Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #1

3rd Party Development for Pentax P-TTL and HSS with Studio Strobes

Its no secret that in the world of studio strobes Pentax gets shafted over and over. Not enough market share to reverse engineer P-TTL and with that we get barely any support for studio strobes. Yes you can use any strobe you want in full manual mode, but that is not what I am here to talk about. I am talking about having HSS and P-TTL wirelessly for strobes that allow us to actually talk back and forth like the other manufactures get. Priolite is the only brand I know of that supports these features but those strobes are just way beyond the price range most people can afford. I think releasing some kind of SDK or something in regards to working with the P-TTL will help the 3rd party market finally embrace Pentax like it does canikon and others. They have the market share to be worth reverse engineering their TTL capabilities. I think if Pentax were to release some code to allow 3rd parties to develop robust P-TTL solutions, even with our smaller market share, it takes off the burden of reverse engineering for these guys and they will be more inclined to offer Pentax Solutions for us. Even our flashes are limited to only 2 Pentax flashes and some Metz and Sigma's. I heard Yonguo released a P-TTL flash recently too but no HSS. Just spit balling ideas here. Some will say P-TTL is proprietary and shouldn't be released, but as someone who does studio work with strobes now, it would be great to have HSS support and more features to utilize for strobes rather than doing everything manually or shelling out literally $1,500.00 per light head from Priolite.

09-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really do think it's a question of market share. P-TTL has been reversed engineered, such as in B&H's house brand of flashes for Pentax. I'm sure it could be extended to other lighting solutions if there was sufficient interest.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Shooting in lots of studios with other people's strobes, I've not found one where my Pentaxes didn't work.

Now I've got my own Godox strobe too, and it does HSS via a Cactus radio trigger, but not P-TTL.

09-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EUPPhotography Quote
Its no secret that in the world of studio strobes Pentax gets shafted over and over. Not enough market share to reverse engineer P-TTL and with that we get barely any support for studio strobes. Yes you can use any strobe you want in full manual mode, but that is not what I am here to talk about. I am talking about having HSS and P-TTL wirelessly for strobes that allow us to actually talk back and forth like the other manufactures get. Priolite is the only brand I know of that supports these features but those strobes are just way beyond the price range most people can afford. I think releasing some kind of SDK or something in regards to working with the P-TTL will help the 3rd party market finally embrace Pentax like it does canikon and others. They have the market share to be worth reverse engineering their TTL capabilities. I think if Pentax were to release some code to allow 3rd parties to develop robust P-TTL solutions, even with our smaller market share, it takes off the burden of reverse engineering for these guys and they will be more inclined to offer Pentax Solutions for us. Even our flashes are limited to only 2 Pentax flashes and some Metz and Sigma's. I heard Yonguo released a P-TTL flash recently too but no HSS. Just spit balling ideas here. Some will say P-TTL is proprietary and shouldn't be released, but as someone who does studio work with strobes now, it would be great to have HSS support and more features to utilize for strobes rather than doing everything manually or shelling out literally $1,500.00 per light head from Priolite.
You could just shell out a couple of hundred bucks on a flash meter and learn how to use lights. I realize this is a medieval solution, but it does work, and in many ways, it's easier than playing the dancing bear game with technology.

09-21-2017, 03:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cactus has HSS and will soon offer X-TTL. See Cactus V6 II / IIs Wireless TTL HSS Flash Transceiver
09-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You could just shell out a couple of hundred bucks on a flash meter and learn how to use lights. I realize this is a medieval solution, but it does work, and in many ways, it's easier than playing the dancing bear game with technology.
I know. I have some flashpoint studio strobes now and I use a grey card and am pretty decent at getting my exposure dialed in fine. I just would love some studio strobes that are HSS and affordable. P-TTL isn't as necessary as the HSS and I can use my ND filters to mimic the HSS style. It would just be nice to have some support for studio strobes more than the 1,500.00 priolites is all. I figured P-TTL was proprietary and low market share and thought maybe if it was more readily available to manufacturers more products might come out for us to use.

---------- Post added 09-21-17 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Shooting in lots of studios with other people's strobes, I've not found one where my Pentaxes didn't work.

Now I've got my own Godox strobe too, and it does HSS via a Cactus radio trigger, but not P-TTL.

