Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2017, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I did my first wedding yesterday and used the KP with the FA50mm 1.4 attached and used the Av Bracketing mode, for that exact purpose of 'if I screw up the f1.6 shot, then I get a f2.8 and f.3.5 to work with which should be 'safer' shots if I missed my mark etc. It does seem to be useful.
Absolutely! The goal is to not miss focus, but having a safety never hurts. High fps often gets scoffed at, but minimizing the time between bracketing like this is an added plus. Having real focus bracketing could also be an option, the camera could rack the focus and rattle off a few exposures to help you nail the focus at f/1.4.

I do recall the aperture changing during bracketing on the K-1 once, I actually must find that setting again, the only issue is it changed exposure as well (because it was bracketing), but I might be able to recreate the effect if I lower or make the exposure increments as small as possible (and RAW of course), it's likely I can salvage any results.
Setting the green button to "AV shift" will make bracketing change the aperture (and overall exposure of course)

12-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Absolutely! The goal is to not miss focus, but having a safety never hurts. High fps often gets scoffed at, but minimizing the time between bracketing like this is an added plus. Having real focus bracketing could also be an option, the camera could rack the focus and rattle off a few exposures to help you nail the focus at f/1.4.

Setting the green button to "AV shift" will make bracketing change the aperture (and overall exposure of course)
Ty!
12-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'm just double checking I'm right here. There's no way to manage this feat if actually in Av mode itself? You have to be in M mode?

I've tried with the K-1 to try and replicate what the KP does with it's little Av Bracketing mode but thus far the compromise to get it working takes me too far away from other benefits (such as remaining in TAv or Av mode). I could live with a little variance in exposure, adjust it as necessary, but with the K-1 even if you do settle with M mode, the variation in aperture can be quite small compared to the exposure change. If you set the the bracketing to be only +0.3 deviation, then the aperture hardly moves anyway, push beyond that and you get too strong exposure issues to deal with.

After shooting the wedding on Sunday, the KP definitely had a nice advantage of using that Av Bracketing mode, I really wish the K-1 would get it with a firmware update.
12-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm just double checking I'm right here. There's no way to manage this feat if actually in Av mode itself? You have to be in M mode?
That's correct, in Av mode the shutter will change when you use the 'traditional' bracketing mode. Conversely, in Tv mode, the aperture will change when you bracket. In M mode, setting for the green button determines what changes when you bracket.

There's no way to automate the KPs aperture bracketing on earlier cameras, not without a corresponding exposure shift as you've found out.