Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Dual-dial useless in manual mode with K and M lens series.

I think this one is easy to fix.

When using K and M series lenses with my K-3 II in manual mode, it is not possible to use both dual wheels simultaneously to manage iso and shutter speed (as the aperture must be manually selected). The user has to alternate between them with the ISO button, making the handling more clumsy.

Adding a function in the E-Dial Programming menu that allows using both dials at the same time in manual mode would be deeply appreciated.

Last edited by Leoi; 01-17-2017 at 07:52 PM.
01-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

01-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote

I think Tav is not possible with lens that does not have the "A" function.
01-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Leoi Quote
Correct. However, how do you propose to be able to hand hold a camera correctly while your thumb and forefinger are engaged with the control dials? are you a polydact?*

* The German composer Arnold Schoenberg once wrote a piano concerto based on a 12 tone row. Some of the chords in the work were said to be impossible, only playable by a pianist with 12 fingers to which Arnold replied: "I can wait for that".

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-19-2017 at 01:06 AM.
01-19-2017, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Correct. However, how do you propose to be able to hand hold a camera correctly while your thumb and forefinger are engaged with the control dials? are you a polydact?*

* The German composer Arnold Schoenberg once wrote a piano concerto based on a 12 tone row. Some of the chords in the work were said to be impossible, only playable by a pianist with 12 fingers to which Arnold replied: "I can wait for that".
Like this?

I don't know if I made myself clear: I meant that having to press the ISO button to change either the shutter speed or the ISO is dumb when having 2 dials, so each one can be assigned to each function.
01-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wouldn't Tv mode with one dial set to ISO and one to shutter work?
Or does the camera then change that to TAv mode with a manual lens?
01-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Wouldn't Tv mode with one dial set to ISO and one to shutter work?
Or does the camera then change that to TAv mode with a manual lens?
Tv is changed to Av with a manual lens.

In fact, also P, Sv and TAv

01-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed ... my bad!
01-19-2017, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When using K and M series lenses with my K-3 II in manual mode, it is not possible to use both dual wheels simultaneously to manage iso and shutter speed (as the aperture must be manually selected). The user has to alternate between them with the ISO button, making the handling more clumsy.
I think this one is easy to fix.
Sure, just allow mapping of ISO to the rear button in M mode, but only when a vintage lens is mounted.

Now that is solved, we just need to convince Ricoh that there will be some ROI associated with creating the feature aside from making a single member of Pentax Forums happy. That last bit might sound a little abrupt, but to be honest, in almost 10 years on this site, I can't remember a similar request. I use M mode with non-A lenses a lot and have never wished for such a feature, though now when the suggestion has been made, I concede that it has an allure. In the same vein, so does adding the option of Sv-shift for green button.

Steve
01-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've followed this thread a bit and wondered why shifting the rear dial mode with the ISO button is such a big deal. I've been doing it without complaint since the K10D, I think, so since fall 2006 or so. But I wondered what was wrong with me so I didn't say anything.

In point of fact I shoot mostly manual lenses (I think I have only 4 modern lenses) using a single, fixed ISO ( like, uh, FILM). Once my aperture and shutter speed are set I leave them alone until the light changes.

I guess I haven't wanted to change ISO often enough to notice.
01-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In point of fact I shoot mostly manual lenses (I think I have only 4 modern lenses) using a single, fixed ISO ( like, uh, FILM). Once my aperture and shutter speed are set I leave them alone until the light changes.
we aren't using FILM we are using DIGITAL and DIGITAL should be able to do all the things!

....sorry, I couldn't help myself.
01-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

we aren't using FILM we are using DIGITAL and DIGITAL should be able to do all the things!

I think my digital camera can do all the things, but sometimes I must touch a button first.
01-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sure, just allow mapping of ISO to the rear button in M mode, but only when a vintage lens is mounted.

Now that is solved, we just need to convince Ricoh that there will be some ROI associated with creating the feature aside from making a single member of Pentax Forums happy. That last bit might sound a little abrupt, but to be honest, in almost 10 years on this site, I can't remember a similar request.
It's a good idea but chances of it getting implemented are close to nil. I don't think anybody should devote a lot of time, emotion or energy on this.

Besides not all the Pentax bodies have two eDials or ISO buttons. On my K10D there is no ISO button. I press and hold the OK button and use the front eDial change the ISO. It is no more or less clumsy than having to move my thumb from one of the back buttons to the rear eDial.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-19-2017 at 05:03 PM.
01-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

It may be a joke but it's true.

I'm surprised that ISO is still treated like a second-class citizen in camera UIs -- it feels like a holdover from the days of film when ISO was only changed once every 36 exposures if that. But todays high-DR cameras offer about as much range of usable stops in ISO (e.g., 100-3200 = 6 usable stops) as most lenses (e.g., f/2.8 to f/16).

I'd love a camera with four equally-functional control wheels for speed, aperture, ISO, and EV compensation (most of the time I've got the K-1's third wheel set to ISO but the K-1 3rd wheel is a bit stiff).
01-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Including coffee...

Steve

(...my pet peeve...Pentax K should be K-cup centric...)