Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
For whatever models Ricoh decides. I have no illusions about us having any say in it. While I hope they would add more functionality at least for the latest top tier model via firmware upgrades, they might just do it for future models..
True. It seems the general consensus is that the K-1 at least will not be replaced for awhile, so one would hope there could be some more significant firmware updates on it than has been common in past models.

Regarding #32 again: I think that your description is more like the lens being stopped-down all the time in Av (?), while my idea is more like stop-down metering occurring on the half-shutter press in an Av-like mode. It might be worth noting the different approaches in the list.

Regarding #36: The underexposure highlighting is definitely gone. I think it was gone as early as the K-3. See my post here. This is something I would like to see come back.

Other ideas I like: 3, 14, 16, 22, 30, 31, 34, 40, 45, 47, 64.

One idea from the K-1 specific firmware thread that I don't see in this list: Allow customization of which buttons are locked by the lock button. On the K-1 there are two button groups to choose from. This update would add the ability to make a user defined list of buttons to lock, with some default groups defined.

Another idea from the K-1 thread: Get the Dust Alert function back.

Regarding #43: Isn't the granularity of the distance info limited by the info the lens produces? I am not sure an update to the body would be able to change this.

Regarding #44: That would be the update to end all updates! Probably not a reasonable expectation since I don't think Ricoh will give-up that level of control.

06-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Bringing the dust alert funktion back would be excellent.
06-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. Even a fully mnauly lens without A position in Av Mode is always shot wide open even with the aperture ring set at F22.
That would just require the camera to keep the lens stopped down, right? I have a feeling this can't/won't be done because turning the aperture ring while the actuator is on may damage it.

The point is, they removed the shadow alert, which was there on a K-5. Go find it on your K-1.
Interesting- I never noticed that (thought it was just the wording). Thankfully you'll virtually never struggle with shadow recovery at lower ISOs these days, maybe that's why they took it out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh, no! I didn't find this thread before it was to late to get my suggestion into the survey. Anyway, here it is:

In short: Customable short list of focal lengths in the input focal length menu

Explanation: Its a pain rolling through a list of 34 focal lengths when I only have a few manual lenses choose between (in my case 8, 50, 300, 420). The jumps are quite coarse and jumping over some popular manual focal lengths. This part of the menu could be changed completely to a blank short list where the user dials in a specific focal length to start using or press a button to add it to the short list. The next time he can choose from his own short list or dial in another FL in detail. The 3 digit dial dialog already exists in the interval shooting - number of shots so it should be easy to access for this purpose. I also want support for longer focal lengths then 800mm (in my case 840), even if SR is less effective there.

Last edited by Simen1; 06-06-2016 at 02:24 PM.
06-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Oh, no! I didn't find this thread before it was to late to get my suggestion into the survey. Anyway, here it is:

In short: Customable short list of focal lengths in the input focal length menu

Explanation: Its a pain rolling through a list of 34 focal lengths when I only have a few manual lenses choose between (in my case 8, 50, 300, 420). The jumps are quite coarse and jumping over some popular manual focal lengths. This part of the menu could be changed completely to a blank short list where the user dials in a specific focal length to start using or press a button to add it to the short list. The next time he can choose from his own short list or dial in another FL in detail. The 3 digit dial dialog already exists in the interval shooting - number of shots so it should be easy to access for this purpose. I also want support for longer focal lengths then 800mm (in my case 840), even if SR is less effective there.
I'm not sure if it's the same on others, but on my K-3 there is a list on the left that puts the most recently used focal lengths on top. You can roll the rear thumb dial to go through in standard numerical sequence, or use the 4-way directional buttons to move left then up or down to select from the recent list. This list is updated each time you input the length, so it's really useful for a zoom since you can easily switch between 3 or 4 intermediate settings as you change your focal length. (Unused FL's stay in the list too, they just end up at the bottom.)
06-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bring back the ability to use Catch-In-Focus with the back AF button
06-14-2016, 01:48 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Expand ISO to 80 or even 50 on k3/k3II

Hello to everyone there, this is my first post.

