Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lens and Low Light Focusing Advice

Bismillah

I am getting tired of dealing with low light AF struggles during events and I am considering getting some new gear to ease the pain. My event combo of choice is the K1 with a Tamron 28-75 XR Di. I know every camera and lens struggles in low light and I am getting better at manual focusing when the lens struggles, but I am wondering if the Pentax/Tamron 24-70 works better in low light AF and how does quick shift manual focusing help in these situations. Any help is appreciated guys/girls, thanks.

11-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What are you trying to focus on and in what kind of situation? Lately I have taken to live view focusing in zoom mode. I can focus really precisely with that.

In all actuality it just depends on what kind of things you are trying to focus on.
11-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your response. I am almost always focusing on people.
11-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 should be pretty good in low light, so I'm surprised to hear that this combo is struggling. Have you tested the camera with other lenses to see if it could be the Tamron that's at fault?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't fault the camera. These conditions are extreme- almost complete darkness and still it focuses most of the time, it just takes a while (any other camera would struggle just as much). I am just wondering what the best combo is for the most extreme low light conditions i.e. is there a lens that's stands out in these conditions and is quick shift a lot more useful in low light manual focusing situations? Thanks for the response.
11-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have tried to focus in extreme low light situations myself. You are still though leaving a lot of details out about 'what' you are shooting. Can you put up some examples of what you are trying to accomplish?

For me I have tried a number of things and believe it or not I found getting back to a fundamental is good in this case. If you can score a good manual focus lens then you can see all the markings on there about distance etc and use those as a rough guide.

If you are trying to do something like street photography or concerts where people are either moving around quite fast or unpredictably, or if you can somewhat predict what they are doing or where they will be at it's going to determine what your options are.

Given I didn't do it with a zoom lens (rather a fast 50) I prefocused on a specific point with the anticipation that the subject will come to that point. I also find using burst mode has sometimes given an occassional shot or two.

I have used the technique where I prefocused and then paid special attention to which way that I turned the focus ring... which way is farther and which way is closer focal plane wise...and then I would slowly focus (turn the focus ring) while using burst mode.

I sometimes use very high ISO (for me) because it will allow for a sufficient shutter speed. Really the speed of your subject needs to be determined. Just exactly how fast is fast enough to stop the action and then set your ISO accordingly.

Just IMO you're not giving enough information to really offer any reasonable help. Show us some of your misses as examples or at least something as a point of reference.

Personally and maybe it's just me and the phase of learning that I am in, but I think manual focusing is in a lot of ways superior in many instances. It's all just going to depend on the details.
11-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bismillah

I am doing events in reception areas and clubs that involve shooting performers while also shooting portraits and candids of clients. Manual does work but I wonder if quick shift manual focus makes it easier and/or if a certain lens will make it easier to focus in both auto and manual. Thanks.

11-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bismillah

How often does everyone use quick shift in low light situations and do you find it helpful?

Clearly some lenses are better than others. I find the fa 50 1.4 to be terrible in low light additionally I have seen glare from on camera speed lights. Anyone else see this or have a lens that sucks in low light or is great in low light?
11-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA* 55/1.4 is really good at showing me the transition between in focus or out of focus. But it is really slow at locking AF. For your purposes, the people would be gone by the time it locked.
11-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you are using Spot focus, try using zone focus like 9-point. Additionally Tamron 28-75 is not that good at focusing. I have Tamron 28-75 and DFA* 70-200 f2.8, and latter is way responsive compared to former.