Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

Any chance for using flash in Pixelshift-mode by letting the flash fire like in HSS?

I ask this, because in HSS the flash is said to actually strobe really quickly.

I think it could also work with a simple (P-TTL) flash that is powerful and capable of strobing real quickly... Like the Sigma 610 DG Super... or something alike.
You would only have to get the flash to fire, but when you are in pixelshift, the hotshoe does not do a move... not one.

I already thought about using a Cactus V6II that releases the camera whilst also releasing the flash(that will strobe with about 60Hz)...

If there is anybody with experience in developing cameras and camera firmware, i would love to hear what you think, could this be achieved by a sysparam mod(so a K-70 for instance would release a flash sitting on the hotshoe even if its in pixelshift mode?

or will i have to go the way around with strobing via releasing with Cactus V6II...

I will let you know when i had success... All that just came to my mind a few hours ago... So I did no testing until now, but maybe others also want to take their try on this:
so if i experience any success i will report in here.
Would be nice to hear if someone else tried flashing in pixelshift mode.

09-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I seems like you are really asking about a continuous lighting source .... an LED that stays on throughout the whole exposure sequence of the pixel-shift capture would obviously work. An HSS style xenon flash burst would have to be pulsing for quite a long time. How long does it take to expose a pixel-shift image .... is it 4 times the shutter speed setting?
09-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
How long does it take to expose a pixel-shift image .... is it 4 times the shutter speed setting?
Yes, with a fraction of a second in between each.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: