Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2018, 05:28 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
The USB version of the SDK does allow nudging the focus back and forth. It only works in liveview. It took a while to get it to work as I could not compile the sample app on my Opensuse computer so I had to install a copy of Ubuntu under VirtualBox. Also had to wait for my K1v2 power supply to arrive as these kinds of lengthy programming tasks are not feasible using batteries. Anyway, I am happy that the facility is available and will try to write a program over Christmas to try some focus stacking.

12-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thepedant Quote
The USB version of the SDK does allow nudging the focus back and forth. It only works in liveview. It took a while to get it to work as I could not compile the sample app on my Opensuse computer so I had to install a copy of Ubuntu under VirtualBox. Also had to wait for my K1v2 power supply to arrive as these kinds of lengthy programming tasks are not feasible using batteries. Anyway, I am happy that the facility is available and will try to write a program over Christmas to try some focus stacking.
I look forward to your results. As I mentioned, I do a lot of focus stacks and would find a routine that automates moving the focus ring to be very useful.
I'm not sure if this is possible from the SDK, but a very useful way of enabling this would be to show the camera the dear and far focus range (manual focus and shutter button press or some such), and then let the camera figure out how many exposures are required based on aperture set, and let it make it happen.
12-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #18

I run a (very expensive) focus stacking microscope, Keyence VHX-5000. Setting top & bottom is exactly how it operates, with manual number of images or full auto. It moves the entire camera & lens together. I think knowing the dof for every lens & aperture would be prohibitive, so you'd want to stick to one lens. Of course Keyence know the dof of their lenses at each power. I've wondered how the OM-D EM-1 did it, maybe only with zukio lenses.
12-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wrench.doozer Quote
.....I think knowing the dof for every lens & aperture would be prohibitive, so you'd want to stick to one lens.....
Actually, the DoF is a very simple math function of focal length, aperture, and magnification. The CPU in a camera could literally compute it less than a microsecond. And even if the camera does not know the focal length, aperture, and magnification of the lens, data available in the CDAF system can directly estimate the DoF in lens motor ticks.