Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Auto SR function

In body we can toggle shake reduction on or off, would it be possible to have an auto option?.
When in auto, SR would turn off when the shutter speed exceeded 1.5x the focal length in full frame or 2x the focal length in APS-C.
This would remove one variable in achieving sharp images.
Since the focal length is communicated and the body knows the shutter speed, this could be a firmware change maybe?
Thanks

01-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was not comfortable then the button disappeared then K7 or? K5 came.
Of course Pentax can make a auto option, but are SR on at 1/500s with a 50mm lens?
With K1 you can turn SR off with the right knobs, perhaps with K3III too.
Some have suggested that a electric contact in the attachment for a tripod turn off SR. but i guess some have the attachment on all the time on the camera..
Sorry, i donīt now if SR make a inferior picture with a short exposure.
If you take a self timer pics, SR are off and also in others settings.
but i think the idea are good.
02-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Expanding on this - a great feature would be an automatic SR shutoff when camera is mounted on a tripod.
02-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
Expanding on this - a great feature would be an automatic SR shutoff when camera is mounted on a tripod.
Is that really necessary? Setting the self timer, or mirror lock-up, or IR remote mode automatically turns off SR.

02-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Some have suggested that a electric contact in the attachment for a tripod turn off SR. but i guess some have the attachment on all the time on the camera..
How about when you use a monopod? Or for people (like me) who leave the tripod plate on at all times?

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Is that really necessary? Setting the self timer, or mirror lock-up, or IR remote mode automatically turns off SR.
This.

There are enough way to automatically tuen it off. I rarely, if ever, use a tripod without at least 2 seconds timer.
02-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Forum Member

How can a tripod plate influence SR? Didn't catch the connection exactly. Basically all cameras have an accelerator sensor built in it...all that is required is to monitor this signal (few lines in the code). When the camera is actually steady - the SR is useless and can be turned off. It is not like a dire need, but would be a pleasant addition.
02-10-2017, 05:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

How can a tripod plate influence SR? Didn't catch the connection exactly. Basically all cameras have an accelerator sensor built in it...all that is required is to monitor this signal (few lines in the code). When the camera is actually steady - the SR is useless and can be turned off. It is not like a dire need, but would be a pleasant addition.
The plate does not influence SR. Being on a tripod CAN, and has been shown to do so in the past (some algorithms still tried to correct for movement that wasn't there). Manufacturers generally recommend turning it off when using a tripod.

The comment about the tripod plate refers to the idea that SR could be turned off automatically if a plate was attached to the camera. That would create more problems than it would solve.

02-11-2017, 06:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
I was not comfortable then the button disappeared then K7 or? K5 came.
Of course Pentax can make a auto option, but are SR on at 1/500s with a 50mm lens?
With K1 you can turn SR off with the right knobs, perhaps with K3III too.
Sorry, i donīt now if SR make a inferior picture with a short exposure.
If you take a self timer pics, SR are off and also in others settings.
but i think the idea are good.
There is the menu option and buttons can be configured to turn SR off, so as also mentioned by madphys there is no dire need and it would be a nice to have. I just wanted to limit the upper envelope of SR function for hand held shots. On tripod as also stated, SR is automatically turned off by the timer or MUP functions.
The purpose here is to make implementation as easy as possible for new and existing bodies with just a firmware update, if deemed viable.