I“ve read that Pentax k3II“s sensor is the same as the one that it is on other cameras that have an extend ISO to 50 or 80 so i think it wouldnt be too hard to do the same on the k3/k3II.

These cameras are in a semiprofesional range so i think this feature is important to have in the k3/k3II to make long exposures more effectively.

Also, another improvement is the pixel shift techonology which can be used to take larger images, as Olympus does on some cameras, moving the sensor during the exposure to get more pixels.

Pentax should answer to this kind of requests because the market competitivity is very tight (Canon has the Magic Lantern for example, Sony is fastly improving with their mirrorless cameras) therefore giving the best features to their users should be a priority for them, otherwise, many Pentaxians could choose to change their equipment and go to other brands.

06-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokarrako Quote
Also, another improvement is the pixel shift techonology which can be used to take larger images, as Olympus does on some cameras, moving the sensor during the exposure to get more pixels.
First! Hello and welcome!!

As far as I know, Pentax has written, that they found no improvement in the quality of pictures, by doing an half pixel shift (Olympus 8 times half a pixel). In their opinion It only increases the Pixelcount. Therefore they decided, to keep the quality of the sensor and improve the color response. The way they did it. improves the "resolution" to a real 36 Mpix (similar to the foveon Sensor, but with better color sensivity).
06-14-2016, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Add the ability to manually enter the aperture for K/M lenses, so it matches what's on the aperture ring. This means:

a. the camera can automatically adjust exposure based on wide-open metering adjusted by input aperture (i.e. no green button metering required); and
b. we can have aperture information embedded in our EXIF info.
06-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mokarrako Quote
Expand ISO to 80 or even 50 on k3/k3II
I am for this one. We can go to 3 billion ISO to do a perfect exposure by star light, but what about a SLOW shutter speed for landscapes? GO to ISO 25 if possible!

I also like No. 33. I see me shooting one card, then the next, but what if I want to shoot one subject (landscapes) and then shoot macro and not have to look through all of my landscape images to get to my macro ones?

And to answer the question, "what makes you think these are easy to implement", the SW engineers did a good job with the K-1 but they only have so much time if the firmware is ever going to get finished so the systems can ship! Adding a few along the way, the easiest first, would be nice in upcoming updates! Besides, everyone knows programming is easy.... (no, I am not a programmer :0).

Regards,
09-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #26
Forum Member

And what about to the use of a minimum shutter speed in Av mode? it is very useful. It will be a very good improvment
09-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Live view display gain feature like Sony's Bright Monitoring. Drop the FPS to get more brightness, crank it up and give at least possibility to compose in darkness. Only real nuisance so far in night shooting is to not see what is in the view. Yet it is possible to do. Canon users enjoy the same in form of magic lantern (Display Gain up to +6EV) and Nikon implemented this in D810A.

Other feature usable with PS would be automation which first fires of PS frame and then the same without PS. It is easy to paint the detail in place in post.

Third feature which was suggested above is to automate panorama with maximum dimensions allowed by sensor shifting. Intermediate results should be saved if nothing else.
09-09-2016, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Add the ability to manually enter the aperture for K/M lenses, so it matches what's on the aperture ring. This means:

a. the camera can automatically adjust exposure based on wide-open metering adjusted by input aperture (i.e. no green button metering required); and
b. we can have aperture information embedded in our EXIF info.
Yes, this would be a really nice feature. Another one which would be nice: in addition to the focal length menu for manual lenses, add an option to fill in lens details. This would allow a preset list of allowable aperture values for the lens, and let the camera write the correct lens name in the EXIF.
09-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nono Quote
Yes, this would be a really nice feature.

Thanks.

This is what I would put on my K-1's custom function dial if it was available.
09-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I realized a big change that would help. Since everything else is being saved to the EXIF file, how about a NOTES section and a keyboard routine so an image can be tagged with some variable information and have it right with the image forever! How great would that be for news photographers, street photographers, even landscape photographers. We can record the global position with GPS, but can't give the image a title yet? OH, and to make it even better, a release form that can be signed with a touch screen on the back of the camera! (OK, this might be going a bit far, but it would be nice)!

Regards,