Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #91
Veteran Member

It is just the way as it is described by pentax. The camera takes pictures at full speed until the Buffer is full - individual to camera Type K5 K3 K1 after that the speed reduces to a much slower rate.
The writing to the card starts immediately with the first frame, when the buffer is full the camera continues writing to card and stops firing until there is enough memory space in the camera for the next picture, than takes the next picture until the card is full.
The time to the next picture is detrmined by the write speed to the card (up to maximum 35 MB/sex for a K3 and 25MB/sec K5 and K1) and the size of the pictures (15, 24, 34 Megapixel 20/30/45 Megabyte per picture) K-5 roundabout 1 second, K-3 1 second K1 roundabout 1.5-2 seconds

The break point is also determined by what you are writing to the card - jpg, jpg, jpg+raw camera intern corrections on/off -

I don't think that there is any space for improvement, due to the HW problem of slow writing to the cards.

11-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Nowadays DSLRs are really small computers and much of their functionality is software - firmware.

I personally believe that Pentax Ricoh has a very good opportunity to enchant their customers and prospective buyers by adding more options and features to firmware, since while software engineering is not free, many items are quite modest changes and seem to be much, much cheaper than full scale hardware changes.

Update:
Here is a fresh survey/poll to find out which option has the most fans behind them: Firmware Upgrade Feature Requests based on 2016 Status of Pentax DSLRs
And here are the current results: https://www.murvey.com/report?57ebb18722f26fe60195ab36&key=weEaR

So first of all here is my own little feature request list:

Exposure modes and options:
  • a. aperture bracketing: offer aperture bracketing mode (in Tv mode with fixed ISO the brightness level still changes. We want same exposre overall, just with different apertures)
  • b. focus bracketing: offer focus bracketing mode (n pictures, m size focus advance steps); maybe even add JPG focus stacking
  • c. option to allow choosing any shutter speed when in M mode with flash or flash trigger attached on hot shoe; maybe display warning for noobs
  • d. extended bracketing options: bring back the extended bracketing options from the K-5 series
  • e. block shutter if SR is not ready yet: allow option to block shutter if SR is not ready yet
  • f. maximum shutter time in AutoISO: provide option to choose maximum shutter time in AutoISO
  • g. set EV offset for AutoISO: provide option to set EV offset for AutoISO (currently the low and high curves represent +1 EV and -1 EV shutter speeds; but it should be possible to set this offset manually in 0.5 EV steps between 0 and 5; with an SR which provides a 3 EV improvement to handheld shots it makes sense to offer something like this)
  • h. mirror up on 10sec timer: allow option to have mirror up on 10sec timer just as it is on 2sec timer (yes, mirror up is there, but it would be more convenient if it was built into 10 sec timer).
  • i. manual selection of seconds for self timer: allow manual selection of seconds for self timer (with auto mirror up) instead of fixed 2 and 10.
  • j. multiexposure to use a mode "dark"
  • k. maximum of 7 or even 9 instead of only 5 bracketing shots.
  • l. increase maximum possible steps for bracketing from +/- 2 to +/- 3
  • m. manual mode to go beyond 30 second shutter. Maybe add 45sec, 1min, 1.5min, 2min, 3min, 5min, 10min. Yes, we know there is bulb mode, but that requires external watch. (now covered in fw v1.40)
  • n. astrotracer with interval shooting (as long as total duration is shorter than 5 min astrotracer capability); as next step to stacking of results in camera.
  • n2. full electronic shutter, especially for intervall shooting, to save lifetime of shutter: this actually happens for shots 2 and 3 of a pixelshift image, so why not offer it standalone?

Raw:
  • o. three separate DNG files for an HDR: option to allow saving three separate DNG files for an HDR instead of one combined
  • p. 12bit versus 14bit RAWs option
  • p2 smaller raw for square crop: not only metadata crop, but actual file reduction

Metering:

• q. advanced matrix metering: allow advanced matrix metering variants which do to target 18% grey but a ETTR logic with user choice of maximum % of pixels to clip in highlights. Default should be 1% and other options should include 0%, 0,1%, 0,25%, 0,5%, 1%, 2%, 5%. Suboption to define this overall or by RGB channel.

