Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Catch In Focus firmware update

I would very much like to use my SMC Pentax - D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR as a catch in focus lens but as it has no AF/MF switch, I am unable to.
My question/request is whether a firmware update is possible where the AF/MF switch on the camera ( K-3 in my case ) can be set to MF ( or some other button configuration ) to be able to use catch in focus when ANY lens is attached. Thanks.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 05-28-2017 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Typo
05-28-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Insofar as I am aware, CIF works with any lens, simply by switching off the AF on the camera alone and setting the related menu option.
05-28-2017, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I think the OP is right. AF setting of the camera must be on so only manual lenses or those with a AF/MF switch can use CIF.

05-28-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I think the OP is right. AF setting of the camera must be on so only manual lenses or those with a AF/MF switch can use CIF.
Nope, untrue. Just tested on my K-70 + 16-85mm - CIF works fine with it. (body set to MF)

05-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Nope, untrue. Just tested on my K-70 + 16-85mm - CIF works fine with it. (body set to MF)
Must be different to a K-50. With CIF enabled and MF selected on the body the shutter will fire as soon as the button is depressed and will not wait for the subject to be in focus.
The user manual for the K-70 seems to say that it works the same way as the K-50 and AF-S must be selected on the body.

05-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Must be different to a K-50. With CIF enabled and MF selected on the body the shutter will fire as soon as the button is depressed and will not wait for the subject to be in focus.
The user manual for the K-70 seems to say that it works the same way as the K-50 and AF-S must be selected on the body.
You must enable CIF in the camera menu first otherwise it will do exactly as you describe, all Pentax bodies do.
05-28-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
You must enable CIF in the camera menu first otherwise it will do exactly as you describe, all Pentax bodies do.
CIF is enabled in the menu.

05-28-2017, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys might want to peruse this thread> it's about CIF for other than manual focus lenses:

Catch In Focus (Almost a great Idea) Sorry for beating a dead horse - PentaxForums.com
05-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You guys might want to peruse this thread> it's about CIF for other than manual focus lenses:

Catch In Focus (Almost a great Idea) Sorry for beating a dead horse - PentaxForums.com
Pity that people don't try the feature before they post.* With AF "off" on the body, CIF is also off, 'nuff said. This is true for all model Pentax AF SLRs.

Steve

* I am guilty of this at times and have learned that memory requires confirmation.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-28-2017 at 06:36 PM.
05-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pity that people don't try the feature before they post.* With AF "off" on the body, CIF is also off, 'nuff said. This is true for all model Pentax AF SLRs.

Steve

* I am guilty of this at times and have learned that memory requires confirmation.

I only posted the link. I didn't start the conversation Steve. There were arguments in that thread that CIF did work on some AF lenses and the only reason I posted the link.

I couldn't get it to work on any of my AF lenses, so whatever they (those in the other thread) said for it working, I'm not sure why they insisted it did.
05-28-2017, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I only posted the link. I didn't start the conversation Steve. There were arguments in that thread that CIF did work on some AF lenses and the only reason I posted the link.

I couldn't get it to work on any of my AF lenses, so whatever they (those in the other thread) said for it working, I'm not sure why they insisted it did.
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to those who swear that CIF works with AF lenses if the body switch is in the MF position. The thread you linked to pretty much exhausts the topic and also touches on the recurring complaint about back-button focus behavior. As for CIF, the basic rules are pretty simple, though it may be possible to craft an exception case in firmware. The basic rules are:
  • AF must be "on" for the body and set such that shutter release is "gated" by the in-focus condition
  • The lens must be detected by the camera as manual focus
  • Some camera models also require that a lens be mounted (conductive base)
The exception case in firmware might be:
  • Always gate shutter release by the in-focus condition
  • Never actuate the AF motor (body or lens)

Edit: The above firmware fix does not address retracting the AF pawl for lenses that lack in-lens motors. That is a biggie.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-29-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: clarification
05-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

Totally agree but then someone says rhey have tried it and it works whatever the manual says.

05-28-2017, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Closed Account

Original Poster
Hi folks. Thanks for your input into the thread, but I think some members are not sure as to what catch in focus is, and how it works. The tutorial on the forums which is linked below, details how the camera must be set, and which lenses can and cannot be used. AF lenses without an AF/MF switch cannot be used as the camera must be set for AF and AF-S for it to work. Disabling the AF on the lens makes it MF, thus enabling CIF. Page 124 discusses the K-70, page 24 for the K-3, page 110 for the K-1 and so on. All the manuals stipulate MANUAL FOCUS LENSES, either true manual lenses or disabled AF lenses. Catch in focus is very specific and only works in one of three ways. Either setting a fixed focal point and waiting ( with shutter button fully depressed ) for the subject to enter the focus zone, or fully depressing the shutter button and rotating the focus ring until the image comes into focus, thus firing the camera, or presetting the focus on the lens and moving the camera forward or back while fully depressing the shutter button, achieving focus and automatically firing the camera. The Product Suggestion and Feedback forum is to ask Ricoh/Pentax to look at changes/improvements for the equipment. My initial request still stands for the boffins over there to look at, which is, Can something be done to enable ANY lens to be used with CIF? Thanks

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 05-29-2017 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Typo
05-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Can something be done to enable ANY lens to be used with CIF?
That's a firmware I'd like to see too. I have many AF lenses and since my eyes aren't what they used to be, even AF lenses don't work for me anymore. That's why I use only my MF lenses now.
05-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #15
Closed Account

Original Poster
That's a firmware I'd like to see too. I have many AF lenses and since my eyes aren't what they used to be, even AF lenses don't work for me anymore. That's why I use only my MF lenses now.
It would be VERY handy Mar. As Steve ( @stevebrot ) mentioned, screw drive AF might be an issue, but even if a few more lenses could be added to the fold, I would be happy.