Im not saying we cant use manual studio strobes with pentax, I just wanted to talk about getting more brand support for our own P-TTL and HSS solutions for studio strobes. I have Flashpoint studio strobes now that work just fine with a neewer RT16 trigger set. If I get the cactus trigger for HSS will I still be able to use my flashpoint 620M strobes or will I need something like the Godox strobes you have?

---------- Post added 09-21-17 at 11:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I really do think it's a question of market share. P-TTL has been reversed engineered, such as in B&H's house brand of flashes for Pentax. I'm sure it could be extended to other lighting solutions if there was sufficient interest.
Yeah I wasnt sure if the manufacturers were sharing the reverse engineered P-TTL with others or not. I haven't seen many solutions on the market for Pentax. Speedlights seem to be coming along better, but Id love to see more support in the studio strobe segment for our brand.Primarily HSS but P-TTL would be nice but not needed. I use manual studio strobes now as it is so I could live with that fine but HSS would be nice without having to use ND filters to simulate it for getting the depth of field I want.
09-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah I wasnt sure if the manufacturers were sharing the reverse engineered P-TTL with others or not. I haven't seen many solutions on the market for Pentax. Speedlights seem to be coming along better, but Id love to see more support in the studio strobe segment for our brand.Primarily HSS but P-TTL would be nice but not needed. I use manual studio strobes now as it is so I could live with that fine but HSS would be nice without having to use ND filters to simulate it for getting the depth of field I want.
Based on info about B&H's approach it seems that a lot of effort was involved, and obviously business motivates the withholding of any discoveries/specs that may have been obtained through independent research.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Im not saying we cant use manual studio strobes with pentax, I just wanted to talk about getting more brand support for our own P-TTL and HSS solutions for studio strobes.
In a declining market, why would they introduce a solution for what's essentially a Japanese domestic camera company with a tiny international presence, EUPPP?

Priolite offer expensive studio strobes for Pentax that do P-TTL, and substitute Hypersync for HSS, if that helps.

I have Flashpoint studio strobes now that work just fine with a neewer RT16 trigger set. If I get the cactus trigger for HSS will I still be able to use my flashpoint 620M strobes or will I need something like the Godox strobes you have?
You'd have to ask a member who is also a Flashpoint 620M owner and a Cactus V6 II owner, EUPP.

All I know is my Godox AD360 works. Adorama also rebrand some of the Godoxes as Flashpoints, BTW, such as the Streak.

09-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #9

Anyone experiences with piggybacking a Godox Transmitter(Nikon or Canon)version by a Cactus V6II?
Does the Canon in TX mode release the Godox Transmitter like it would be a Nikon or Canon flash? So HSS, exposure correction etc. work?

interesting topic.
I also wonder why Godox/Neewer/jadajadajada.... never built a Pentax Transmitter...

or Photarex
09-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I also think the lack of lighting support is very frustrating. Pentax seems to be the only system not supported by Godox and Profoto which are the only manufactures that make monolights and speedlights with sharing triggers. Priolite doesn't make a speed light. You can make things work now with Cactus but you shouldn't have to add equipment and make your camera body feel awkward with so much stuff on it. Maybe Cactus will make a monolight.
09-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
I also think the lack of lighting support is very frustrating. Pentax seems to be the only system not supported by Godox and Profoto which are the only manufactures that make monolights and speedlights with sharing triggers. Priolite doesn't make a speed light. You can make things work now with Cactus but you shouldn't have to add equipment and make your camera body feel awkward with so much stuff on it. .
?

The Cactus just sits on top like the radio trigger any Canon or Nikon or Sony owner uses.
09-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #12
Forum Member

So when you use your godox strobe the only thing on your camera is the cactus trigger for HSS. If so how did you set that up?
09-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So when you use your godox strobe the only thing on your camera is the cactus trigger for HSS. If so how did you set that up?
I personally choose 'Pentax' in its little menu for 'camera', and 'Manual' for 'flash'. That's it.

09-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #14
Forum Member

how do set up the strobe?
09-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

how do set up the strobe?
I put the Cactus receiver on it just like any other strobe or flash.

That's it.

If I have Canon or Nikon friends who want to use it, they can, too.