Autofocus:

• r. AF-Correction for Zoom lenses in 3 steps: allow AF-Correction for Zoom lenses in 3 step (close/medium distances/far) and for different focal lengths for zooms.
  • s. keep autofocus points and grid in the K-1 type viewfinder illuminated in red all the time (especially for dark environments where black is no good) option
  • t. software-focus-limiter: allow software-focus-limiter for macro lenses
  • u. more customization of the autofocus in AF.C to include (reference the options in a Canon 5D3)
    • Accelerate/Decelerate Tracking: acceleration of adjusting focus (how quickly focus will be adjusted from near to far): see Making the most of Canon's new autofocus - 5Dmk3 and 1D
    • AF Point Auto Switching f ollowing/tracking of AF points when the subject is being handed over from one AF point to another see Making the most of Canon's new autofocus - 5Dmk3 and 1DX
  • x. automated support for AF adjustments. The camera could shoot automated picture series of 21 pictures, each one with a plus one adjustement starting from -10 up to +10. User could select how many shots to be fired at one stage (e.g. 1-10 shots each). The camera should also automatically unfocus to one extreme position after each shot. This is what users today do and it is a pain to do manually.
  • y. switch AF drive between SDM and screwdrive: allow user to switch AF drive between SDM and screwdrive for SDM lenses
  • z. drive AF to target hyperfocal distance option (yes, this would require the camera to calculate subject distance a little bit more precise.
  • aa. automatically tilt the selected AF point depending on landscape/portrait orientation of the camera
  • aa2. extended autofocus adjustements to -20/+20

Video:

• bb. choose video SR between software SR and hardware SR: allow user to switch video SR between software SR and hardware SR (like K-5); yes fully understanding that this records SR noise; maybe display a warning for the noobs
  • cc. Capture options: MJPEG/.avi and AVC/.mp4: allow user to choose between MJPEG/.avi and AVC/.mp4 video formats
  • ee. video bitrates: allow user to choose one of three video bitrates
  • ff. focus peaking during video: allow focus peaking during video capture (not only before)
  • gg. microphone input level control during video: allow microphone input level control during video (not only before)
  • hh. raw video streaming
  • ii. magnification during video recording (full screen or smaller picture in picture)

Historic and manual lenses:

• jj. allow non-open-aperture-metering with non-A-lenses, so that using them in Av-mode does not require pressing the green button any longer
  • kk. Customable short list of focal lengths in the input focal length menu
  • ll. manually enter the aperture for K/M lenses, so it matches what's on the aperture ring

Usability / Ergonomics:

• mm. two sets of User modes: allow RAW/Fx button to toggle between two sets of User modes switchable from the mode dial (adding a second set U4, U5 and U6)
  • nn. switch between SD cards to write using button: allow user to switch between SD cards to write onto via press of a button (configurable button, at least Fx-button).
  • oo. Fx-button to completely/quickly turn on/off the backside display: allow user to switch off info intermediary menu step or alternatively allow an Fx-button to completely turn on/off the backside display. Today it is three clicks.
  • pp. More options for the Fx buttons
  • qq. all camera settings to be saved by the user to a xml/txt file stored on the SD card and to load/import it later.
  • rr. Don't exit live view when accessing the Control Panel. Seriously, I feel sorry for my poor mirror when it has to go up and down just for a small settings change.
  • ss. configure green button more flexibly than today, similar to Fx buttons
  • tt. Catch-In-Focus with the back AF button
  • uu. user to calibrate electronic level: provide option for user to calibrate electronic level if needed
  • uu2. option to name folders and image files to start with date of shooting. Dates should allow for selection of a chosen format (e.g. YYYY-MM-DD or just YY-MM or MM-DD, or in the case of files, YYYY-MM-DD-hhmmss)

Viewing / Displaying / Live View:

