Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-1: Split-Screen Focusing Overlay

Not sure if it's possible to do this via a firmware upgrade, but I would love a split-screen focusing overlay for the optical viewfinder on the K-1. When using a manual focus lens (love my 50mm 1.2!) I find the split-screen focusing screens from the film era (see attachment) easier to use than the focusing points designed for auto-focus lenses. Any possibility of this happening?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS Kiss Digital N  Photo 
03-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

This would require fitting a new screen plus fitting by a service team -shimming may be required... Interchangeable screens for K1 would be appreciated by many others, see similar links in K1 forum. Looks like Pentax is not planning for screens with focus aids. They can cause trouble with metering, ... but with manual lenses they really help. Third party companies like Katzeye went out of business indicating that the overall demand for special screens may be low, but having them available in good quality would make a difference.

The alternative for manual focus would be an EVF in a future camera, but why buy a second camera when only a screen is needed.
05-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

Has anyone tried these? Looks like they modify a Canon focusing screen.

Focusing Screen

Last edited by Dooglas; 05-13-2017 at 02:13 PM.
05-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 does not come with inter changeable focusing screens.

05-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
The K-1 does not come with inter changeable focusing screens.
Yes, Ricoh/Pentax does not sell them and the official position is that the feature is not supported.* Yet, at least one user on this site has done so (sorry, I don't have the link) and focusingscreen.com will sell you one that is cut to fit.

Steve

* Presumably not needed due to the overlay feature.
05-27-2017, 09:25 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Steve, I had forgotten all about that site.