Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2018, 07:50 AM - 5 Likes   #1

Pre-Raw Noise Reduction in K1 II

With my Ricoh GRll it originally came with raw based vignetting correction. Some people found that this could lead to clear circular banding with some photos, so Ricoh released a firmware update to allow users to turn this feature off.

I would like the accelerator-based noise reduction in the K1 ll to also be user controlled. Ideally, we could have different levels, from strong to completely off, and be able to set the iso level at which it turned on. I would like to upgrade my K1, but I am unsure if I should do so without this kind of control.

05-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Same here.
05-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What they said ^ ^ ^
05-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

+1. Hopefully they will do it before September...

08-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #5

Same here. There are some nasty artifacts, specially in low-light photos...

08-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1-II automated raw noise reduction does not kick in until ISO640. How do you define low ISO?
08-31-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
K1-II automated raw noise reduction does not kick in until ISO640. How do you define low ISO?
Who said something about low ISO?

08-31-2019, 10:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I misread your post. But I am surprised since you are the first person I have heard of seeing nasty artifacts in low light photos with the K-1 II. Unless you are into the astronomically high ISOs.
08-31-2019, 11:24 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
With my Ricoh GRll it originally came with raw based vignetting correction. Some people found that this could lead to clear circular banding with some photos, so Ricoh released a firmware update to allow users to turn this feature off.

I would like the accelerator-based noise reduction in the K1 ll to also be user controlled. Ideally, we could have different levels, from strong to completely off, and be able to set the iso level at which it turned on. I would like to upgrade my K1, but I am unsure if I should do so without this kind of control.
I think at this point is has been concluded, through various reviews and user experiences, that the image quality of the K-1 II is no worse than that of the K-1. On the K-1 II, the additional noise reduction is done in hardware, so they can't just disable it through a firmware option.

However, I'd be willing to bet that future models will offer more flexibility in this regard.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2019, 11:32 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Sorry, I misread your post. But I am surprised since you are the first person I have heard of seeing nasty artifacts in low light photos with the K-1 II. Unless you are into the astronomically high ISOs.
Check the Dpreview review of the camera. They say something about it there.

08-31-2019, 11:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am allergic to that website.
09-01-2019, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own a K-1 and K-1 II. The K-1 II has less noise at higher isos, but otherwise I couldn't tell the difference. If I shoot landscapes, I'm typically at iso 100 in which case they should be dead even. iso 800 and above are typically more snap situations. Even DP Review didn't say that they saw artifacts, they said that there was some detail lost with the accelerator chip. This is a normal trade off -- less noise, slightly less detail.

Personally, the lack of detail is not significant and I have never seen any kind of artifacts with the K-1 II. For those who have awesome noise reduction skills, they can probably produce similar results themselves, but for me, it makes me able to use iso 6400 and 12 K without a whole lot of adjustments.

But this is a discussion that has been worked over. The accelerator chip is not adjustable. It's a piece of hardware that is factory set to do what it does and in my opinion it does it pretty well with minimal penalty.
09-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leoi Quote
Check the Dpreview review of the camera. They say something about it there.
They say a lot of BS about Pentax cameras (and some other brands, except then it's appreciatively). One such example is their "Star Eater on steroids" - except they didn't even test the K-1 II at astrophoto (because it was cloudy or something).

Every detail difference I've seen was marginal under pixel peeping - to the point of being unsure it's not normal variation. That, after eliminating BS claims (see above), different processing parameters, etc.
The noise difference is visible though.

After much deliberation and pixel peeping until my eyes bled trying to see a non-existent issue, I've sent my K-1 for upgrade. The so-called RAW files consist of processed data, and Pentax better keep up than be seen as having noisy, ugly images you have to work a lot on in post.
09-03-2019, 01:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
DPR say a lot of BS about Pentax cameras
Amazon negotiate purchase deals with camera brands, DPR does the promotion. Not really a professional review site, more like a consumer camera promotion site geared towards amazon sales volumes. DPR reviews are now "mass produced" and the content is pretty much always the same "bla bla bla". Whenever I start to watch a DPR video review, my attention drops in the first 2 minutes, my reaction is like "Oh, the same bla bla again".
09-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

My guess is:
- they are flooded with new toys to test (sometimes in nice locations) by certain brands, and they're very gear-centric so the new features are always a huge bonus - so they'd naturally and without realizing become partial to said brands. Pentax is seen as failing for not being Sony.
- they feel good having an "Other" brand to compare favorably their popular-brands-of-choice against ("Star Eater on steroids"...)
- their reader base by large is favoring other brands, and feel good to have an "Other" brand to compare favorably their popular-brands-of-choice against

In other words, it's plain old bias. I don't believe it has anything to do with Amazon sales.