• vv. overlay chosen focus point when viewing: option to display chosen focus point as overlay to photo playback on display and immediately center magnification view on this. We want to see over which part of the subject the focus point was (not just which one was chosen).
  • ww. two picture synopsis: bring back the two picture synopsis from the K-5I
  • xx. underexposure clipping: bring back the underexposure clipping display / zebras from the K-5
  • yy. display timer in large on backside display: option to display timer in large on backside display for both self-timer modes, interval shooting and exposure times beyond 1 sec
  • zz. RAW histogram: option to display RAW histogram instead of JPG histogram
  • aaa. zoom in to used focus point: provide option to zoom in to focus point chosen in display, not always middle of picture
  • bbb. allow diagonal scrolling again (like K-3) in view mode
  • ccc. LV display gain for very dark environments option
  • ddd. dark red color scheme for the backside display for night time shooting (now covered in fw v1.40)
  • eee. focus peaking color: allow user to choose focus peaking color (now: white); red, yellow, green, blue
  • fff. keep liveview magnification active once the shutter is pressed option (currently it jumps back out of magnification)
  • ggg. Live bulb like Olympus has
  • hhh. Allow CDAF operation on a magnified live view image
  • iii. display ETTR headroom: option to display ETTR headroom on backside display (that is how much more you could expose the correct exposed picture without clipping to white; this picture would then be overexposed but could be corrected in post processing; based on RAW histogram)
  • jjj. Option to keep the status screen on when half-pressing (later they could add an eye sensor) and the reverse as well: turn of status screen completely until a backside button is pressed.
  • kkk. display declination and right ascension in AstroTracer mode

Flash:

• lll. built-in flash trigger wirelessly off camera flashes in PTTL HSS: option to have the built-in flash trigger wirelessly off camera flashes in PTTL HSS (not do HSS itself, but trigger the other one into HSS)
  • mmm. activate center flash hotshoe pin HSS mode / shutter times: option to activate center flash hotshoe pin HSS mode / shutter times in addition to side pins (today beyond snyc time the center pin does not trigger anything) and regradless of recognizing an HSS capable flash); may display a noob warning
  • nnn. limit/set longest shutter time when using slow sync: allow user to limit/set longest shutter time when using slow sync flash mode (currently goes up without limits)

Pixel Shift:

• ooo. setting a time delay between the four pixelshift images to allow flash usage (to be set in 0.25 second steps; between 0 and 6 seconds) and activate the center pin on the flash hotshoe for pixelshift.

Miscellaneous:

• ppp. improved focus distance data in the metadata / exifs
  • qqq. Open source API for firmware
  • rrr. STF-simulator: More creamy bokeh through dynamic aperture movement
  • sss. dust alert function brought back
  • ttt. Catch In Focus work with modern lenses that don't have an AF/MF switch.
  • uuu. lens identification into the standard exif field "exif:LensModel" writing
  • vvv. enter text notes for an image and put these into exif option

Do you have any more suggestions? I can add them to this intro post later to have a complete set.

Remember: Nothing which requires changes hardware. Nothing which sounds like a complete overhaul. Nothing about external software/apps. Stay realistic. Be positive and constructive. No whining.

Not sure, if it is covered in this list or not since I neve used the green button with my non-A 50mm F1.2 lens. I did the hack by shortening the A-pin. It works and now I use focus confirmation with any lens, even I can set the aperture for my 50mm lens. Just by setting lens to F22. If using other lens, the selector on camera must stay on F2.8. There is some compensation need, but probably due to third party focusing screen. Not sure. It would be nice to get the same just by clikcing in menu like by this hack. The shortened pin is the third counterclockwise in the line, different from others. I am shooting almost only in AV mode. For me it is very important issue.
Another thing would be fine If I could select different focusing point using such lens. Even if their number is reduced. There are probably some technical reasons not clear to me.

Thanks.
I have K-5 camera and from yesterday also the K-1. Great piece!
11-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #93
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Make it easier to identify pixelshift images: My suggestion would be to give pixelshifted images a file name appendix. For example _IMGP0001_PXS.
11-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Make it easier to identify pixelshift images: My suggestion would be to give pixelshifted images a file name appendix. For example _IMGP0001_PXS.
Filenames are constricted by the DCF standard:

"Design rule for Camera File system (DCF) is a JEITA specification (number CP-3461) which defines a file system for digital cameras, including the directory structure, file naming method, character set, file format, and metadata format. It is currently the de facto industry standard for digital still cameras."

