Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Limited A-Series Manual focus lenses

Ricoh/Pentax should bring back a modernized version of some of the A-Series manual focus lenses. WR modern coatings. Ditch the aperture rings etc.

Nikon still makes their manual focus lenses which means there is a market for it even without giving the end users aperture control.

07-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

They aren't WR, but Samyang has some pretty good ones. Also Voigtlander (Cosina) & Zeiss did for a while.
07-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They aren't WR, but Samyang has some pretty good ones. Also Voigtlander (Cosina) & Zeiss did for a while.
Ricoh/Pentax should produce new ones based on the 28mm ƒ2 comes to mind. The 20mm ƒ2.8 would be nice.
08-25-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
pxt

I don't see with limited MF lens when you can use AF len in that way...

08-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
I don't see with limited MF lens when you can use AF len in that way...
Well, if only they could make an AF lens which actually has a focus ring that is pleasant to use. Most AF lenses have narrow and not very well dampened focus rings with a short throw.

That said, I prefer AF most of the time if I have the choice.
08-25-2018, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh should concentrate their very limited resources on producing lenses that will make them money...
08-25-2018, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Well, if only they could make an AF lens which actually has a focus ring that is pleasant to use
They already have. DFA* 50mm 1.4

08-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 3 amigos, FA Limiteds are quite nice to manually focus. I use them all the time with my LX.
08-25-2018, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The Fatty is ergonomically the nicest modern lens I have ever used. Manual focus is every bit as good as an A lens.
08-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You can also get new MF glass in K mount from Irix (ultra wides) and Lensbaby (85mm) among others. There is a thread about available K mount lenses here somewhere.

About the idea, I like it too but it is highly unlikely. The thing is, as good as some of the old MF glass back in the day, the game has moved on. Pixel peepers walk the earth now and will have all sort of unkind things to say when they get their hands on these re-released classics.

Perhaps some entrepreneur can license some of the classic designs from Pentax but I don't see that happening either.
08-25-2018, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Fatty is ergonomically the nicest modern lens I have ever used. Manual focus is every bit as good as an A lens.
Cool! I haven't looked at that lens as it isn't my kind of lens. But great that they've actually made a modern lens with a proper focusing ring. I guess it's simply not possible to do that with screwdrive AF without making it very sluggish.
08-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
pxt

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Well, if only they could make an AF lens which actually has a focus ring that is pleasant to use. Most AF lenses have narrow and not very well dampened focus rings with a short throw.
What do you think about Pentax 70-200/2.8 lens then?
08-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
What do you think about Pentax 70-200/2.8 lens then?
Another lens that I haven't looked at. I know it's fantastic, but it's not my kind of lens. Really happy to have my complaining shoved back down my throat, though
08-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't agree with anything any one has said here. If Ricoh/Pentax made a few modern A-series manual lenses especially on the wide angle end these lenses would sell. Wider than 28mm the focus to infinity is so short that you don't really need to focus such lenses anyway. They are ideal for landscape applications out in the field.

The D-FA 50mm ƒ1.4 is not going to get a single person to switch to Ricoh/Pentax. This lenses does not fit into the traditional sensibilities that has sustained Pentax over the years. The D-FA50mm ƒ1.4 was a waste of resources that should have been better spent.
08-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I don't agree with anything any one has said here. If Ricoh/Pentax made a few modern A-series manual lenses especially on the wide angle end these lenses would sell. Wider than 28mm the focus to infinity is so short that you don't really need to focus such lenses anyway. They are ideal for landscape applications out in the field.

The D-FA 50mm ƒ1.4 is not going to get a single person to switch to Ricoh/Pentax. This lenses does not fit into the traditional sensibilities that has sustained Pentax over the years. The D-FA50mm ƒ1.4 was a waste of resources that should have been better spent.
In my extensive experience with Pentax A manual lenses and growing experience with the D FA* 50/1.4 my opinion is you might not agree but you are certainly wrong.They might sell 100 manual focus WA lenses to mount on the 50 stripped down FF bodies they could sell with them.