Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lack of K-3 II Body Cap

So I just purchased a new K-3 II and it came with a cheap plastic cover on the lens mount. I can't believe Ricoh would be that cheap??

06-01-2018, 11:41 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wmsnyder65 Quote
So I just purchased a new K-3 II and it came with a cheap plastic cover on the lens mount. I can't believe Ricoh would be that cheap??
A lot of people complain about those plastic covers, but they are actually very good because they don't scratch the contacts on the lens mount (unlike earlier film-era caps) and are quick to put on/take off.

Only with the release of the K-1 (2016) did Pentax create a bayonet body cap that doesn't touch the contacts. I'd expect this cap to be used on future bodies; it's already included with the KP.

It's called the "body cap K II" if you want to try to get one separately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2018, 06:21 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
My main problem is it does not lock on the body, it can fall off too easily.
07-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #4

As Adam said. You can buy a Pentax K mount body cap as a separate item. There are many versions available online, but I'd get a Ricoh/Pentax made one. Same as on the K1.

Pentax Body Cap ? K Mount | Digital Camera Warehouse

07-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wmsnyder65 Quote
My main problem is it does not lock on the body, it can fall off too easily.
I rather like it. When changing lenses, it's easy to put on and take off, which is what I do to prevent dust getting to the sensor. It's never fallen off yet.
07-02-2018, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no idea where my K-3II body cap is, as I’ve never actively used a body cap with any camera. It just seems like an extra unnecessary step when changing lenses or putting the camera away after use - so my body cap tends to be the last lens that I used, then I’ll change it for the appropriate lens on next use. As many here probably also have, I use a lens change technique that seems to minimises the time that the camera throat is open and the bayonet end of the lens is uncovered.
07-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience with those slip fit body covers is 50/50.
A couple fit good and snug and a couple fall right off with a slight shake.
Have gone to bayonet style.

07-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I have no idea where my K-3II body cap is, as I’ve never actively used a body cap with any camera.
The cap from my K-3 is in the shipping box...I think

I tend to keep a lens on the camera so that it may be used to take a picture when I need it to. The only times I use a body cap is when sending a body in for service.

Steve
07-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The cap from my K-3 is in the shipping box...I think

I tend to keep a lens on the camera so that it may be used to take a picture when I need it to. The only times I use a body cap is when sending a body in for service.

Steve
I agree. Just use a lens.
07-15-2018, 03:02 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I agree. Just use a lens.
The DA 40mm 2.8 makes an excellent multi purpose body cap.
07-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I store cameras* with a push-on body cap mounted but my active cameras (K-1, KP) always have a lens mounted. AFA the new Pentax locking body caps, I attach the rear cap from the mounted lens to the body cap and slip the pair in a pocket in my camera bag.

* Film cameras, K10D, K-01 etc.
07-16-2018, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I store cameras* with a push-on body cap mounted but my active cameras (K-1, KP) always have a lens mounted. AFA the new Pentax locking body caps, I attach the rear cap from the mounted lens to the body cap and slip the pair in a pocket in my camera bag.

* Film cameras, K10D, K-01 etc.
I store all cameras the same. In bag with lens ready to go. This is true of my "retired" cameras as well as "active" cameras
The only difference is that "retired" camera has battery in bag itself instead of in camera.
07-27-2018, 02:51 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Some times we need covers for the lens, the flash gun place and the viewfinder.
For example it is difficult to find some accessories for older bodies and I wonder if Pentax could publish the prototypes in order to give me the opportunity to print an accessory for my Pentax Z-1 (Viewfinder cup etc.)
07-28-2018, 04:16 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I store all cameras the same. In bag with lens ready to go. This is true of my "retired" cameras as well as "active" cameras
The only difference is that "retired" camera has battery in bag itself instead of in camera.
I usually store the camera with lens attached also but still use the cap once in a while.
08-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My K-5 came with one of those and I've never had a problem with it. It's even quicker to work with.