Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More XS Lenses

The DA 40 XS is fantastic on my K-1, K10D, and Super Program. It is sharp, it focuses quickly, and makes a smaller camera, e.g., KP or Super Program, pocketable.

Please develop the XS line with a couple more lenses. I would love to see a 28mm f/2.8 XS and an 85mm f/2.8 XS or similar focal lengths. These would make great compact full frame lenses.

08-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not on the roadmap, but they would be nice. The 40XS came with the K-01 as a kit lens. With the death of the K-01 line I'm not sure we'll see any more XS lenses, but we can always hope.
08-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A 24MM XS would be awesome. Canon's 24 STM pancake prime is a perfect example of what I am suggesting.
08-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wasn't the idea behind XS for the lenses to be tiny and/or only usable on mirrorless?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Wasn't the idea behind XS for the lenses to be tiny and/or only usable on mirrorless?
I use my 40 XS on my K-1 regularly, in fact it's the only landscape prime going on this 10 day trip.A 24 Pancake prime would be an unbelievable asset. Canon has one you say?
08-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Canon has one you say?
Yeah, they have a 24mm F2.8 for APS-C.

Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens 9522B002 B&H Photo Video

It's about 2.5x thicker than the 40mm XS, but that's still pretty small.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah, they have a 24mm F2.8 for APS-C.

Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens 9522B002 B&H Photo Video

It's about 2.5x thicker than the 40mm XS, but that's still pretty small.
It wold fit in my Pelican case along with the 200 and 2 TCs and 28-105. That's all I really care about.

08-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

norm, again, the Canon 24 STM that I mentioned is APS-C only. It is also a focus by wire lens which I don't find to be a turn on. So that lens with some Pentax thinking applied seems smart to me.

Honestly, with the DA21, we a
basically already have a pretty good pancake prime in about the range asked for.
08-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
norm, again, the Canon 24 STM that I mentioned is APS-C only. It is also a focus by wire lens which I don't find to be a turn on. So that lens with some Pentax thinking applied seems smart to me.

Honestly, with the DA21, we a
basically already have a pretty good pancake prime in about the range asked for.
OH well. The thing is my DFA 28-105 on the K-1 is already wider than the 21 on APS-c so I still can't even begin to contemplate leaving my FA 18-35 home. I'd really like something with better construction than the 18-35. It's el-cheapo plastic, not the good stuff. A 24 pancake would do the trick. I'd even accept screw drive.
08-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
The DA 40 XS is fantastic on my K-1, K10D, and Super Program. It is sharp, it focuses quickly, and makes a smaller camera, e.g., KP or Super Program, pocketable.

Please develop the XS line with a couple more lenses. I would love to see a 28mm f/2.8 XS and an 85mm f/2.8 XS or similar focal lengths. These would make great compact full frame lenses.
it works well on my K 3

for those who haven't seen this, here is the " in depth "review of the Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/introd...#ixzz4oogyCJAu

" The Bottom Line "

DA 35mm f/2.4 7.5 "Unbeatable Value"

DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited 8.1 "The Complete Package"

DA 40mm f/2.8 XS 7.8 "Lean and Mean"

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/the-bo...#ixzz4ooiI1Vbq

Summary

. . . The 40 Limited has the best build, the best looks, and the best features—but for a relatively steep price.

The DA 35mm f/2.4 and the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS also have much to recommend them. The DA 35, though it's as insubstantial and feature-poor as its bargain basement pricetag might suggest, is a great performer right from f/2.4, and has the advantage (depending on your perspective) of being 5mm (effectively 7.5mm) wider, which can certainly come in handy in certain situations. The DA 40 XS is by far the smallest and lightest APS-C lens currently being made, and is a brilliant street-shooting tool, much like its skinny-but-not-emaciated elder brother. We find 40mm to be a bit of a swiss army knife focal length on a crop-sensor camera—take a few steps toward your subject and it becomes a lovely short portrait lens, take a few steps back and it can capture landscapes, architecture (to a certain extent), and serve as a general walkaround tool.
Ultimately, any of these three will get you great image quality, durable construction (if a bit chintzy, in the case of the DA 35mm), and a compact and lightweight package. Honestly, despite our desire for a faster or slightly wider normal prime, Pentaxians today are a bit spoiled for choice in this general ballpark, and all of the choices are good ones.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/the-bo...zz4oohGSaKRthe conclusion:

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-04-2017 at 12:38 PM.
08-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Please develop the XS line with a couple more lenses.
For a year or two, while I was looking for a compact ultra-wide solution,
I used to dream about a DA 15 XS or DA 12 XS that would extend into the body of my K-01,
like these old Voigtlaender superwides for Nikon F-mount mirror lockup:

Voigtlander SL 12/5.6 15/4.5

Now, I just use the 08 wide zoom on a Q7 or QS-1.
08-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
A 24MM XS would be awesome. Canon's 24 STM pancake prime is a perfect example of what I am suggesting.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A 24 Pancake prime would be an unbelievable asset. Canon has one you say?
I've used Canon's 24mm STM quite a bit and it is fantastic. It's about the size of the 40 Limited. Their EF (FF) 24/2.8 is much larger.

While 24mm would be a nice pancake, I have the FA* 24 and LOVE it. I'd imagine Pentax releases a high-end 24 one day, so I suggested an inexpensive 28mm XS so it doesn't take away from a future DFA* 24.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
for those who haven't seen this, here is the " in depth "review of the Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited

Read more at: Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I owned the DA 40 Limited and FA 43 Limited at the same time. The DA Limited couldn't compare to the quality of the FA Limited, so I sold it. When the K-01 came out, I bought the XS from a Forums member and have really enjoyed it. Both the 40 XS and 43 serve different purposes and each gets lots of use.
08-05-2017, 01:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The XS goes back to the release of the K-01, which I think was a commercial flop, though it certainly has it's fans. I can't see Pentax releasing anything else in the XS line, probably not even anything specifically for APS-C, as they seem to be concentrating entirely on FF these days .
08-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All we need is, say, 26mm in a true Tessar, which something around f3.2 or so max aperture. DC focused, give it WR seals, and we're set! Whose garage are we building these in?
08-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Everything sounds good except the DC focus. This adds size, weight, and more parts to break.