Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 07:13 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Focus Peaking Color Choice

Would it be possible to develop a firmware update, in which the highlighting color of the in-focus portion during Live View ( with focus peaking enabled ) could be changed to a color of choice. Having white, red, blue and possibly green as choices would be a real help with some scenes. Thanks.

01-10-2017, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #2

I would like to this focus peaking color choice as well. It would seem like an easy fix considering Pentax was able to update LCD to show a red-lit display.
01-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Would it be possible to develop a firmware update, in which the highlighting color of the in-focus portion during Live View ( with focus peaking enabled ) could be changed to a color of choice. Having white, red, blue and possibly green as choices would be a real help with some scenes. Thanks.
Why even make it so you have to change it yourself? I mean, the camera is perfectly capable of detecting which color are in the scene. It can just use a complementary color for peaking. So you don't have to change it from one situation to the next, and it's always clearly visible.
01-25-2017, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never understood why Pentax haven't allowed for this feature. I've never liked the current choice of a white outline for focus peaking.

01-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sony has been doing this in their mirrorless cameras for a while now. Shouldn't be too hard for pentax to do the same.
02-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #6

They just have to get the idea
06-10-2017, 02:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Being able to set the peaking colour,.... has been an option in ENG cameras since the invention of Colour Viewfinders.
In consumer camcorders, it's been available since DV launched in the late '90's.
Sony and Panasonic definitely have it on their Mirrorless bodies.
IIRC, on Canon's, you need Magic Lantern to do it, and ML's implementation is fantastic on the 550D and EOS-M

06-10-2017, 03:27 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI, this is the new focus peaking option added starting with the KP. It displays everything in grey except for the white in-focus edges. A bit excessive I'd say, but at least there's hope for more types of focus peaking!
Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2017, 11:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
FYI, this is the new focus peaking option added starting with the KP. It displays everything in grey except for the white in-focus edges. A bit excessive I'd say, but at least there's hope for more types of focus peaking!

Haha, Pentax always does it in their weird but wonderful way.
07-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think that's actually better than picking a different color if all you need to do is manual focus extremely quickly. Not that I don't also want other colors.