Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rear screen switch on/off

I'm very fond of my Pentax K-1, but just can't find my way with the rear screen display. If you don't browse the info button to switch it off, which require nothing less than 5 button press, the rear screen automatically switch off and on at each half-press on the shutter release button of when focusing with the AF button, which is very disturbing (was the case on my K-3 too).

So please Ricoh, could you consider the following usability options in the Menu (which would ideally be implemented in recent bodies through firmware update) :
  1. Auto switch/off of rear screen
    If enabled, the rear screen will enter the No display mode (and will remain so) once you half-press the shutter release button or the AF button. It could also be done by having a long press on the Info button (0.5 to 0.7s will suffice). To switch back to the last used display mode (be it Settings, Levels or Electronic compass), the user will have to have a long press again on the Info button. It also means that the No display mode can be removed from the display mode, to save one button press when cycling the modes. The switch off would occur on_button_release. That's an important fact regarding point #2.
  2. Cycle Display modes with front wheel
    If enabled, press the Info button at least 05-0.7s, keep it pressed and cycle through the display modes with the front wheel, without displaying the Display modes sub-window, to select a new mode. This will also let the user check levels or compass and go back to the Settings display rather quickly without too much button press.

02-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

On my K1, I press the info button twice, turn the rear wheel to what I want, and press the info button or shutter button once.
02-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Which are the 5 button press (or 3 button press + 2 wheel steps in your case), that I've described, too much for something that I do often. As said somewhere on Youtube, it should either be automatic by eye detection or a one button press step.

[PS] If you're answering to point #2, my suggestion is doing so as quickly and with as few manipulation as possible.

Last edited by Ariis; 02-05-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: PS added
02-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only use the rear screen for chimping and after pressing the INFO button.