Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fast Zoom for Indoors

All,

I have two lenses which both do a decent job under good light conditions (usually outside) and indoors with flash, namely:

Tamron AF (IF) 79D/179D 28-105mm F4-5.6 Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

and

SMC Pentax-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database.

I also have the 50mm Pentax AF - SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - this is a lovely fast 50.

What I have found, is that in situations where I want to be more unobtrusive (such as a kids' party or other social event) and avoid use of a flash, the zooms are just a touch on the slow side. I would like to find something in the range of between 10 and 30 up to 70 - 150, with 4 or faster aperture at the long end (depending on final length).

Of course, finding one that is sensible with my budget AND autofocus AND has a decent range, aperture, and image...is likely a pipe dream. However, looking over the reviews, here are the ones that seem "doable" (say, less than $500) for me, even some MF - thoughts or experiences?

SMC Pentax-A 28-135mm F4 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-F 35-135mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-M 35-70mm F2.8-3.5 Reviews - M Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Sigma 28-105 2.8-4 DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Tokina AT-X PRO SV 28-70mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm F2.8-3.8 VMC Macro Focusing Zoom Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar Series 1 (Komine) 28-90mm F2.8-3.5 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Variable Focusing Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar (kobori) 35-105 f/3.2-4 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Promaster 28-70mm 2.8-4.2 Macro Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Makinon 35-105mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Or should I just be looking for a fast, high-resolution, wide prime which has AF and I can crop in PP? Thanks, all!

11-19-2018, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Gonna suggest something not on your list if you don't mind. I will personally vouch for the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro HSM (Contemporary) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I do a lot of concert and paid event photography gigs and it has been a workhouse in my kit. Very well rounded, a pleasure to use, versatile, within your parameters and Sigma lens come with that extended warranty provided you register the product. It's got great Autofocus too; which would be a boon if you're doing a lot of kids' candid shots. It's both fast and quiet. I bought mine on special for $350 (lowest price I've ever seen new for it) from B & H. It's usually $400-450. Some of my customers' favorites have come from this one. This along with my Sigma 30 f/1.4 are the MVPs in my Pentax kit.
11-19-2018, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For house and small venue gathering, I use my DA* 16-50 f/2.8 and can't remembering wanting for anything longer (with ASPC). Lately, I find myself using a recently acquired DA 21 for such events. It's smaller and less obtrusive than the 16-50.
11-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 24thNomad Quote
Gonna suggest something not on your list if you don't mind. I will personally vouch for the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro HSM (Contemporary) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I do a lot of concert and paid event photography gigs and it has been a workhouse in my kit. Very well rounded, a pleasure to use, versatile, within your parameters and Sigma lens come with that extended warranty provided you register the product. It's got great Autofocus too; which would be a boon if you're doing a lot of kids' candid shots. It's both fast and quiet. I bought mine on special for $350 (lowest price I've ever seen new for it) from B & H. It's usually $400-450. Some of my customers' favorites have come from this one. This along with my Sigma 30 f/1.4 are the MVPs in my Pentax kit.
Thank you! I'm definitely adding that to my list. Also, even the older Sigma 17-70s seem to have very good ratings.

It's funny. This situation is not one I had really considered until my 6 y/old's birthday party photos. They came out fine, but very noisy, due to ISO adjustments, or blurry, if I capped the ISO. You don't really realize you have a gap until you see it plain as day.

---------- Post added 11-19-18 at 12:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
For house and small venue gathering, I use my DA* 16-50 f/2.8 and can't remembering wanting for anything longer (with ASPC). Lately, I find myself using a recently acquired DA 21 for such events. It's smaller and less obtrusive than the 16-50.
This one? SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

11-19-2018, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
This one? SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Yes. You can cash in on the SDM scare and find them used for a good price. Worse case is you convert to screw drive. There are other worthwhile lenses too. I was mainly sharing my experience, especially with regard to focal length I mostly use.
11-20-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't overlook the DA 20-40mm f2.8-4. It can be found used well within your budget.
11-20-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

i have a couple of screw drive da* zooms for sale in the marketplace. both well within your budget.

11-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

All,

I have two lenses which both do a decent job under good light conditions (usually outside) and indoors with flash, namely:

Tamron AF (IF) 79D/179D 28-105mm F4-5.6 Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

and

SMC Pentax-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database.

I also have the 50mm Pentax AF - SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - this is a lovely fast 50.

What I have found, is that in situations where I want to be more unobtrusive (such as a kids' party or other social event) and avoid use of a flash, the zooms are just a touch on the slow side. I would like to find something in the range of between 10 and 30 up to 70 - 150, with 4 or faster aperture at the long end (depending on final length).

