Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2017, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #1

FF lenses needed

I've used pentax for a long time I still have my early Spotmatic F camera. I use my cameras professionally and have always found Pentax cameras to be as good as any other but at different periods using Pentax has been frustrating because the accessories haven't been available and that is just as true now as ever it was. Most of the lenses I want were available but no longer, even as used. It is nice that Pentax has added the newer SDM lenses but they are big, heavy and expensive.

I'm a nature photographer and carry my gear on my back, therefore weight is a determing factor. Toward the end of the film era Pentax had the lightest lens and cameras on the market Nikon and Canon were rediculosly heavy , so even though Pentax offerings were limited that was reason enough to continue with the brand.

After my K10D and K5, I purchased the Pentax K1 and am really enjoying it. It works great with my 28-105, and my Fa*400 but I'm again frustrated because I am after a wider angle lens like the 15-30 mm but it's way to big and heavy to add to my kit, and used 17 - 28 which would be fine are gone, very hard to find or over the top in cost.

While Pentax has 2 telephotos that appear to be outstanding my old 400mm is lighter and still gives exceptional results. Also, I find it hard to understand why I can't get a teleconverter or extension tubes for their full frame camera. To me these are obvious accessories that should have been a top priority when the FF camera was in the planning stages.

All that is to say I want to see a lighter wide angle lens, teleconverter and extension tubes for the K1 in the near future.

Garry

06-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Garry Conway Quote
It is nice that Pentax has added the newer SDM lenses but they are big, heavy and expensive.
Well, that is what top-tier FF lenses are. You can go with cool DA limiteds or with the affordable DA 35mm, DA 50mm.. but if you want a f2.8 zoom, it will be big and it will not be cheap.
but I'm again frustrated because I am after a wider angle lens like the 15-30 mm but it's way to big and heavy to add to my kit, and used 17 - 28 which would be fine are gone, very hard to find or over the top in cost.
I would recommend Samyang 14mm, Samyang 24mm f1.4, and DA 35mm f2.4 or FA 35mm f2. F24mm f2, F 28mm are also FF options. Remember, all the legacy FF lenses before the DA series are fully FF compatible. Some are small and affordable and still have reasonable quality. Sigma and Tamron also have some zoom lenses that are affordable and can zoom out to 24mm
06-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well, that is what top-tier FF lenses are.
No, that's what Pentax makes. Nikon makes a top tier 18-35 rated as very sharp for around $1000 CDN that is only about 400 grams. Top tier lenses don't have to be big or expensive, and in the past Pentax has been very good at supplying this type of lens.

I'm actually starting to use an old FA-J 18-35 , that is lightweight probably 7.5 to 8 sharpness that I got as new old stock because Pentax has nothing for me. I do the same type of work as Garry does. What I see, is Pentax going after the lucrative Nikon trinity market, which would be fine with me if they were still going after the outdoor "I have t carry everything on my back" market. The simple fact is, they have walked away from their long term users to court a different market. The simple fact is, they have given users like myself, Pentax users since the 60's cause to start looking at other brands.

I don't want a D810 and the trinity combo only a bit cheaper. If I did, I would have switched years ago. But looking at which system suits me now, Pentax is not looking so good. Pentax has made the mistake of ignoring it's traditional user base to draw customers from other brands. They should have done both. But, their traditional customers should have been looked after first. As it's going right now that Nikon 18-35 is looking awful good to me. My photography teacher once said "find the lens you love, and buy the camera it goes on." The FA-J 18-35 is a hard lens to love. And according to the roadmap, there's nothing coming. What's a guy to do?

MY plan was K-3 for wildlife and birding, K-1 for landscape, but I need an 18-35 /20-35 type ƒ4-5.6 high quality light weight lens. Other companies make them. This is simply a case of Pentax giving the finger to it's user base. The end result for me is very close to being selling the K-1. With current lenses it doesn't do what I bought it for. I'm better off with my K-3 and Sigma 8-16 and possibly going back to a K5II for landscape for increased DR. Like Garry, I've noticed the new, post K-1 Pentax is not what I signed up for.

Last edited by normhead; 06-23-2017 at 05:13 PM.
06-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm pretty happy with my Tokina 20-35 3.5-4.5.... maybe pick up one of those or the Pentax FA version while you wait for a new lens to come out.