Design rule for Camera File system - Wikipedia
JEITA / JEITA Standards / AV&IT Technology Standardization / Digital Cameras

11-19-2016, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #95

For me, make the "composition adjustment bracketing" mentioned in the thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/331661-composition-adjust-help.html Especially that the composition adjustment function is somewhat buggy in the K-3 (need to switch LV off and on each time) and it has not been fixed yet (in the K-1), as far as I know.
01-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Original Poster
added some more items in OP
02-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only irritation I have with my K-1 after all this time is the annoying requirement to format SD cards one at a time. Please add a menu choice to allow us to format both cards with one click in the next firmware adjustment please! :-)

02-18-2017, 01:42 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Please add the KP firmware improvements to the K1
* both bracketing modes drive bracketing, DOF bracketing
* Focus peeking (please add selectable marker color to both)
* full functioning elektronik shutter
02-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Please add the KP firmware improvements to the K1
* both bracketing modes drive bracketing, DOF bracketing
* Focus peeking (please add selectable marker color to both)
* full functioning elektronik shutter
* The same high ISO noise cancelling in the jpeg processing.
02-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by krsto Quote
For me, make the "composition adjustment bracketing" mentioned in the thread Composition Adjust Help - PentaxForums.com Especially that the composition adjustment function is somewhat buggy in the K-3 (need to switch LV off and on each time) and it has not been fixed yet (in the K-1), as far as I know.
I have this same problem, set LV take image, quit LV, set LV take image... Will be great an option to make this 31Mpx (convined with PixelShift, HUGE RESOLUTION!) image on camera automatically, not in photoshop.

I hope all these improvements / options appear in more cameras in addition to the K1, or that Pentax not only use it for future models.

Has anyone contacted Pentax to communicate the existence of the thread?

Last edited by mokarrako; 02-18-2017 at 08:57 AM.
02-19-2017, 05:11 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I added the recent additions to the intro post.
02-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by mokarrako Quote
31Mpx (convined with PixelShift, HUGE RESOLUTION!) image on camera automatically
Let's not get crazy here. I would ask them to add this as a super easy to implement feature, very few lines of code need to be added or modified (unless their code is a total mess that is better not to touch, but this is not the case, most likely, as they did upgrade K-3 once that way, with a AA bracketing option). In the firmware that has been released to the market, modifications are expensive.

Those images are super easy to stitch manually, provided the camera does not move (which is super difficult if you have to switch between LV each time), especially that the photographed object doesn't have to be all still.

By the way, in K-3 it would actually be over 32 Mpx (roughly 4768 x 6784, 7/10 ratio), quite a nice picture. And still in frame of virtually all of the APS-C lenses.
02-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by krsto Quote
Let's not get crazy here. I would ask them to add this as a super easy to implement feature, very few lines of code need to be added or modified (unless their code is a total mess that is better not to touch, but this is not the case, most likely, as they did upgrade K-3 once that way, with a AA bracketing option). In the firmware that has been released to the market, modifications are expensive.

Those images are super easy to stitch manually, provided the camera does not move (which is super difficult if you have to switch between LV each time), especially that the photographed object doesn't have to be all still.

By the way, in K-3 it would actually be over 32 Mpx (roughly 4768 x 6784, 7/10 ratio), quite a nice picture. And still in frame of virtually all of the APS-C lenses.
It would be very well that it could be done.

Anyway, in my experience, it has been impossible to reach these dimensions (Mpx) since for me it has been impossible to stitch them manually and in Photomerge always are areas with no image in the frame so you must to resize it.

In any case, the image with the 4 images sitched is amazing.
03-27-2017, 11:57 PM - 3 Likes   #104
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On AV mode, have the possibility to insert a minimum shutter speed to not pass under that. If impossible then raise a step the iso. And so one. It's a very important feature, and think that's easy to program for ricoh/pentax engineers. It a feature that cannon has and its very usable all the times.
03-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Facial recognition autofocus through the OVF is my #1 request.