Of course, finding one that is sensible with my budget AND autofocus AND has a decent range, aperture, and image...is likely a pipe dream. However, looking over the reviews, here are the ones that seem "doable" (say, less than $500) for me, even some MF - thoughts or experiences?

SMC Pentax-A 28-135mm F4 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-F 35-135mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-M 35-70mm F2.8-3.5 Reviews - M Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Sigma 28-105 2.8-4 DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Tokina AT-X PRO SV 28-70mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm F2.8-3.8 VMC Macro Focusing Zoom Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar Series 1 (Komine) 28-90mm F2.8-3.5 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 Variable Focusing Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar (kobori) 35-105 f/3.2-4 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Promaster 28-70mm 2.8-4.2 Macro Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Makinon 35-105mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Or should I just be looking for a fast, high-resolution, wide prime which has AF and I can crop in PP? Thanks, all!
What camera body are you using?

Rather than purchase a new lens, you might purchase a KP, which is reported to make much higher ISO values usable. Personally, I believe that is where photography is heading - higher ISO rather than wider apertures {and the resulting paper-thin DOF}
11-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
i have a couple of screw drive da* zooms for sale in the marketplace. both well within your budget.
Wow - $250 for a converted *16-50 is a good price.
11-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What camera body are you using?

Rather than purchase a new lens, you might purchase a KP, which is reported to make much higher ISO values usable. Personally, I believe that is where photography is heading - higher ISO rather than wider apertures {and the resulting paper-thin DOF}
I might purchase a KP, but I'm using a K-3 now, and I am not sure the performance is quite enough to justify a body switch.

Looking at the prices, used, on Ebay and here:

K-3 II: $550 - $900
KP: $800 - $1,100
K-1: $1,000 - $2,000
K-1 II: $1,700 - $2,200

I'm not terribly worried about the weight difference - KP (703 grams; 1.55 lb) vs K-1 (1010 grams; 2.2 lbs). It seems like a KP and a K-1 would be roughly the same price, used. Is there a reason not to simply wait for the K-1 II to come down in price, or the potential for a K-3 III? I'm curious, as the K-1 seems logical to me, but I haven't looked at the comparison between KP and K-1 (and K-1 II) enough to know, and I'm interested in your own experience, if any. Thank you!

I'm assuming, of course, that Pentax maintains lens compatibility, so that I can go out and obtain a faster short zoom now, and it will work fine if I get a K-1 next year.
11-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Is there a reason not to simply wait for the K-1 II to come down in price, or the potential for a K-3 III? I'm curious, as the K-1 seems logical to me, but I haven't looked at the comparison between KP and K-1 (and K-1 II) enough to know, and I'm interested in your own experience, if any. Thank you!

I'm assuming, of course, that Pentax maintains lens compatibility, so that I can go out and obtain a faster short zoom now, and it will work fine if I get a K-1 next year.
I wasn't advocating for the KP in particular, just using it as an example - I was suggesting that better body performance might be the best course for you, but if you want {and can finance} going both better lens performance and better body performance, getting a new lens now and waiting for a future body sounds like a great plan to me.
11-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wasn't advocating for the KP in particular, just using it as an example - I was suggesting that better body performance might be the best course for you, but if you want {and can finance} going both better lens performance and better body performance, getting a new lens now and waiting for a future body sounds like a great plan to me.
Ahhh! Got it - thanks.

Let me know if you want to have coffee sometime, as well. I see we're relatively close in locale.
11-21-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Either that screw converted 16-50 or a Tamron 17-50 would be my first choices. Tamron's 28-75 is something like $375 new right now and there are folks that *love* that lens for indoor shots where a bit more reach is wanted. I'm also a fan of the Sigma 28mm EX DG f1.8.

I'm a bit confused at folks suggestions variable aperture zooms or lenses that are slower than f2.8 max.
11-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Either that screw converted 16-50 or a Tamron 17-50 would be my first choices. Tamron's 28-75 is something like $375 new right now and there are folks that *love* that lens for indoor shots where a bit more reach is wanted. I'm also a fan of the Sigma 28mm EX DG f1.8.

I'm a bit confused at folks suggestions variable aperture zooms or lenses that are slower than f2.8 max.
Thank you for the suggestions! I will add them to my review list.

---------- Post added 11-21-18 at 01:01 PM ----------

Also, are you suggesting the Sigma 28mm for the sharpness factor, then cropped to produce the same outcome as a zoom?
11-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't see what is confusing about using a lens with a smaller aperture if it is less costly ..... then "compensating" by using a body capable of gracefully handling higher ISO values.