Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generic Long-Lens Support

All,

I made a lengthy telephoto lens by combining a Tamron Adaptall 60-300 SP with two 01F 2x teleconverters. Takes nice photos...when you let it have 12s per shot and all local vibration has stopped and and and...

On my fairly-sturdy aluminum Slick tripod, which handled the Tamron with one adapter, even its sturdy nature isn't enough to balance the K-3 with the double on it. Therefore, I am looking for some sort of generic collar or support system I could attach to balance. I don't have a quick-release plate - just a knob which lowers into a lock point.

Thoughts?

08-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Maybe you'll like something like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554350-REG?

It's a Manfrotto 293 long lens support. Previously Bogen. Maybe you can find a second hand somewhere.

08-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #3

That's a cool support bracket. Only two limitations I see are a lack of vertical adjustment for the front support alignment to the rear support (which limits the lens bell diameters with which this kit will work effectively) and a likely lack of stability in portrait mode, which would be easy enough to fix with a better cradle design at the front. But cool, nevertheless.
08-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
That's a cool support bracket. Only two limitations I see are a lack of vertical adjustment for the front support alignment to the rear support (which limits the lens bell diameters with which this kit will work effectively) and a likely lack of stability in portrait mode, which would be easy enough to fix with a better cradle design at the front. But cool, nevertheless.
It doesn't "need" front height adjustment, since the camera side has a pivoting base. The setup will not be level with the bottom, but it will be stable. For portrait mode, that's what the belt's for, but I would be more worried about focusing or zooming with that belt strapped around the lens, since most lenses don't have much space between moving rings. An AF lens that doesn't move the manual ring while focusing would certainly have no problem with this support bracket.

08-18-2018, 08:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

After looking at the pictures of the lens in the review database, I think that if you put the strap around the aperture ring and use it in A mode, that it should allow you to push/pull zoom and focus without problems. The review page also has two pictures in which you can see a tripod collar put around the aperture ring (second one), and focus/zoom ring (the last one, which I think is weird and not practical - maybe shooting at hyperfocal distance and push/pulling the camera?).

08-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
It doesn't "need" front height adjustment, since the camera side has a pivoting base. The setup will not be level with the bottom, but it will be stable. For portrait mode, that's what the belt's for, but I would be more worried about focusing or zooming with that belt strapped around the lens, since most lenses don't have much space between moving rings. An AF lens that doesn't move the manual ring while focusing would certainly have no problem with this support bracket.
While the pivoting base sort of addresses the complaint I had about adjustability, it doesn't, really, as it leaves the end of the lens sitting on the leading or trailing edge of the front support, rather than the full width of it, which is less overall support for vibration dampening and such. Moreover, it still doesn't address the portrait mode support issue at all. I'd argue that a simple vertical adjustment on the front section (via a slider with a tension screw) would be head and shoulders above the tilting camera base. But, I'm not the one buying this contraption, so it ultimately doesn't matter to me. You might see if anyone you know has access to a mill, and just machine an aluminum tension ring with a tripod foot on it. Probably could be done pretty cheaply, as it would just be some metal parts milled/machined, and a properly threaded hole tapped into the newly machined foot, along with a thumbscrew to tighten the tension around the lens barrel. Then use a monopod on the camera and you have excellent support. But not everybody has access to machining/milling friends as do I.
08-23-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You don't need to machine the thumbscrew. It can be bought for almost nothing (plastic + metal). I have one all-metal, but I'm not sure you can find them from Chinese vendors on Ebay.

If you build your own long-lens holder, I'd be curious to see the picture. I might try to imitate your design...

08-23-2018, 06:35 AM   #8

Yeah, I wasnt suggesting machining the thumbscrew. Just the ring for the lens barrel and the tripod foot.