06-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No, that's what Pentax makes. Nikon makes a top tier 18-35 rated as very sharp for around $1000 CDN that is only about 400 grams. Top tier lenses don't have to be big or expensive, and in the past Pentax has been very good at supping this type of lens.
Sorry, but I wouldn't call the 18-35 top tier; its build and image quality at the longer end disqualifies it.
It looks like a very good consumer lens, and Pentax needs that too. The 28-105 is a good start, next we might see a telephoto zoom - and then, who knows.
06-05-2017, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sorry, but I wouldn't call the 18-35 top tier; its build and image quality at the longer end disqualifies it. It looks like a very good consumer lens, and Pentax needs that too. The 28-105 is a good start, next we might see a telephoto zoom - and then, who knows.
Yeah, Nikon has had a much longer time to build up a modern FF lineup with all sorts of lenses, including niche lenses and multiple tiers. Pentax was good with releasing some top notch zoom lenses right after the K-1. We can't expect Pentax to give us everything so quickly, though I am sure more wide angle stuff is coming. Probably not long after the DFA* 50mm
06-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I am after a wider angle lens like the 15-30 mm but it's way to big and heavy to add to my kit,
Isn't this lens only 2 lbs?

06-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
The previous SMC Pentax-F 17-28mm F3.5-4.5 was 9oz, that's a better weight for hiking. It doesn't take long for a camera bag to become heavy.

I do agree with Na Horuk, Pentax has done well with the K1 and adding lenses, when Ricoh took Pentax over there was a lot of catching up to do.
06-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't mind shooting manual, get a K 30/2.8. It's one heck of a lens and there's one for sale in the marketplace (I have no association with the seller).
06-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks I'll have a look.
06-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about the FA 20mm f2.8? They come up on ebay periodically from Japanese sellers. I bought one and it is great on the K-1.
06-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I've used pentax for a long time I still have my early Spotmatic F camera. I use my cameras professionally and have always found Pentax cameras to be as good as any other but at different periods using Pentax has been frustrating because the accessories haven't been available and that is just as true now as ever it was. Most of the lenses I want were available but no longer, even as used. It is nice that Pentax has added the newer SDM lenses but they are big, heavy and expensive.

I'm a nature photographer and carry my gear on my back, therefore weight is a determing factor. Toward the end of the film era Pentax had the lightest lens and cameras on the market Nikon and Canon were rediculosly heavy , so even though Pentax offerings were limited that was reason enough to continue with the brand.

After my K10D and K5, I purchased the Pentax K1 and am really enjoying it. It works great with my 28-105, and my Fa*400 but I'm again frustrated because I am after a wider angle lens like the 15-30 mm but it's way to big and heavy to add to my kit, and used 17 - 28 which would be fine are gone, very hard to find or over the top in cost.

While Pentax has 2 telephotos that appear to be outstanding my old 400mm is lighter and still gives exceptional results. Also, I find it hard to understand why I can't get a teleconverter or extension tubes for their full frame camera. To me these are obvious accessories that should have been a top priority when the FF camera was in the planning stages.

All that is to say I want to see a lighter wide angle lens, teleconverter and extension tubes for the K1 in the near future.

Garry

I've shot many lenses on my K1 cameras. The Zeiss 21mm lens is better than the Pentax 20mm offerings (I've owned most of them). If lightweight is critical, the newly designed Zeiss ZF Milvus 18mm f/2.8 is light and reported to have even better IQ than the Zeiss "Classic" 18mm f/3.5 lens that preceeded it (I thought it was very good on my K1). These Zeiss lenses are all adaptable to K mount using Leitax Nikon F to Pentax K adapters.
06-24-2017, 06:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have recently acquired a K20mm f4 that I am very happy with. So far I have just scratched the surface of what this lens can do:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by sibyrnes; 06-24-2017 at 06:59 AM.
06-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The SMC-M 20mm is very small, pocketable even. If you want wider the Rok 14 is not huge, and pretty lightweight. The Tamron 1.4 TC works well with FF lenses, either sdm or screwdrive.
M-20:

Rok 14:

Both with K-1
06-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

Yes. Ones that accept circular filters. The 15-30mm is a non-starter for me simply because of the bulbuous front element means it cannot accept circular filters. This means another 300-500 dollar expense, on top of the lens expensive, for a new lens mount and giant, square filters that are a lot more cumbersome to carry around than a couple, already paid for, circulars in a pocket.

It is ironic that the K-1 is positioned so well in features to be used for landscape and astrophoto work, yet there are minimal wide lenses on the market by Pentax for sale for these uses. Trawling ebay for ancient relics because there are gaps in the brand offerings is a no go. The Chinese 3rd party lenses have no autofocus ability and minimal weather sealing so that is not ideal either.

I just would like to see better lens support for Pentax K mount full frame if I had my druthers.