Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
It's mentioned in at least one of the reviews:
I guess I got this one wrong.

A little Google work indicates that the problem is well-known in Pentax circles, has been for several years, and may be limited to Pentax (reports properly for Sony in one review). Strangely, the correct value is captured in the makernotes, but not recorded in the standard EXIF if the value is below 10mm. There is even a program to rewrite the EXIF posted here on PF.

Sigma 8-16mm modifier program - PentaxForums.com

-- or --

A discussion on the ExifTool site including a script suggested by Phil Harvey for ExifTool (he is the author):

Workaround for Sigma 8-16mm requested

Steve

07-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess I got this one wrong. A little Google work indicates that the problem is well-known in Pentax circles, has been for several years, and may be limited to Pentax (reports properly for Sony in one review). Strangely, the correct value is captured in the makernotes, but not recorded in the standard EXIF if the value is below 10mm.
Thanks Steve. So my reason for mentioning it in this thread is because it seems to be a Pentax camera firmware issue in terms of not reporting the focal length - unless it's a bug in the Pentax version of the Sigma lens itself.
07-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
it seems to be a Pentax camera firmware issue in terms of not reporting the focal length - unless it's a bug in the Pentax version of the Sigma lens itself.
There is something strange in how the firmware handles the information such that it stores the value in the makernotes, but not in the standard EXIF in the same manner as longer focal lengths.

Steve
07-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is something strange in how the firmware handles the information such that it stores the value in the makernotes, but not in the standard EXIF in the same manner as longer focal lengths.
Sounds like a bug to me.

10-14-2019, 05:20 AM   #20
Forum Member

I generally use a pencil because most of my lenses are manual. I do not do a lot of lens changing so its really not much of an issue.
10-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mercifulfate Quote
I generally use a pencil because most of my lenses are manual. I do not do a lot of lens changing so its really not much of an issue.
If you're using manual lenses, then you'll need to set the focal length when you mount the lens. This won't work for the Sigma 8-16.