Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2017, 04:00 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Young Pentaxian's concerns

Greetings Ricoh,
I am one of the younger, new generation of Pentax users, just entering college. I chose Pentax for the great image quality, bang-for-the-buck, features, and backwards compatibility.
There are a lot of things that I honestly do not mind: noisy screwdrive AF, supposedly "sub-par" Auto focus compared to other brands, and all of the other small things that may be of concern to others, because the features and quality of the imaging experience are superb and well thought out.

However, there is one thing that I cannot abide by, and that is the video quality. The quality of everything else, photographically, is great, but the video quality is quite subpar. I understand that may not be the focus of the Pentax brand, but as a young digital camera user in an age where we are surrounded by moving media, I want to stress to you how important good quality video is to me.
Again, I am specifically referring to the pure quality of the moving image - not bells and whistles like movie autofocus.

I cannot see myself eager to buy another Pentax camera if the movie quality continues to remain at the current quality level, even if autofocus and other features improve, as in the K-70.
Of course, focus peaking while recording, flat picture profiles, audio levels, clean HDMI out, and proper sensor based in body stabilization instead of electronic stabilization would make it near perfect (autofocus is of the least concern), but first, good movie quality please!

With great appreciation for everything you do,
Imp

01-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Greetings Ricoh,
I am one of the younger, new generation of Pentax users, just entering college. I chose Pentax for the great image quality, bang-for-the-buck, features, and backwards compatibility.
There are a lot of things that I honestly do not mind: noisy screwdrive AF, supposedly "sub-par" Auto focus compared to other brands, and all of the other small things that may be of concern to others, because the features and quality of the imaging experience are superb and well thought out.

However, there is one thing that I cannot abide by, and that is the video quality. The quality of everything else, photographically, is great, but the video quality is quite subpar. I understand that may not be the focus of the Pentax brand, but as a young digital camera user in an age where we are surrounded by moving media, I want to stress to you how important good quality video is to me.
Again, I am specifically referring to the pure quality of the moving image - not bells and whistles like movie autofocus.

I cannot see myself eager to buy another Pentax camera if the movie quality continues to remain at the current quality level, even if autofocus and other features improve, as in the K-70.
Of course, focus peaking while recording, flat picture profiles, audio levels, clean HDMI out, and proper sensor based in body stabilization instead of electronic stabilization would make it near perfect (autofocus is of the least concern), but first, good movie quality please!

Imp
Had you have researched prior to buying you would have known video is not Pentax's forte. Hence your rant has really has no merit. So next time research more thorough and get what closest meets your need.
01-08-2017, 04:54 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Had you have researched prior to buying you would have known video is not Pentax's forte. Hence your rant has really has no merit. So next time research more thorough and get what closest meets your need.
Thanks, but I have the same concerns. I guess I should have somehow predicted that I would develop an interest in video six years after getting my first DSLR, investing in a lens system that is weather sealed and otherwise meets my needs photographically. Damn my lack of foresight.
01-08-2017, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Imp Good post. I have no interest in video myself, but I realize many do, especially those of a younger generation. Thank you for expressing yourself in such a polite fashion. Hopefully Ricoh is listening.

01-08-2017, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
A Young Pentaxian's concerns
You have expressed your " opinion " very well. Whether I agree with it or not ( I do by the way ), you have touched on a topic that many users have differing views on, but your views are just as valid. Young photographers like you are the future of Ricoh/Pentax, so your input is valuable regarding features. Continue to keep us " Old " Pentaxians on our toes !!!
01-08-2017, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Greetings Ricoh,

Imp
As a young Pentaxian myself, I could not agree more with the opinion of lmp. pjv said it: while traditional users remain the core of Pentax for now, the future (and, consequentially, an influx of new customers for the brand) lies in what the age we're living in demands: and that is, now and later, both good photo and video. Hopefully Pentax will start to adress this in the next camera generation.
01-08-2017, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I'm not young, but I am aware enough to realize that video is becoming more important every day. Younger users realize this, and the brand won't grow or continue to be viable if Pentax continues to downplay video.

01-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My opinion, I know, is different from many. I (also a young Pentaxian) honestly don't care one bit for video. But as I'm saying that I realize thousands of others do. I think that Ricoh should probably better implement video if they won't to keep and attracts new customers. Though personally I would prefer still features to be improved, mainly speed in AF and FPS etc... After all a DSLR is primarily a stills camera.
01-11-2017, 10:52 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As this Forum Section is Product Suggestions and Feedback , it certainly seems appropriate for input on issues that are important regarding the equipment. Scolding someone for their choice of equipment does not seem to fit here as it is not a suggestion on Pentax products or feedback about Pentax products.

Video is such an important feature these days. That's just indisputable. Creative, energetic, or positive suggestions about what aspects of video are important is a good input for Pentax to receive.
01-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the support, everyone!
01-11-2017, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I'm happy to see the support for OP's view. As a community we can't hide from the weaker aspects of the Pentax system, especially if we want to be part of a brand that keeps growing and improving. The recent improvements made in the K70 are a step in the right direction but there's still a lot we can expect Ricoh/Pentax to be working towards.

I believe it's awful that my mobile phone takes better video (at least in terms of ease of use if not outright quality) than my expensive DSLR.
01-11-2017, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I like my Pentax cameras but being 'old school', I am not interested much in video unless it's just to show my cousin that I can 'Vacuum the dog' and then I use the iPhone. However my grandson whom I have been teaching how to use a camera on manual settings ( using my K3's) is quite good with his iPhone videos and but also loves the cameras. I know he would like the camera to do both.
I printed out one of his photos to show his parents as they did not understand the extent of his talent. Result: parents gave him the Canon camera the bought for themselves and had not used. At some point these younger ones are going to buy for themselves and video will probably be in the decision.
01-12-2017, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Well Oldbay, such a typical fanboy response. I believe this is the product suggestion forum! Nothing wrong with making his suggestions. Not a rant at all. I have been a Pentax shooter for over 35 years. If I needed video, I bought a video camera. Other than that, Pentax for photos. But with the recent rash of QC issues Pentax has had, I have found myself on the fence with moving forward with this brand. That was a bit of a rant.
01-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, Pentax QC is not out of alignment with other bands @ about 4% reported failures / 1st year, especially on the flagships, which are much lower.

I think we all agree that Pentax does not consider video a leading feature at this time and has not indicated (yet) any change to that decision. Younger shooters have a perfectly legitimate question about Pentax video. Their priorities are different than older, still-image oriented enthusiasts. It would be a valid reason for the OP to chose another brand - though IMO he would sacrifice some Pentax strengths in the choosing.
01-15-2017, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also don't care that much about video but I think the OP is right that Pentax can and should do better if Canon/Nikon can. I've been a mostly happy Pentax user for many years, with no complaints about AF speed or framing rates , but I do wish that warrantee service was faster.