Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2017, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dissappointed with pentax Shutter Buttons

In 1999 I complained to Pentax Australia about the shutter buttons on the New Mz-5's back then when I took a photo on the right side of the image would be blurry it was so bad that I had to use a tripod for every photo I took. I found that the problem was when I depressed the shutter button I would also be pressing down on the rim around the shutter button as the button did not protrude high enough to allow me to depress the shutter button. So I purchased a roll of double sided tape and stuck on the inside of an old pair of work boots I had and then got my 3/8" leather hole punch and proceeded to punch some holes in the boot where the tape was as I had several cameras then removed the clear plastic from the other side of the double sided tape and stuck these on the shutter buttons on my cameras so my fingers would not contact the body of the camera when I depressed the button and it worked. I reported this to Pentax Australia thinking they would make improvements and they did they didn't fix the shutter button problem as still today the shutter buttons don't protrude high enough to clear the camera body when depressed what they did was introduce anti shake features which works most of the time and now I am getting older I'm not as steady as I used to be so could pentax please make their shutter buttons taller to reduce camera shake caused by depressing the shutter button my newest camera is a K-m next ist-D then Mz-5 Mz-M Mz-50 Mz-10 k-1000, K-500, ME, SFX so as you can see I have been loyal to Pentax all my life won some awards so when I use a 2000m lens I don't want any camera shake from the shutter button my K-m the shutter button is flush with the rim around it please stop making this error.

11-09-2017, 06:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think perhaps you just have big fingers.
11-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Yes I do have big fingers and prior to the MZ series all pentax cameras had taller shutter buttons. Just because the shutter buttons went electric from mechanical doesn't change the need for clearence so you don't cause the camera body to move when you depress the button.
11-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

you can affix something to the shutter button to make it taller... shirt button or something

11-09-2017, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
you can affix something to the shutter button to make it taller... shirt button or something
That's what I would do. Hot glue, epoxy, maybe just rough up the top pr the button with some coarse sand paper and put a dab of black epoxy on it. It could work.

That would be better than waiting for Pentax to change something. (and that leads to frustration, irritation and in the end despair. )

Last edited by normhead; 11-09-2017 at 09:00 AM.
11-09-2017, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just punch some leather with double sided tape stuck to the leather, then stick the round leather to the shutter button. Neat no need for messy glue.
11-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You used to be able to get 'soft shutter release' attachments that screwed into the threaded cable release socket atop the shutter release - or you could use the domed cover from a bathroom mirror screw. There must be many small items that could be affixed to the shutter release button to raise its profile slightly.

FWIW, on my desktop computer the 'On/Off' switch is recessed, presumably to prevent accidental pressing. I found this unhelpful, so scrounged a small wooden self-adhesive ladybird from a friend and attached that. Problem (if such it was) solved. This might also give a camera a slightly quirky look, if that is acceptable.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 11-09-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: mis-spellyng
11-09-2017, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a job for Sugru.
11-09-2017, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I don’t think it is legal to make things to add our cameras, we have to buy them as accessories
Custom SLR ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade (Red, 2-Pack) PDRED B&H
11-09-2017, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
I don’t think it is legal to make things to add our cameras, we have to buy them as accessories
Custom SLR ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade (Red, 2-Pack) PDRED B&H
Of course it is legal to add whatever you want- it is your camera, but the warranty might be affected. After the warranty has run out, that doesn't matter either. You can stick some fins on the rear fenders of your car also, if you wish. But the ready-made solution you present looks like just the thing for button control.

It is important, however, for anyone to learn how to hold the camera and squeeze off shots to get best anti-movement stability for clarity.
11-09-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you mikesbike. You just restored my faith in humanity. If you use black leather it will match the camera body as well.
11-09-2017, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

No, you must not stick fins on any part of your cars either. This would turn it into a fish, and of course we all know that you cannot legally licence and drive a fish on any road in the western world.
11-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Thank you for giving us shake reduction.
11-22-2017, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Today I went to the salvo's for $1.00 I got a leather belt and at Supercheap Auto I purchased some double sided tape for under $11.00. I then stuck some tape to the belt, Punched it with my leather hole punch also a gasket punch. Then I stuck the shutter button extensions on to the shutter button so my fingers don't come into contact with the camera body when I depress the shutter button. The Pentax IstD I used has a piece of leather on the shutter button as well and its a hand held photo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 
12-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This double sided tape isn't working so well I will have to get the better stuff I used on my MZ-5's this stuff from supercheap is not holding properly.