have the Pentax FA 35 f/2 AL. I like it (see attached photo). But to tell the truth, aside from the fact that the 35 is one stop faster, I'm not sure it's any better than the 35mm spot on the Pentax 16-45 f/4.

Will

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
07-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

I have the Pentax FA 35 f/2 AL. I like it (see attached photo). But to tell the truth, aside from the fact that the 35 is one stop faster, I'm not sure it's any better than the 35mm spot on the Pentax 16-45 f/4.

Will
you mean _2_ stops...
07-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
you mean _2_ stops...
Right - two stops. Thanks for correcting that.

But the funny thing is, difference between 2 and 4 with the K20D isn't such a huge deal. I used to take a Sigma f/2.8 lens to weddings and graduations and such but I don't like the results as much as the results I get from the Pentax 16-45. So I shoot a lot at f/4, up the ISO, and the results are surprisingly good. I lose a stop going from f/2.8 to 4, but make it up in the body because the K20D's high ISO performance is about one stop better than the K10D's.*

As for the 35 f/2, I would like to be able to go wider occasionally. I tried using this lens to shoot indoor volleyball. I was able to increase my shutter speed a bit. But the loss of the zoom capability was too much to bear. So I don't use the 35 very often.

Will

*I hasten to add - in case anybody thinks I'm just nuts - that other things being equal I'd rather have faster lenses and I don't much want to buy anything that isn't f/2.8 or faster these days. But I've already got the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 and can't afford to buy the new Pentax DA* counterpart, so for the moment I'm stuck.
07-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
But the funny thing is, difference between 2 and 4 with the K20D isn't such a huge deal.
well, well... take 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 AL II @ 35mm/f8... the same 2 stops, and @ 35mm/f8 it might not be a huge deal vs 16-45

07-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #95

I have had my K20 for about one month and enjoy it immensely. the biggest quirk for me has to do with live view. It would be nice to have a function for live view to show the effects of exposure rather than having little images taken. A live exposure view would be more handy than taking a series of exposure preview images. I would think/hope this could be an easy firmware up grade similar to the new 1.01.

I also find it strange that you can't see the shutter speed displayed along with the aperture or for that matter change them during live view.

I bought a digital SLR for the optical view finder but have occasions where the LCD screen is handy. Have you ever looked at the sun through an optical view finder with a 200mm lens? can you still see properly? Burnt retinas can be avoided using the LCD. I find this very handy for taking sunsets with the sun still above the horizon.
07-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
How bout bluetooth in the camera or grip so we can control it remotely with our bluetooth phones!
That's actually quite a good idea
07-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like a custom menu function that lets you put in your name so that the copyright field of the EXIF data would be filled in at the time the shot is taken. This would greatly enhance image security. And it would save a post processing step for those of us who trouble with it...

It'd be nice to be able to put in other pertanent data as well but I'd be happy with that one thing.

07-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #98
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Coming from the film era just a year ago (still owning a pair of MZ-series bodies), I always valued how small and light the Pentax film bodies were - which was also one of the primary reasons why I went Pentax back then (I never liked brick-style cameras obviosuly cherished by some).

When going digital via the K10d, among my first impressions when unpacking the thing was that it is fairly large and quite heavy - and although a year into using it I am perfectly happy with its function & control setup, I never got quite used to the idea that it really may be just slightly beyond the margin of too big and too heavy for me - sorry.

Last week I bought the 200d as a second body (a little out of despair), and though I like its form and size, I was generally unimpressed by some of its details - mainly controlwise.

So Pentax please - stick with your own tradition and make us a small quality body, one that combines the style of controls of the K*0 series AND the form/size factor of the K200 (or MZ-S, or *ist D for that matter) - more specifically:

K200+
+ definitely pentaprism (the whole idea of pentamirror in (d)slrs is really a shame)
+ larger buffer & faster processor (I couldnīt believe by how much faster EVERYTHING went in my K10d compared to K200)
+ cmos sensor with usable ISO3200(6400?) (anything between 12 to 14 mpix will do)
+ backlit display when shooting in those high ISO/low light conditions

Direct on body dials/switches (as opposed to in-menu options) for:
+ exposure mode selection (just like in the K10/20, or as last seen on the *stD)
+ bracketing selection (just like in the K10/20)
+ iso selection (just like in the K10/20 will do)
+ perhaps af point selection (just like in the K10/20 will do)
+ af-c/s mode selection (K10/20 or as last seen on the *stD)
- perhaps doing away with K200's scenic modes?

= still remaining roughly the size and weight of the K200d (or *st D) = my ideal camera and my shortlist of wishes for the next generation of the K*00 series - Then you can do to the K*0 series whatever you want, and perhaps leave the downgraded specs to the new rumored entry-level K*000 body.

Should this little dream become reality next year, count me in for yet another Pentax digital body, and sooner than later at that...

Last edited by nanao.; 08-26-2008 at 06:19 PM.
07-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #99
Veteran Member

did we ask for new rebates already ?
07-30-2008, 03:46 AM   #100

Dear pentax

Tamron announces 15x zoom lens: Digital Photography Review

in Pentax K mount, without VC, with Quickshift

thanks

-Nakey
08-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #101

Dear Pentax,

Please include a fully-functional KAF2 mount on the next DSLR! We want to use our great older lenses with full functionality! The crippled mount seriously degrades one of your great selling points--namely, backwards compatibility!

Your loyal customer and fan,
Stevopedia
08-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #102

This in a modern version would be awesome:

08-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #103
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with Richard,
More workable selection of good fast primes.
There's a lot of attention on DA* zooms, but one would need to go back to the FA ltds to get primes in the wide to normal range. Perhaps handy for when that FF cam comes on board, but for the APS-C cams, the FA ltds get a little long.
08-08-2008, 12:07 AM   #104
Forum Member

I will like:
  • Build-in GPS: I know that Pentax make professional GPS-stuff, so why not in the cams?
  • Professional compact camera with an big sensor with super build en photo quality.
  • More usefull FF PRO-lenses.
  • Quicker AF and bigger photo buffer.
  • 645D (must I say more?)
  • Triple-slot SDHC
  • Solar charger (ideal for primitive travel)
  • Standard with KatzEye split focus screen or with switch in camera for switching focus screen, so that you do not have to open your camera for changing it.
08-08-2008, 12:51 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by AnoLife Quote
I will like:
  • 645D (must I say more?)
If this ever happens a lot of landscape photoghraphers wil switch to Pentax...