Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #1

New Crop mode for Pentax K-1

Hello,

Currently, K-1 offsers APS-C, FF, and 1:1 crop ratio.

While I sit waiting for a digital XPAN or something like this, I would really love a 3:1 crop ratio on my K-1. I know this is something that can be done after the shot, but having it in camera along with crop guides in the VF would be better. Maybe, the best of the best would be one "configurable" crop ratio that would be set from the menu. That would allow me to have my 3:1 ratio, or others to prefer a 16:9 or anything.

Only drawback is : is it possible to have any crop marks overlay in the OVF ? Or is it limited to the ratios already existing ?

07-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not possible for mods to the K-1 OVF since it's an LCD overlay that was designed into the K-1 and cannot be readily changed out. What's there is there, and what isn't can't be (unless it could be done with the existing LCD elements).

Specialized guides on the OVF are nice but I think Pentax opted for the most commonly used ones for practical reasons.

I had a panoramic crop pattern in my PZ-1p and though I shot panoramic shots, never used it. I just made sure the picture elements I wanted were in the image and post cropped. Often, I would find desirable compositional changes possible that wouldn't have been if I had used that guide.