Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2018, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #1

For the 645Z: Incorporate Pixel-Shift.

Can you imagine? Pixel-Shift in a 50mp medium format? That would be somewhere around 200mp files from a $5,900 camera... Since the 645Z is considered primarily a landscape camera, wow, what that could be. Price the new Phase One 100mp back and tell me which you'd rather spend money on, if the P-S existed.

04-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
pixel shift doesn't give you more mp, just gives you better pictures at the same mp.
04-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
pixel shift doesn't give you more mp, just gives you better pictures at the same mp.

Pentax K-1 "normal" resolution RAW file size is 47mp. Switch to Pixel-Shift and the RAW file size jumps to 172mp.

04-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tar4heel2 Quote
Pentax K-1 "normal" resolution RAW file size is 47mp. Switch to Pixel-Shift and the RAW file size jumps to 172mp.
That's not megapixels, it's the file size. It goes up dramatically because a pixel shifted raw file contains 4 full raw files.

And while the resolution of the final product doesn't change, each pixel is "worth more", so effectively you could say the resolution increases.

Anyway, I'm sure then next generation 645 body will have pixel shift. I don't think the current hardware supports it since the sensor needs to be moved around very carefully.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's not megapixels, it's the file size. It goes up dramatically because a pixel shifted raw file contains 4 full raw files.

And while the resolution of the final product doesn't change, each pixel is "worth more", so effectively you could say the resolution increases.

Anyway, I'm sure then next generation 645 body will have pixel shift. I don't think the current hardware supports it since the sensor needs to be moved around very carefully.
Excellent point on a technicality, I stand corrected. But that much of an increase in file size indicates that a proportionate amount of increased digital data is contained in the larger image resulting in better sharpness, dynamic range and drastically reduced noise.

If they can solve the blur problem on moving portions of the subject matter, wow... What an image that would be!

Now, when are sensors going to be made with black silicon? That's the major new advancement in sensor technology.
04-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tar4heel2 Quote
If they can solve the blur problem on moving portions of the subject matter, wow... What an image that would be!

They already did, essentially (by only using a single frame's data in those areas). This can be applied in-camera, or retroactively to any PSR file using PDCU.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pixel shifted images are drastically better because they lower the effects of Bayer interpolation. It's like downscaling an image from a higher resolution one. Interpolation artifacts pretty much disappear.

08-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know this is a rather old thread, but I think the topic is still relevant.

Personally I don't see much real practical value of pixel shift. If I have a choice I would rather have the bigger sensor in 645 full frame at 150mp. Pixel shift has a very limited application and will not make a drastic impact of quality in what I am doing. So for my "value book" I would rather take the larger sensor in 645FF which will make a drastic difference.

On the similar related topic, I also don't have much use for image stabilization, lens or body based. Even in action shots I get better results without image stabilization, and if you use long focal lengths it gets a bit "iffy" and once you go low light or use a mono-pod or tripod you have to switch it off anyway, so why pay the extra money for image stabilization and carry that extra weight around? Today's ISO capabilities makes image stabilization close to redundant.

Keep in mind stabilization was a necessity in the film era because of limited high-end ISO films. If you got three stops stabilization then that was equivalent to going from shutter speeds set for ISO 100 to ISO 600. In today's cameras that shift can be done easily, accommodating a real higher shutter speed, without fiddling with your gear.

Just my ten cents....