Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suspender Hack

A couple years ago I was out hiking and a woman had her camera tethered to her using a pair of suspenders. It allowed a hands free way of carrying the camera and it was on the upper part of her chest and she could just pull the camera away from her body, put the camera up to look through the viewfinder and then take the shot. I don't know how she wrapped this around and wanted to know if anyone out there has used this and how you wrap this around you to make it work.

08-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #2
Forum Member

Something like this maybe?
BlackRapid 361003 Replacement for BlackRapid RSD-1BB | B&H Photo
08-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Luc, what I'mm looking for is a way to transport the camera hands free with it being kind of strapped to my chest.

I will be wading through some water that could be waist high while navigating with walking poles in each hand.I'm afraid that the link you posted would hold the camera too low to the water.
08-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Google "binocular harness." They are often used when hunting to keep binos handy and out of the way of brush, etc.
Here's one Steiner ClicLoc Harness

08-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

As said above, consider one of the binocular harnesses designed to hold binos close to the chest. You'll want one of the more substantial designs like those from Hornady, Badlands, or such, rather than the simple elastic kind commonly available for around $20. Thise are great, but tend to sag, and if you're wading, sagging isn't an acceptable risk. Here's a link to one option:

BINO BASICS - Optics - GEAR

Youd want to make sure you could cinch it up tight enough not to bounce to water level, but also where you could still pull it up to eye level, also. Might be worth a call to Badlands. They're a great company with sterling customer service and warranty. I'm a decade deep into using one of their daypacks, and it's been pretty hard used, and still looks almost brand new.
09-01-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ok2day, did you ever find a suitable harness? If so, what did you find? I was checking out some possibilities, because this sounds like a stellar idea. Found this page that has multiple ideas, some of which look adoptable/adaptable: Wear Your D-SLR Stress-Free: Custom Straps And Harnesses | Shutterbug, and this one from Etsy - check out the harness with the cross-piece on the chest. Using a snap-clip or a carabiner to hold it tight and then release it for use. There are also possibilities out there that may be useful for attaching a camera to your backpack straps.
09-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GinaC Quote
ok2day, did you ever find a suitable harness? If so, what did you find? I was checking out some possibilities, because this sounds like a stellar idea. Found this page that has multiple ideas, some of which look adoptable/adaptable: Wear Your D-SLR Stress-Free: Custom Straps And Harnesses | Shutterbug, and this one from Etsy - check out the harness with the cross-piece on the chest. Using a snap-clip or a carabiner to hold it tight and then release it for use. There are also possibilities out there that may be useful for attaching a camera to your backpack straps.
@GinaC I was in the Narrows at Zion National Park, I don't know if you've ever hiked there but you walk in the river over slippery rocks so I left the camera at home. I took a little point and shoot camera that didn't require a dry bag, if I fell in the water (which didn't happen), it wouldn't be a big loss.

Your link has some cool possibilities!